Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
I wonder if the guy who wrote the article is objective enough to understand, his personal experiences and perceptions of blacks, don't apply to all blacks, the same way his personal experience with whites, would not apply to all whites?
The article is about what he does for a living and the people he meets as a result of his work. he is describing how those people act and if you can't handle the truth about what happens, then everyone who agrees with this guy has to be a racist.

The one thing that caught my eye was just how many of his clients are fartherless and often estranged from both of his parents. It is a cycle that we need to put to a rest. Those that have been saying racist have not put up any ways to solve this problem and thus are allowing the situation to continue and give no hope to those in this situation. To me that is racist since it locks them in a pattern with no way out.

Reactions: KarateCowboy
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The article is about what he does for a living and the people he meets as a result of his work. he is describing how those people act and if you can't handle the truth about what happens, then everyone who agrees with this guy has to be a racist.

I basically said the same thing. He writes about his personal experiences and how he perceives different people. He may be, completely accurate in how he assesses the people he comes in contact with. What I was saying, is I wonder if he feels all other people of the same race (he has not met) must be the same way, because he seemed to broad brush a bit.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

The one thing that caught my eye was just how many of his clients are fartherless and often estranged from both of his parents. It is a cycle that we need to put to a rest. Those that have been saying racist have not put up any ways to solve this problem and thus are allowing the situation to continue and give no hope to those in this situation. To me that is racist since it locks them in a pattern with no way out.

This! Well said. The bloviating; it's almost like trolling, where they want you to say "no no" and they feed off it and you just get more. It's like, sanctimony trolling, or holier-than-thou trolling, or something. I sometimes think the solution is to just ignore it.

The fatherlessness and parenting thing seems to the key. On a personal level, I think "Well, what about going in and doing an after school program". I do Brazilian jujitsu, but I'm not at instructor level yet. If I were, something super structured like that. Or a big brother program. Honestly, though, I'm a little afraid about getting caught up in it. I brought it up to a family member, and she said "Mind your own problems. Getting involved in other people's family issues will just get you burned."

ED: BTW, look: someone added a snarky tag! Well, that sure shows us!

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can see that, but does it negate how that is EXACTLY what he spend his many hours doing?

No. I think the point he is making is distorted by that very fact, those he routinely deals with. The same effect occurs with both cops on the street and soldiers deployed in combat. If the only Muslims you ever come in contact with are those trying to kill you, it tends to distort how you view Muslims. I have said elsewhere on these forums my view of Radical Islam passes through that prism, which is why I always try to make the distinction my comments are specific to Radical Islam and not Islam at large. Cops can suffer from the same concern, that when everyone you routinely deal with treats you with disdain and contempt you lose sight of those who don't. My statement about this lawyer and what he wrote was meant to give him the same benefit of the doubt, that rather than being an evil racist he may have lost sight of the bigger picture.

Black people are the same as anyone else in this regard. If they don't break the law, if they don't routinely come into contact with law enforcement, they are not on law enforcement's radar. That same maxim applies to whites or Hispanics or anyone.

It may be distorting, and may tend toward having a prejudicial attitude, but is that the same as racism?

Again I see your point and my response is not automatically. A few of his comments could be viewed as racist, but when you consider the terms racist and racism have been so overused and disproportionately applied they have little meaning anymore, I don't think it out of line to actually discuss the issue as opposed applying a label.

It does not allow you "to feel as the other fellow does" as he is in the trenches, so to speak.

He is in the trenches.

The useful thing about threads like this is we can see who applauds White Supremacists.

In for a penny in for a pound, CaDan. You should name names.

He sure seemed to be broad brushing to me, which is intellectually, quite lazy and indeed, racist.

You have a point he appears to be broad brushing. The question remains is he broad brushing those he deals with or the entire black race?

Upvote 0

SpyderByte

Sep 3, 2012
✟16,375.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
No. I think the point he is making is distorted by that very fact, those he routinely deals with. The same effect occurs with both cops on the street and soldiers deployed in combat. If the only Muslims you ever come in contact with are those trying to kill you, it tends to distort how you view Muslims. I have said elsewhere on these forums my view of Radical Islam passes through that prism, which is why I always try to make the distinction my comments are specific to Radical Islam and not Islam at large. Cops can suffer from the same concern, that when everyone you routinely deal with treats you with disdain and contempt you lose sight of those who don't. My statement about this lawyer and what he wrote was meant to give him the same benefit of the doubt, that rather than being an evil racist he may have lost sight of the bigger picture.

Black people are the same as anyone else in this regard. If they don't break the law, if they don't routinely come into contact with law enforcement, they are not on law enforcement's radar. That same maxim applies to whites or Hispanics or anyone.

Again I see your point and my response is not automatically. A few of his comments could be viewed as racist, but when you consider the terms racist and racism have been so overused and disproportionately applied they have little meaning anymore, I don't think it out of line to actually discuss the issue as opposed applying a label.

He is in the trenches.

In for a penny in for a pound, CaDan. You should name names.

You have a point he appears to be broad brushing. The question remains is he broad brushing those he deals with or the entire black race?

I 100% agree with everything you stated here. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Sistrin
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is closed for staff review

Edit: this thread is staying closed. There is flaming, including flaming of a group in this thread. It generated reports.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.