Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What did Jesus mean when he said "few will be saved?" There are billions of Christians out there! Christianity is the largest religion in the world! So surely many will be saved? What are we missing? Discuss.

Ultimately, I believe many will be saved, but only a few have that head start. That is how things work, give plenty to the few... when time comes, the many find themselves wanting... so an economy is established.

As for this being a matter of debate, well, it ultimately is not, by my book. Revelation very clearly shows depictions of very many being saved.

I do not know how things will change going on, regardless.

Where it is now, however, the many walk the wide road of destruction, which is important to understand. And you have to go off the beaten trail to find the narrow road of salvation.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What did Jesus mean when he said "few will be saved?" There are billions of Christians out there! Christianity is the largest religion in the world! So surely many will be saved? What are we missing? Discuss.
Jesus always presented the Kingdom of God as a mixture of true saving faith and something else - which is not saving faith.

In one case He likened the Kingdom to a simple little mustard seed which grew into a monstrosity of a tree - so big that the birds of the air (a type of evil in the scriptures) perched in it's branches. Many of those birds will be cardinals if I'm not mistaken.

But - be that as it may - we are told to let the tree grow, let the birds perch and let the weeds grow until He comes again.

Many will say to Him on the day of judgment, "Lord, Lord". He will tell them that He "never" knew them. They will be speechless when that happens - never having had any insight into the fact that they did not have saving faith even though they had done many good works, and even miracles, in His name.

Narrow is the way which leads to life and few there are that find it.

To rest in the work of Christ on our behalf "only" for our hope of salvation is not the way which seems right to religious men. To have "assurance" of things hoped for (the definition of faith) based on Christ's work only is the way to salvation.

Read through the soteriology portion of this forum to see just how many do not understand that amazingly simple gospel.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Revelation very clearly shows depictions of very many being saved.
Since it is written in Revelation that the whole world is deceived,
and again
that the whole world refuses to repent of worshipping demons,
please quote what you are referring to . Thanks.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Many will say to Him on the day of judgment, "Lord, Lord". He will tell them that He "never" knew them. They will be speechless when that happens - never having had any insight into the fact that they did not have saving faith even though they had done many good works, and even miracles, in His name.

True

And today many will claim those you speak of as "speechless", are the ones that were never saves to begin with...something that has no basis at all. They listened to man,who told them to think that and things like it to justify their ways,. They thought they were saved but knew in their hearts they depended on the easy way, the teaching of man so they could have it both ways.

Oopsie. :(

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
When a person becomes born again (John 3:3 ), he/she become baptized as a symbol/dedication of their belief/faith in Jesus Christ as personal Lord and Savior. Baptism is a personal witness to others that you have become a child of God and will continue to worship and follow him.

That's Baptist tradition but if you browse these forums you'll see there are many Christians who believe differently. The earliest Christians believed baptism was how a person became a child of God.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think it means that of everybody who will ever live and die from the beginning of time until the apocalypse, only a minority will go to Heaven.

There are 7.8 billion people in the world. Of that, 2.2 billion people identify as Christian. So even if all 2.2 billion self-professed Christians were to go to Heaven and nobody else did, that still leaves the great majority of the world's population out of Heaven.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus always presented the Kingdom of God as a mixture of true saving faith and something else - which is not saving faith.

In one case He likened the Kingdom to a simple little mustard seed which grew into a monstrosity of a tree - so big that the birds of the air (a type of evil in the scriptures) perched in it's branches. Many of those birds will be cardinals if I'm not mistaken.

But - be that as it may - we are told to let the tree grow, let the birds perch and let the weeds grow until He comes again.

Narrow is the way which leads to life and few there are that find it.

To rest in the work of Christ on our behalf "only" for our hope of salvation is not the way which seems right to religious men. To have "assurance" of things hoped for (the definition of faith) based on Christ's work only is the way to salvation.

Read through the soteriology portion of this forum to see just how many do not understand that amazingly simple gospel.

True saving faith can be seen in Hebrews 11. It was always followed by righteous actions and not sinful ones. Nowhere do we see a gospel that makes for even allowance for a little bit of doing sin.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
True saving faith can be seen in Hebrews 11. It was always followed by righteous actions and not sinful ones.
Of course. That's crystal clear in the scriptures.
Nowhere do we see a gospel that makes for even allowance for a little bit of doing sin.
Utter nonsense.

"If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8

"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous"
1 John 2:1

Do you see it?

That's really good news we see right there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course. That's crystal clear in the scriptures.

Utter nonsense.

