Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know its hard to limit them to just a dozen so I won't count if you list more then 12 ;) and our Lord is certainly happy that you don't limit yourself to just 12 also.

There aren't any in the NT that I do not read often and I usually try to start with Matthew and read thru Revelations, but my favorites would be Matthew as that seems to be the gospil book I can recall the most scripture from, but John would be on the same level. The book of Acts is also very precious as are all the episitles that follow, but of the epistles I think Romans is by far my favorite with Ephesians and Corinthians following. This may sound odd but I find that Revelation has contributed the least to my faith, partly because its meaning is so deep, but I love to read Jesus' words of warning and love.

In the OT I love reading the stories of our ancestors right on through Chronicles with the Genesis and Judges and Kings being my favorites.

Of all of the OTpeople Moses and King David inspire me the most. I know many hold King David to be a vile sinner, but he is someone who I can associate my struggles with. But the Prophets will be on my list first to visit when I am home, right after Jesus and the Apostles, but perhaps the one who holds the most awe and respect is The Holy Spirit. For it is He who gives us faith and does not cast us aside when we have done wrong. :bow:

Won't it be fun when we get to heaven and can meet everyone from the past and worship with them, and sing with all the Saints and Angels :clap:

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am looking forward to meeting all of the biblical people in Heaven. It is really difficult to choose 12 books out of 66 as my favorites. Each one of them is unique in its own way. I guess in the NT I like Matthew, John, Acts, Romans,and Titus. These are just books that I read more often. In the OT, I like Exodus, Joshua, Nehemiah, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, and Daniel. My list is by no means exhaustive since I read many other books in both the OT and NT regularly.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Colossians is a key letter to me for some reason that is unknown. John, Matthew, Romans, and Corinthians (both) round out the top NT books.

As for the OT, I'm very guilty of not spending much reading time there, though when I do it tends to be in the major prophets~Isaiah & Jeremiah...

Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I am looking forward to meeting all of the biblical people in Heaven. It is really difficult to choose 12 books out of 66 as my favorites. Each one of them is unique in its own way. I guess in the NT I like Matthew, John, Acts, Romans,and Titus. These are just books that I read more often. In the OT, I like Exodus, Joshua, Nehemiah, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, and Daniel. My list is by no means exhaustive since I read many other books in both the OT and NT regularly.

I'm reading Job now, started I think saturday and will finish tommorow. I almost passed it up to come back to it later as this stupid election has me kind of depressed, but everytime I read "The good book" I feel all better again :clap:

Colossians is a key letter to me for some reason that is unknown. John, Matthew, Romans, and Corinthians (both) round out the top NT books.

As for the OT, I'm very guilty of not spending much reading time there, though when I do it tends to be in the major prophets~Isaiah & Jeremiah...

I think if I were to have to get by with only a handful of books it would be Genesis, Isiah, the gospil of John, Acts, Romans and Ephesians. I credit St Paul with writing Romans and Ephesians as I think he saved my sanity some years ago when I waqs trying to figure it all out.
I love the book of Ruth...what a wonderful account of a faithful servant's heart...and the love of the Kinsman Redeemer.

This is the first book that came to mind for me.

Blessings!

I just read Ruth a few weeks ago and Esther last week. They are very inspiriing indeed. :thumbsup::clap::hug:

Off the top of my head...

John
Romans
Genesis
Luke
Psalms
Acts
Isaiah
1 John
1 Peter
Ephesians
Hebrews
...any and everything written by St. Paul ;)

I like your list Porter, looks almost like my list :clap: I can't wait to find out who wrote Hebrews :holy:

My favorite NT books would be
Ephesians
Romans
1 Corinthians
Matthew
Hebrews

And I'm guilty of not spending as much time in the OT, also, but I liked
Genesis
Exodus

And I like parts of a lot of other books. :D

The NT is of course much more important then the OT, but if I may offer some encouragement? :) This may sound like its a bit hard, but just try it, you'll like it. ;) Just get out a spare book marker and open up to Genesis and read one page after the other till you've been through it all. I'm sure you will grow to love it as much as I do.

If we only we read from the NT its hard to understand all what God put up with and how He blessed our ancestors. Its truley the "Greatest true story" ever told :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

porterross

I miss Ronald Reagan
Jan 27, 2006
just this side of Heaven
✟44,831.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I like your list Porter, looks almost like my list :clap: I can't wait to find out who wrote Hebrews :holy:

Same author as all the other books; our glorious, wonderous and gracious Heavenly Father. ;) :bow:

Upvote 0

sealacamp

Jun 26, 2008
Fairburn Georgia
✟2,331.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know its hard to limit them to just a dozen so I won't count if you list more then 12 ;) and our Lord is certainly happy that you don't limit yourself to just 12 also.

