Favorite Church Architecture

D

David64

Interior, outerior, or both.

basilica.jpg
When Christ returns all of these "high places" will be crushed to dust.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
When Christ returns all of these "high places" will be crushed to dust.

Doesn't mean we can't appreciate good architecture when we see it now though :)

When Christ returns, we will be able to bless him face to face, our Churches and Altars will be redundant; praise God!!

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I am sorry that the Gothic battlements were removed, but can understand the problems incurred with the flat roofs behind the battlements. Perhaps the current roofs could be replaced with steeples. I am particularly fond of German helm steeples like this -

Helm Roof

Helm roof - A pyramidal roof set diagonally on a tower, so that it meets the walls by means of gables.

Helm Roof

I'm not as sorry about the new roofs; something had to be done, what I miss the most are the Gothic arches in the openings to the bell room below the battlements.

Here is a good example of the "Helm Roof" on Trinity Lutheran Church in Sebastapol ON. 6 miles from where I live (Tavistock); they are ELCIC, and unfortunately their theology and interior reflect their pietist origins and their reformed protestant theology. They do have an altar, but the pulpit is dead center above and behind it:

17918605.jpg

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I also love the Gambrel roof steeples on both German Catholic and Luthern Churches, here are a couple of examples:

38124_Medium.Jpg

St. John's Hessen Strasse; also ELCIC 10 miles from home for me.

img_8387.jpg

St. Mary's RCC Linwood, 12 miles from home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ration

Certified Brony
Sep 26, 2011
Adelaide
✟15,335.00
Faith
Deist
Kind of creepy, grotesque and maybe eve demon inspired.

More gothic. It was originally designed by Antonio Gaudi, and has been in construction since 1882, with completion set for 2026. It's the La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona and was actually consecrated by the Pope late last year.

800px-Sagrada_Familia_01.jpg

This pic was taken back in 09.

The entire architecture is a devotion to christianity actually. On completion there will be 18 spires, representing the 12 apostle, the four evangelists, Mary, and Jesus (the tallest).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ivebeenshown

Expert invisible poster and thread killer
Apr 27, 2010
✟17,740.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
WOW! Thank you for posting that, Ration. I had never seen it. It is beautiful.

John 12
3Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

WOW! Thank you for posting that, Ration. I had never seen it. It is beautiful.

John 12
3Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment.

You might also want to view posts #630 and #129 on this thread for more about this church building.

Upvote 0

cowboysfan1970

Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2008
✟16,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If that date holds I will be about 60 when La Sagrada Familia is finished.

Here's a short video of the interior of Cologne Cathedral in Germany. My grandfather was with the 386th Headquarders Company and they were in Cologne in 1945. Just about the entire city was in ruins but the cathedral was still standing and largely undamaged.

Inside Cologne Cathedral - YouTube

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

If that date holds I will be about 60 when La Sagrada Familia is finished.

Here's a short video of the interior of Cologne Cathedral in Germany. My grandfather was with the 386th Headquarders Company and they were in Cologne in 1945. Just about the entire city was in ruins but the cathedral was still standing and largely undamaged.

Inside Cologne Cathedral - YouTube

In the series of videos on your post there is one with interesting black-and-white footage showing the extensive restoration of the cathedral after the war. The cathedral is one of the Johnny-come-latelys on the cathedral scene. Although construction began in the late Middle Ages it was not completed until 1880, which helps explain the stylistic consistency that it has as opposed to the typical incongruities of many French cathedrals.

Here is the Wikipedia article about it - Cologne Cathedral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
B

bbbbbbb

Here is the fine Wikipedia article about the church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. It is quite ancient and is a fine example of a basilica-style church building, although with many later alterations and additions. It is also the burial place of the famous Baroque architect, Bernini.

Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a fine photo from the Wiki article showing the basilica layout of the interior - a columned screen supporting a high clerestory with windows and a semi-circular apse at the end.

Lazio_Roma_SMariaMaggiore2_tango7174.jpg

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,728.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Here is the fine Wikipedia article about the church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. It is quite ancient and is a fine example of a basilica-style church building, although with many later alterations and additions. It is also the burial place of the famous Baroque architect, Bernini.

Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a fine photo from the Wiki article showing the basilica layout of the interior - a columned screen supporting a high clerestory with windows and a semi-circular apse at the end.

Lazio_Roma_SMariaMaggiore2_tango7174.jpg

The Art on every wall, in every panel; even in this photo looks amazing.

Thanks for posting this!

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
The Times
A £3 million scheme has been launched to restore a medieval monastic complex confiscated by Henry VIII at the Dissolution of the Monasteries and sold to one of his baliffs. Hexham Abbey in Northumberland was founded as a Benedictine house by Wilfrid, Bishop of York, in 674; the monastic buildings were replaced by an Augustinian priory in the 12th century. It was formally dissolved in February 1537 (the younger canons were summarily ejected, the older ones each given a gown and 40 shillings) and then granted to Sir Reynold Carnaby, baliff and general admistrator of Hexhamshire. The abbey became the parish church of Hexham.

priory_218932c.jpg

If you choose the Hexham Abbey, Centre
you can see the stairs Hexham Abbey, Northumberland, A Panoramic Virtual Tour.

Upvote 0