✟15,634.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sophia7 said:
I would like to clarify the fact that I never told anyone else...

Actually Sophia please take some time to re-read my comments.

No clarification is needed on your part for one, because I acknowledged your points and two, because none of my comments are about you or any of the folks you mentioned in your response.

Pointing out that I, along with a few others, do not agree with the idea that fellowship with others, whether on Sunday or any other day, is not breaking Gods Sabbath, is not and never was about you or anyone you mentioned. You gave some personal examples of your experiences and how those experiences shaped your life and also I gave some examples of my experiences. In essence, no matter how many times one suggests it, this thread is not about any of you or anyone else.

The OP that I started has always been about fellowship with other believers. As a matter of fact I did not bring up worshiping on Sunday in my original post #1 on page #1 or, in my follow-up in post #4, nor was it implied by me in any way.

As I have stated, nearly each times I have posted, the original OP is and was about Fellowship with other believers outside of the Adventist church. Other members have been comparing Adventist church services with other denominations and seem to be focused on how they see others as compared to themselves, which has effectively drawn the focus away from fellowship with others to worship on a different day.

If we would simply make an effort to stay on the topic it is likely we will avoid quite a bit of misunderstanding.

Peace

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seraph1m said:
Actually Sophia please take some time to re-read my comments.

No clarification is needed on your part for one, because I acknowledged your points and two, because none of my comments are about you or any of the folks you mentioned in your response.

Pointing out that I, along with a few others, do not agree with the idea that fellowship with others, whether on Sunday or any other day, is not breaking Gods Sabbath, is not and never was about you or anyone you mentioned. You gave some personal examples of your experiences and how those experiences shaped your life and also I gave some examples of my experiences. In essence, no matter how many times one suggests it, this thread is not about any of you or anyone else.

The OP that I started has always been about fellowship with other believers. As a matter of fact I did not bring up worshiping on Sunday in my original post #1 on page #1 or, in my follow-up in post #4, nor was it implied by me in any way.

As I have stated, nearly each times I have posted, the original OP is and was about Fellowship with other believers outside of the Adventist church. Other members have been comparing Adventist church services with other denominations and seem to be focused on how they see others as compared to themselves, which has effectively drawn the focus away from fellowship with others to worship on a different day.

If we would simply make an effort to stay on the topic it is likely we will avoid quite a bit of misunderstanding.

Peace

Seraph1m,

I apologize if I misunderstood what you were saying. I just thought that since your comments were juxtaposed between quotes from my earlier post that you were addressing them to me, particularly those dealing with being condescending to other people by telling them that they are sinning. If you meant them in a general way, then I'm sorry for taking them personally.

Upvote 0

Seraph1m

Oct 12, 2005
In His Presence
✟15,634.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If? Anyway...

Again, the OP is not about you or anyone else you metioned. It can not be said any clearer then that.

Danke

Sophia7 said:
Seraph1m,

I apologize if I misunderstood what you were saying. I just thought that since your comments were juxtaposed between quotes from my earlier post that you were addressing them to me, particularly those dealing with being condescending to other people by telling them that they are sinning. If you meant them in a general way, then I'm sorry for taking them personally.

Upvote 0

2tim

Feb 17, 2005
Maine, USA
✟7,888.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
awesumtenor said:
The problem is that it is not anything that we do that makes us 'peculiar'.
In His service,
Mr. J

Yeah but there's this too...

Ex 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

I agree with you, but I think we are to glorify God and be in the world not of it.
Safety is never near the edge. ;)

2Tim

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seraph1m said:

Perhaps you have forgotten how you phrased the original post. Here it is:

Seraph1m said:
When was the last time you attended church with someone other than an Adventist friend?

Whether AME, Baptist, Catholic or another denomination, how often do you attend church with someone other than an Adventist?

Thus, you did introduce the subject of going to church with other Christians, not just having fellowship. I think the issues that have been discussed here, such as whether we should attend other churches at all and how we view ourselves as Adventists in relation to others are legitimate questions to consider as we think about our fellowship with other Christians. Surely, you did not expect simple yes or no answers to your original question, without any discussion or disagreement on related questions? That would be too much to expect, especially on the Adventist forum. ;)

Upvote 0

awesumtenor

Oct 12, 2005
✟8,351.00
Faith
SDA
2tim said:
Yeah but there's this too...

Ex 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:

I agree with you, but I think we are to glorify God and be in the world not of it.
Safety is never near the edge. ;)

2Tim

Obeying His voice and keeping His covenant is how one *remains* His peculiar treasure... but we were chosen to be said peculiar treasure "while we were yet sinners"... when we were rebellious and disobedient and wholly at enmity with God...

In His service,
Mr. J

Upvote 0

2tim

Feb 17, 2005
Maine, USA
✟7,888.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
awesumtenor said:
Obeying His voice and keeping His covenant is how one *remains* His peculiar treasure... but we were chosen to be said peculiar treasure "while we were yet sinners"... when we were rebellious and disobedient and wholly at enmity with God...

In His service,
Mr. J

I agree 100%. That said, stay away from the near beer.
I'm kidding.
I'm a kidder.

