Finally, the My Pillow Guy Will Have His Day in Court!

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have major problems with these "defamation" and anti-slander types of laws... First of all, they exist solely for the super-rich -- because I don’t know if anyone here has ever tried to sue someone else for slander or defamation, but it's nearly impossible for regular people to do.

...These types of laws that are reserved exclusively for the rich and famous, are really a waste of us normal people's tax money, because to top it off, us regular people have to foot the bill for the court processes, for these 1 percenters to sue each other. How ridiculous is that? o_O

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let's hope it doesn't rise from a MyPillow. Krakens are cranky enough even with a good nights sleep.

I'll admit, the pillows are horribly uncomfortable. I had one, and it felt like a pile of styrofoam balls. It was horribly lumpy.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have major problems with these "defamation" and anti-slander types of laws... First of all, they exist solely for the super-rich -- because I don’t know if anyone here has ever tried to sue someone else for slander or defamation, but it's nearly impossible for regular people to do.

...These types of laws that are reserved exclusively for the rich and famous, are really a waste of us normal people's tax money, because to top it off, us regular people have to foot the bill for the court processes, for these 1 percenters to sue each other. How ridiculous is that? o_O
In civil cases the litigants typically have to pick up the tab. Lots of people don’t know that.

Lawsuits are about the only to remind lying loudmouths that words have power. Dominion thinks that Pillow guy is a lying loudmouth.

• Informative
Reactions: Landon Caeli
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In civil cases the litigants typically have to pick up the tab. Lots of people don’t know that.

Lawsuits are about the only to remind lying loudmouths that words have power. Dominion thinks that Pillow guy is a lying loudmouth.

But Peggy Sue can't sue Jimmy Jones who called her a floozy on the dance floor at senior prom. These special laws are reserved exclusively for the filthy rich... That's why I don't like them -- because there shouldn't be special laws for certain people, based on how rich or poor they are.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But Peggy Sue can't sue Jimmy Jones who called her a floosy on the dance floor at senior prom. These special laws are reserved exclusively for the filthy rich... That's why I don't like them -- because there shouldn't be special laws for certain people, based on how rich or poor they are.
Ok. Rich can sue rich lying loudmouths. Poor lying loudmouths get a free pass.

Upvote 0

adrianmonk

Recursive Algorithm
Jan 14, 2008
Seattle, WA
✟218,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well I hope not since I showed up on page 1. Seriously though, don't you think the My Pillow Guy would have a significant chance of defeating Dominion if he was being represented by Ben Matlock? Oh wait forget that. Denny Crane.

Maybe if he was represented by Vincent Laguardia Gambini and if the MyPillow guy was a Yute.

• Haha
Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,856.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
But none of them had proof to present. He says he does.

But almost all of them said they had proof, right up to the point where they actually had to produce it in a setting where lying could result in jail time.

Reactions: MIDutch
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
But almost all of them said they had proof, right up to the point where they actually had to produce it in a setting where lying could result in jail time.

Somehow I don't think that will disturb this individual.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunetly even if the my pillow guy magically had evidence of voter fraud, he won't actually be able to present it, unless it's evidence of the voting machines, any other form of voter fraud won't be allowed. You can only present evidence pertinent to the case. As the only defense he has is that dominion fraudulently gave the election to Biden, not any of the other forms of fraud. He could be 10000000% correct about the election being a fraud, but if dominion had nothing to do with it, he still loses.

Upvote 0

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟270,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why? How much money has Lindell set them back? Has the US cancelled their contract with Dominion..?

I don't see where Dominion has lost..? o_O

...Or are they just going after people who they know have money, and trying to take as much as they can?

Their name has been dragged through the mud, and other people might be less willing to use their machines. I 100% believe they had nothing to do with fraud, but even I might be leery about using them in the future on the count of, it might make future elections be seen as fraudulent and such.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟321,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Suing for slander and defamation (successfully) is pretty much impossible for everyone. The requirements in order to win the case are pretty high - you need:

1. A statement of fact. An opinion (Peggy Sue is a floozy) isn't a statement of fact. It's an opinion. However, if Jimmy Jones says that Peggy Sue slept with John Smith, then he's making a statement of fact.

2. A false allegation. Obviously, if it's true, it's not slander. If Peggy Sue did, in fact, sleep with John Smith then Jimmy Jones saying so isn't slander. All he has to do is show proof.

3. Negligence/actual malice (which has nothing to do with the standard definition of the term "malice") - in other words, Jimmy Jones has to know that what he said was false.

Also, a single instance of someone stating something verbally (i.e. at the dance in Friday night) probably would not rise to the level of defamation. However, if Jimmy took out ads in the local paper to announce to the world his lie that Peggy Sue has been sleeping around, then that would be defamation.

Basically, what makes it difficult for "regular people" to sue for defamation is that there's little opportunity (or reason) to truly defame a private figure. However, it can happen. In the current mess of post-election suits, an employee of Dominion (a private person, not especially wealthy) is suing several people because they have loudly, publicly, and repeatedly alleged that he helped rig the election for Biden based entirely on the word of one guy who claims that he heard someone who claimed to have the same first name and claimed to work for Dominion say that he was going to make sure Biden won. There's no recording of the conversation, no one can corroborate it, but it's been published as fact all over the right-wing blogosphere. He's got a pretty good case, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Suing for slander and defamation (successfully) is pretty much impossible for everyone. The requirements in order to win the case are pretty high - you need:

1. A statement of fact. An opinion (Peggy Sue is a floozy) isn't a statement of fact. It's an opinion. However, if Jimmy Jones says that Peggy Sue slept with John Smith, then he's making a statement of fact.

2. A false allegation. Obviously, if it's true, it's not slander. If Peggy Sue did, in fact, sleep with John Smith then Jimmy Jones saying so isn't slander. All he has to do is show proof.

3. Negligence/actual malice (which has nothing to do with the standard definition of the term "malice") - in other words, Jimmy Jones has to know that what he said was false.

Also, a single instance of someone stating something verbally (i.e. at the dance in Friday night) probably would not rise to the level of defamation. However, if Jimmy took out ads in the local paper to announce to the world his lie that Peggy Sue has been sleeping around, then that would be defamation.

Basically, what makes it difficult for "regular people" to sue for defamation is that there's little opportunity (or reason) to truly defame a private figure. However, it can happen. In the current mess of post-election suits, an employee of Dominion (a private person, not especially wealthy) is suing several people because they have loudly, publicly, and repeatedly alleged that he helped rig the election for Biden based entirely on the word of one guy who claims that he heard someone who claimed to have the same first name and claimed to work for Dominion say that he was going to make sure Biden won. There's no recording of the conversation, no one can corroborate it, but it's been published as fact all over the right-wing blogosphere. He's got a pretty good case, and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins.
Plaintiffs sued in the D.C. District Court, which as a robust anti-slapp law and might be seen as a shot-across the bow, with an eye of getting it thrown out because of this, but know “we can do it in a state that doesn’t offer that protection”, hint hint.

Upvote 0