There aren't any in the NT that I do not read often and I usually try to start with Matthew and read thru Revelations, but my favorites would be Matthew as that seems to be the gospil book I can recall the most scripture from, but John would be on the same level. The book of Acts is also very precious as are all the episitles that follow, but of the epistles I think Romans is by far my favorite with Ephesians and Corinthians following. This may sound odd but I find that Revelation has contributed the least to my faith, partly because its meaning is so deep, but I love to read Jesus' words of warning and love.

In the OT I love reading the stories of our ancestors right on through Chronicles with the Genesis and Judges and Kings being my favorites.

Of all of the OTpeople Moses and King David inspire me the most. I know many hold King David to be a vile sinner, but he is someone who I can associate my struggles with. But the Prophets will be on my list first to visit when I am home, right after Jesus and the Apostles, but perhaps the one who holds the most awe and respect is The Holy Spirit. For it is He who gives us faith and does not cast us aside when we have done wrong. :bow:

Won't it be fun when we get to heaven and can meet everyone from the past and worship with them, and sing with all the Saints and Angels :clap:

• There is coming a day when no heartaches shall come
        No more clouds in the sky, no more tears to dim the eye.
        All is peace forevermore on that happy golden shore,
        What a day, glorious day that will be.

• What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see,
          And I look upon His face,
          The One who saved me by His grace;
          When He takes me by the hand
          And leads me through the Promised Land,

There'll be no sorrow there, no more burdens to bear,
        No more sickness, no pain, no more parting over there;
        And forever I will be with the One who died for me,

• What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see,
          And I look upon His face,
          The One who saved me by His grace;
          When He takes me by the hand
          And leads me through the Promised Land,
          What a day, glorious day that will be!

I can't say I have a favorite book because I read them all from one end to the other. I can say that there are two that I skip parts of because genealogy over and over again gets tiresome. Those books are numbers and 1st Chronicles. Books that I really get strength and sustenance from are Isiah, Proverbs, Psalms, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and the other books of the NT.

A pastor I knew years ago had a read the bible through in a year challenge. I was part of that group and read the entire book in one year. I have been reading it ever since. When I get to the end I just go back to the beginning and start over. No matter how many times I read it I get something new out of Gods word or am reminded of something that I had forgotten about God or Jesus. It is a must have for any Christian. That is how I know people that say they are Christian but follow that with they don't believe the bible, read it, or think it is applicable today, aren't Christians at all. At the least they are deceived at worst they are deceivers. That is between them and God to sort out. But the more I live the more I see that Davids words are very wise and very true:"Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee." It also helps to sort out the truth from lies.

Sealacamp

Reactions: Jim47
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
I love the bible and while I read all of New Testament, I don't think I ever read all through the Old Testament. Oh well, now I know I have some studying to do...but off the top of my head I love

Genesis
Exodus
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
Nehemiah
Esther
Job
Psalms
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Isaiah
Jeremiah
Daniel
All of the NT

Okay, I need a top "66".

:)

Upvote 0

JustAsIam77

Veritas Liberabit Vos
Dec 26, 2006
South Florida
✟30,898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

I can't wait! I agree with everything you said. My feelings also. I love all of the NT because it gives us such hope and security in our salvation.

Revelations is a a mystery but very intriguing. I concur that the Holy Spirit is underappreciated in His power and influence in our everyday lives.

Romans... good Lord what an enlightening and uplifting gospel!
John
Ephesians
1 John
Revelation
1 Corinthians
Genesis
Job
Proverbs
Colossians
Hebrews
Romans...oops, did I list it twice? :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim47

Heaven Bound
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2004
Michigan
✟46,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I love the bible and while I read all of New Testament, I don't think I ever read all through the Old Testament. Oh well, now I know I have some studying to do...but off the top of my head I love

Genesis
Exodus
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
Nehemiah
Esther
Job
Psalms
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Isaiah
Jeremiah
Daniel
All of the NT

Okay, I need a top "66".

:)

66 is good :thumbsup: I know how hard it is to limit to 12 :)

I can't wait! I agree with everything you said. My feelings also. I love all of the NT because it gives us such hope and security in our salvation.

Revelations is a a mystery but very intriguing. I concur that the Holy Spirit is underappreciated in His power and influence in our everyday lives.

Romans... good Lord what an enlightening and uplifting gospel!
John
Ephesians
1 John
Revelation
1 Corinthians
Genesis
Job
Proverbs
Colossians
Ephesians
Romans...oops, did I list it twice? :)

I feel the same way about Romans. I think I've read it more then any other book, and quote it more often too :thumbsup:

Upvote 0