I think we're just getting into a personal decision area where each of us has to ask ourselves (with regards to Sabbath keeping and going or not going to a Sunday church on Sunday) how important is it that this (Sabbath keeping) be visible to our fellow man. Obviously it is for God's glory that we do so, and by the faith that He gives us. But it is also (in apparently varrying degrees) a visible sign to other men. For instance, Israel of old and soon Israel of today (God willing you and me) are to be a visibly different nation so that the hethen would look at them and wonder...

And ask.

All of that said, I agree with your statement.

2Tim ;)

Upvote 0

Seraph1m

Oct 12, 2005
In His Presence
✟15,634.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seraph1m said:

As I have stated, nearly each times I have posted, the original OP is and was about Fellowship with other believers outside of the Adventist church.

Peace
Not long ago I was asked to attend a women's retreat with one of my neighbors who had an extra ticket for the retreat. I was unable to do so primarily because we had specific plans set for that Sabbath.

Lyn is staying with her sister-in-law Di and her brother. Lyn had to work that weekend and they thought to ask me. I appreciate the fact that they thought enough of me to ask if I would be interested in attending their women's retreat. One of the things that one of our former pastors mentioned to us one evening is that relationships with people is so much important then drilling them with do's and don'ts.

I have taken some time off from work this year and the same neighbor mentioned that she would be comfortable with me keeping her 2yr old if I was interested. Thankfully they have a great sitter, because her little man is a handfull.
My experience has taught me, when we have established a relationship with people, show a genuine interest in their lives and spend time with them in recreational activities, as well as bible study, and finally make an effort to see to their needs, when there is a need, they can see that we have more in common with them then not.

As christians we should be willing to let people know that we are approachable, ready to listen and will help where and where we can, without seeking anything in return. This will allow them to get a glimpse of Jesus through His children. Showing love one for another, to believers in and out of the Adventist church, is one place to begin.

Be Blessed

Upvote 0

SassySDA

Aug 12, 2005
OH
✟1,169.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sophia7 said:
Perhaps you have forgotten how you phrased the original post. Here it is:
[/color]

Thus, you did introduce the subject of going to church with other Christians, not just having fellowship. I think the issues that have been discussed here, such as whether we should attend other churches at all and how we view ourselves as Adventists in relation to others are legitimate questions to consider as we think about our fellowship with other Christians. Surely, you did not expect simple yes or no answers to your original question, without any discussion or disagreement on related questions? That would be too much to expect, especially on the Adventist forum. ;)

I was just going to post this, Sophia. It is about going to church with others, and if you are going to go to church with people other than Adventists, except for a few other Sabbath keeping churches, for the most part it would be to a Sunday keeping church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,707.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When was the last time you attended church with someone other than an Adventist friend?

Whether AME, Baptist, Catholic or another denomination, how often do you attend church with someone other than an Adventist?

Thats a good question.....

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
That's excellent, Windmill. I have given more thought to the OP on this topic, and I came to realize that I will not return to a Sunday Keeping church, for any reason. I understand that I broke the 4th commandment for around 40 years, I don't intend to break it again.

I do my best witnessing in small circles outside of a church building (even my own) anyway.

Even if I go with a friend on Sunday, AFTER having "kept Sabbath", what I could be doing is giving credence to their worshipping on the wrong day, and not keeping God's Sabbath, breaking the 4th commandment. I decided I won't do that.

I completely agree that we should witness, discuss, and even learn about each other, but we can do that without giving credence to the breaking of one of God's commandments. I want nothing I do, even unconsciously, to support error.

God bless

:doh: Someone please tell me I didn't actually just read what I read here.

Upvote 0

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Anyhow, I visit Evangelical Free and Pentacostal churches all the time. I love the contemporay praise and worship services. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I do not feel contaminated by worshipping on Sunday with other Christians. If others have that hang-up, fine. I don't, so I will reject any attempts to project that hang-up onto my person. Let each be convinced in thier own mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NightEternal

Evangelical SDA
Apr 18, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
✟6,539.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
To give a extreme example; as everyone here is well aware, I used to be Wiccan. Now, I would love to be a witness for Christ to them and invite them to my visit my church. But, on the other hand, how would folks perceive it if I attended a coven's esbat? Not a very pretty picture, eh? Do I need to do such to be a "good" witness to them - do I need to do such to "bridge the gap"? No.

So, using the admittedly extreme example, I see your point completely.

This is not an accurate parallel to make. These are fellow Christians we are talking about, not Pagans or Wiccans! You can't seriously compare a coven ceremony with a Christian worship service! :doh:

Upvote 0

Sophia7

Tall73's Wife
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2005
✟59,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is not an accurate parallel to make. These are fellow Christians we are talking about, not Pagans or Wiccans! You can't seriously compare a coven ceremony with a Christian worship service! :doh:

I see that reddogs has been bumping old threads again.

I agree, Night. There is no parallel between attending a Christian worship service (whether on Saturday or Sunday) and visiting a Wiccan coven.

Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,707.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I have many Non Adventist friends who attend church with me, do you count that.

Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have many Non Adventist friends who attend church with me, do you count that.

I think the underlying issue of what the OP was about is if Tradiional Adventists felt that it was proper to visit churches who "follow the beast", or whatever the SDA catch phrase is.

I visit SDA churches on occasion, and others,too. It is easier for me to visit Adventist churches than most other churches because I am expected to be at my church Sunday mornings and people ask where I was if I skip. ;)

Upvote 0