"If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." 1 John 1:8

"My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous"
1 John 2:1

Do you see it?

That's really good news we see right there.

Does not 1 John 1:8 say that if we have no sin we deceive ourselves?

Answer: Well, what is helpful in understanding 1 John 1:8 is looking at it's immediate context. 1 John 1:10 says if we say we have not sinned. 1 John 1:10 moves verse 8 (which is present tense) into a past declaration (with verse 10). Verse 10 is saying there are people who said they have not sinned (past tense). This is clearly a gnostic belief. Most believers today hold to the idea that they have sinned at some point in their life (Regardless of whether they are an OSAS believer or a Conditional Salvationist). 1 John 1:8 is a present declaration of sin. It is saying if we say we have no sin when we do sin (present tense). This has to be the interpretative understanding of this verse because 1 John 2:4 says if we say we know Him and do not keep His commandments we are a liar and the truth is not in us. The OSAS's interpretation on 1 John 1:8 does not work because it conflicts with a normal reading on 1 John 2:3-4. You cannot always be in sin (breaking God's commands) as a part of 1 John 1:8 and yet also fulfill 1 John 2:3 that says we can have an assurance of knowing Him if we keep His commandments. Especially when 1 John 2:4 says we are a liar and the truth is not in us if we break his commandments. In other words, if the OSAS interpretation on 1 John 1:8 was true, then I would be damned if I do by obeying God's commands (1 John 1:8) and yet I would be damned if I don't by not obeying God's commands (1 John 2:4).

In fact, the New English Translation says this for 1 John 1:8,

"If we say we do not bear the guilt of sin,
we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1:8 NET).

In other words, this verse is saying that if a person sins and says they do not bear the guilt of sin (in the sense that they will not have to face any wrath or Judgment from God over their sin) then they would be deceiving themselves and the truth would not be in them. This is exactly what the Eternal Security proposes. They are saying that they do not bear the guilt of any sin (destruction of their soul and body in hell fire) if they do sin because they believe their sins are paid for: Past, present, and future by Jesus. They are saying, they do not bear the guilt or the punishment of sin at the final Judgment because of their belief on Jesus. In short, 1 John 1:8 is a denial of the existence of sin on some level. “If we say we have no sin (in the sense that it does not exist) we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.” (1 John 1:8). Christian Scientists think sin is an illusion and does not exist at all. So this verse would apply to them. Eternal Security Proponents and those who deny that “Sin Can Separate a Believer from God” deny the existence of sin partially. They believe sin exists physically but they do not believe sin exists for them on a spiritual level because Jesus paid for it all by their belief on Jesus. In fact, to see just how silly your argument actually is for 1 John 1:8, you would have to believe that you are sinning right now at this very moment in order for such a verse to be true because 1 John 1:8 is speaking in the present tense.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"I will say to them, 'I never knew you" Oopsie. :(

Because they sinned. Jesus said, depart from me, ye that work iniquity (Matthew 7:23). Iniquity is sin. Whenever a believer sins, all their previous righteousness will not be remembered by God.

"But when a righteous man turns away from his righteousness, commits iniquity and does according to all the abominations that a wicked man does, will he live? All his righteous deeds which he has done will not be remembered for his treachery which he has committed and his sin which he has committed; for them he will die." (Ezekiel 18:24) (NASB).

That is why Jesus said, I never knew you.

However, make no mistake about it, God associates with those who do righteousness.

"In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother." (1 John 3:10).

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Whenever you sinned, all your previous righteousness will not be remembered by God.
....This is exactly what the Eternal Security proposes. They are saying that they do not bear the guilt of any sin (destruction of their soul and body in hell fire) if they do sin because they believe their sins are paid for: Past, present, and future by Jesus. They are saying, they do not bear the guilt or the punishment of sin at the final Judgment because of their belief on Jesus.
I've put my money on a gospel which makes provision for our defeating sin by giving us the sealing Holy Spirit to convict us of sin and lead us into a life of righteous living - while making provision for when we fail.

You folks can put your money on a gospel which makes no provision for sins and removes the Holy Spirit with whom we were sealed if we do sin.

We'll see which of us is reckoned to have had in their life the assurance of the hope of salvation when we meet Him face to face.

And don't bother to say that anyone here is condoning sin in any way or saying that there are not consequences for when we do sin.
.....Because they sinned. Jesus said, depart from me, ye that work iniquity (Matthew 7:23). Iniquity is sin.
The iniquity which will keep them from ever being known by Christ is the sin of preaching and believing another gospel - which is in reality no gospel at all.

