New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TCM is having her as the Star of the month; just watched a couple old movies with her in them that I had never seen before. Didn't use to like her much but now I think she was one of the great early Stars; really liked "petrified forest" with Leslie Howard and Humphrey Bogart from 1936.

I don't think I've seen that one. Leslie Howard and Humphrey Bogart are great actors, aren't they?

I was never too fond of Joan Crawford when I was a kid, but have seen two or three of her other movies and changed my mind about her. As a child watching Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, I was swayed by the plot into disliking the actress, specially since my all-time favourite was playing opposite Joan. :blush: :sorry: But I have enjoyed her acting in other movies, particularly when she was very young.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I've seen that one. Leslie Howard and Humphrey Bogart are great actors, aren't they?

I was never too fond of Joan Crawford when I was a kid, but have seen two or three of her other movies and changed my mind about her. As a child watching Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, I was swayed by the plot into disliking the actress, specially since my all-time favourite was playing opposite Joan. :blush: :sorry: But I have enjoyed her acting in other movies, particularly when she was very young.

I'm just the opposite on Crawford; when I saw that movie "...Baby Jane" when I first watched that movie years ago; I disliked Betty Davis; because the movie made her the villain; but now I have heard about the feud those two went thru for years and found out it was mostly Crawford's fault; and now I can see in that movie that Davis was actually the victim; altho she went crazy.

Now; especially after "Mommy Dearest" I can't hardly stand to watch Crawford.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just the opposite on Crawford; when I saw that movie "...Baby Jane" when I first watched that movie years ago; I disliked Betty Davis; because the movie made her the villain; but now I have heard about the feud those two went thru for years and found out it was mostly Crawford's fault; and now I can see in that movie that Davis was actually the victim; altho she went crazy.

Now; especially after "Mommy Dearest" I can't hardly stand to watch Crawford.

When I was a young child I thought Joan was the villain, simply cos she was starring opposite my 'favourite actress'. :D Then, years later, I watched it again and finally got the gist of it all. The most poignant line in it for me is when Bette says to Joan, after Joan's confession, 'We could have been friends all these years' or something like that.

I have never read Mommy Dearest. I've heard about it, though. Do you think it's true, then, mnorian?

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As it was written by her daughter; yes I do.

I believe Bette's daughter also wrote stuff about her mother. I just googled it and it says she wrote a book called 'My Mother's Keeper.'

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe Bette's daughter also wrote stuff about her mother. I just googled it and it says she wrote a book called 'My Mother's Keeper.'

Not to get into an argument about this; but most of those who knew Davis went with the opinion: "Many of her peers came forward to defend her, stating that far from being emotionally abused, B. D. Hyman had been spoiled by Davis. They disputed Hyman's version of events as being exaggerated and taken out of context." as opposed to Crawford; who most who knew her said her daughter had it right. :)

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not to get into an argument about this; but most of those who knew Davis went with the opinion: "Many of her peers came forward to defend her, stating that far from being emotionally abused, B. D. Hyman had been spoiled by Davis. They disputed Hyman's version of events as being exaggerated and taken out of context." as opposed to Crawford; who most who knew her said her daughter had it right. :)

I've never read the book about Bette, either, but I'm glad it was disputed cos frankly, I don't want to believe anything awful about Bette. She is my absolute favourite actress and has been since I was a young child. :) But Joan, eh? No good.

Upvote 0

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Last night I rented and watched a movie from 1947 called Undercurrent, which starred Katharine Hepburn, Robert Taylor, and a very young, Robert Mitchum. Full of suspense and well acted. Not sure how even on TV over the years I missed this one. I was ten years old when it came out but never saw it in a theater. Of course, back then, I preferred the "cowboy" movies of Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, and Johnny Mack Brown. Last's night's movie is somewhat predictable but not entirely. There is a wonderful twist towards the end. Mitchum, obviously, lacked experience and the lack of that did break up the drama a bit too much. His role is minor but around which the plot revolves. However, Taylor is really good as the disturbed husband and, of course, Hepburn was always good. Available on Amazon to rent.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Me being a Texican, this was one of my all time favorites. I saw it when it first came out in the theaters.
Great soundtrack! This is my favorite scene, the final assault.......
[I didn't much care for the current remake]

15946987308_d44314b1f1_o.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
McKenna's Gold was my most favourite western back in the day when I was a kid. I loved the movie and also Omar Sharif. Here is the theme song sung by Jose Feliciano who was a big fave of mine back then too. :)

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm just going to list a few that seem to have been left out.