Good luck in your quest for salvation.

As for me - "I know whom I have believed and I am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have entrusted to Him against that day."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus never said that "Lord, are there few " it was asked to Him. Many will try to get in. Brakes my heart to tell one about Jesus and they KNOW they can still get in. As Jesus stood looking at them He said If I had not come and spoken they would have no sin. If you were blind you would have no sin.. you say you see your sin remains.

There is something so great going on here that we cant see. Jesus died rose PRAISE GOD! Walked 40 more days. Yet.. was He out in the streets during that 40 days? No. But.. after Jesus rose are they not ALL going to be lost now that don't hear don't believe? Now that Jesus is risen? Not just in all of Israel but the WORLD?

I can not find anywhere in the word that says many will be lost. And lets try to remember the one that made them all. Got to be a pain I cant even grasp to here about someday my kids my creation will never ever ever be with me again. We say things.. we dont believe them though. If I really thought most would be lost.. I would never be here or in my home.. I would leave it all.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since it is written in Revelation that the whole world is deceived,
and again
that the whole world refuses to repent of worshipping demons,
please quote what you are referring to . Thanks.

The book is not that long, but there is at least one scene where there is an enormous crowd, isn't there? Also, is there not at the very beginning Jesus shown as speaking through multitudes as He spoke through the angel? Through many people from many nations?

My first question is rhetorical. Of course, there is a depiction of enormous crowd praising God in the Book of Revelation.

Further the Book ends showing the City ruling over the earth, where 'the kings of the nations bring their glory therein'. If the kings of the nations do this, what does that say?

And, finally, there is one of my favorite verses, "the knowledge of the Lord will cover the earth as the waters cover the seas".

It should be noted that God has said in the very long book of Jeremiah that if he ever plans a curse against a people or person, that if they relent, God will change his mind about punishing them. In this way, God will change his mind. Does this contradict God, who never changes his mind? No. Because God knew it was going to come to that in the first place.

As a good "for instance" on this principle, you see it with the godless, pagan city of Nineveh that was harassing Israel. Jonah preached through that city that it would be destroyed in forty days. And that was it.

But, God enlightened their hearts, so they repented.

Which made Jonah very angry.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you stated, and continue to follow with, what is not in harmony nor the same meaning as clearly shown in the Bible.
No worries.
Understood.

No, you do misunderstand me. This is easy to do on this.

Because people always say this or that, but I am not. This is different.

So, it is easy to misunderstand in that way.

What I am stating is both views are true.

We are going into this, Judgement Day, with only a few saved compared to the great masses. This is what people will perceive, as Jesus relates.

For instance, Jesus relates this in the parable of the ten virgins, and in the parable of the sheep and the goats.

Not so unlike how Jonah took the message God gave him to take "in forty days, this city will fall", and though no caveats were given, they repented and were saved.

You do not go to the bargaining table with everything out and the lowest price already set.

Why is it this way? Otherwise, besides this is what is required for bargaining? It is also this way because the problem is people judge others by brutal standards, which standards will come back on them.

At which time they will be discovered for their own selves as hypocrites.

And so their guilt sure.

Because it is by their own standard.

In this way, they learn to change their standards.

To judge with mercy, and to forgive.

But, if you think I am stating this like Satan stated "you will not die", I am most surely not. The fact is, I am fully aware that I can tell people night and day everything will be fine, and they will not be able to believe this... until they learn to trust the Lord.

So, I am not opposed to your message. This is the message, going into judgment day.

I am just pointing out that people will repent.

And God wants even godless Nineveh saved? God wants the whole earth saved.

Upvote 0

Thomascat

Nov 25, 2016
Buffalo, New York
✟8,356.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Not everyone who says "Lord, Lord" will enter Heaven. Not all people who claim to be Christians are really true. There is the visible Church (all people who attend Church) and the invisible Church (the true believers whom only God knows who they are). Surely you know some of visible church members: they cause disruption and divisiveness in the Church instead of the true seeking of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I am just pointing out that people will repent.
A few will. Why do you think different from what is plainly stated in Scripture.
Or
to put it more simply, who told you that people will repent, when the Bible says that most will refuse to repent.
Even Jesus Confirms that most never find the road to life.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Matthew 7:21 [Full Chapter]
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 7:21-23King James Version (KJV)
21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Many Christians fall into the above statements of Jesus

1- they teach or believe false doctrine (this is most of Christians today)
2- Jesus said if you love me Keep my Commandments (not the commandments of men)

Rev 22
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0