To Sir With Love
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Sidney Poitier stared in both and they (and one other pretty decent film) all came out in 1967.

Zulu

A film with a bit of controversy. None of the black stars could attend the premier. It was in a whites only theater. One character, Hook, was shown as a classic American figure, the bad boy who comes gold under pressure. His family was outraged because he was in fact a soldier with a spotless record. The film has several great scenes.

First the one that will upset some Christians. The missionary to the Zulus gets drunk and predicts the death of everyone. By the end most are alive and over a dozen will have the Victoria Cross, the highest British military honor.

My favorite is a scene that ends with one officer asking another how it was his first time (in combat) only to get told something like 'Do you think I could stand the butchers yard more than once'.

And near the end when some chanting by the Zulus is taken as mocking and marking the doom of the Brits the Bohr there corrects the error saying 'You couldn't be more wrong, they are saluting you, they are saluting fellow braves'.

Reactions: joyshirley
Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you have cable Starz movie channel; Sleepless in Seattle; is coming on now.

Thanks, mnorian. :) I don't have that channel as I live in New Zealand. We have the TCM channel via Sky Tv and they show classic movies there 24/7, albeit with many repeats as the months progress. It will show up some time, I expect. :)

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just going to list a few that seem to have been left out.

To Sir With Love
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Sidney Poitier stared in both and they (and one other pretty decent film) all came out in 1967.

Those movies were good - I enjoyed them. :) I also saw A Patch of Blue (1965) starring Sidney Poitier fairly recently on tv and I thought that was very good too.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, mnorian. :) I don't have that channel as I live in New Zealand. We have the TCM channel via Sky Tv and they show classic movies there 24/7, albeit with many repeats as the months progress. It will show up some time, I expect. :)

TCM is my favorite cable channel; but they do show the movies over-and-over; mostly the older classics.
But they do show movies that are premieres to any TV showings; older movies that are made by some of the same directors & producers that made the classics; just not as popular; these can be "gems in the rough" every once in a while; and turn out to be great movies.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TCM is my favorite cable channel; but they do show the movies over-and-over; mostly the older classics.
But they do show movies that are premieres to any TV showings; older movies that are made by some of the same directors & producers that made the classics; just not as popular; these can be "gems in the rough" every once in a while; and turn out to be great movies.

I have also enjoyed watching a few movies where the original one has been shown and then a later version. Goodbye Mr Chips comes to mind, for example. They just had the Peter O'Toole version on a few days ago. It's pretty good but I prefer the one starring Robert Donat.

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have also enjoyed watching a few movies where the original one has been shown and then a later version. Goodbye Mr Chips comes to mind, for example. They just had the Peter O'Toole version on a few days ago. It's pretty good but I prefer the one starring Robert Donat.

Yes; I have seen some of those movies; there are a few where the less popular re-make or pre-make has turned out to be better then the original highly popular one.

One (or two) that comes to mind is the remake of "Mr. Blandings builds his dream house" (1948) one of my all-time favorite comedies of the 40's with Cary Grant & Myrna Loy; about a married couple re-building a dilapidated farm house; that of course turns into a money pit.

Then in 1986 it was re-made as; funnily enough "The money Pit" with Tom Hanks & Shelley Long; an even more hilarious take on throwing good money at a bad house.
But it may be that I had seen the first movie so many times; by the time the second one came out; that it seems funnier because of it's freshness. Altho Hanks & Long are two of my "newer" favorite comedic actors.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes; I have seen some of those movies; there are a few where the less popular re-make or pre-make has turned out to be better then the original highly popular one.

One (or two) that comes to mind is the remake of "Mr. Blandings builds his dream house" (1948) one of my all-time favorite comedies of the 40's with Cary Grant & Myrna Loy; about a married couple re-building a dilapidated farm house; that of course turns into a money pit.

Then in 1986 it was re-made as; funnily enough "The money Pit" with Tom Hanks & Shelley Long; an even more hilarious take on throwing good money at a bad house.
But it may be that I had seen the first movie so many times; by the time the second one came out; that it seems funnier because of it's freshness. Altho Hanks & Long are two of my "newer" favorite comedic actors.

I haven't seen either of those ones, mnorian. More movies to watch out for. :)

Upvote 0