Favorite Church Architecture

B

bbbbbbb

The Times

priory_218932c.jpg

If you choose the Hexham Abbey, Centre
you can see the stairs Hexham Abbey, Northumberland, A Panoramic Virtual Tour.

That seems like rather a lot of money in these difficult times. Is there a particular reason for spending this on a ruin which seems to be kept in relatively stable condition? I find this disturbing in the light of the fact that Great Britain has innumerable redundant church buildings which could be conserved at a fraction of the cost. What do you think?

Upvote 0

Mr Dave

God Save The Queen!
Apr 2, 2010
Sheffield
✟25,710.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
That seems like rather a lot of money in these difficult times. Is there a particular reason for spending this on a ruin which seems to be kept in relatively stable condition? I find this disturbing in the light of the fact that Great Britain has innumerable redundant church buildings which could be conserved at a fraction of the cost. What do you think?

They say

The county council, however, is donating the freehold of the Priory Buildings to the Hexham Abbey Project, which aims to convert them into a heritage, education and visitor centre. The scheme includes the creation of rooms and meeting spaces for the general use of the local community, a café and lavatories. The heritage centre will display treasures including a gold-plated Saxon chalice found in the stone coffin of a priest in the north transept in 1860.

The Rev Canon Graham Usher, Rector of Hexham, said: “It is a once in a 500-year opportunity to reunite the abbey church with the former monastic buildings which were lost to us at the Reformation. We now have a chance to bring them into wider community use as a place of hospitality, learning and culture. In doing so we will be able to tell more of the story of this place of prayer and mission as well as its role in the development of Christianity in the North East of England.”

The majority of the funding is coming from the Heritage Lottery Fund (Money for heritage projects donated by the National Lottery). Any heritage site can apply for funding and they must be seen as a articular point of historical interest I guess.

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

They say

The majority of the funding is coming from the Heritage Lottery Fund (Money for heritage projects donated by the National Lottery). Any heritage site can apply for funding and they must be seen as a articular point of historical interest I guess.

We have a similar program here in the U.S. which channels a small amount of profits from gambling (or, as they prefer to call it, gaming) to heritage projects. It has been my experience that, as with most government grants, the selection procedure is highly politicized so that funding ends up with the best-connected recipients. How many other heritage projects in Great Britain are being funded this year at 3,000,000 pounds or more?

I still believe the money would be much better used to reinvigorate redundant churches.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In the spirit of Monty Python... "Now for something completely different..."

In Northwestern Quebec there is a town called Ville Marie. I used to sell agricultural products, and would travel to this area and call on customers with our French Canadian sales rep. who showed me around much of this area.

In 1909 the faithful Catholic community constructed a Grotto near the top of one of the mountains that form the eastern boundary of the town. While very humble, it is a very peaceful and Godly place, and the view looking westward over the town to Lake Temiskaming is amazing.

Sorry the photos are small, as they are copyrighted, and only the small ones were available for free... and I'm cheap;).

images

Looking South.

images

Looking west over the town and Lake Temiscamingue. The land on the other side of the lake is Ontario.

This area was settled in the late 15-early1600s, and was part of the French Colony of Lower Canada. Fort Temiscamingue was established to protect the fur trade rout from the British.

hpim1424.jpg

Site of Ft. within town limits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟817,020.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I agree! In a topsy-turvy world, I will post a link from another webpage of an Australian church building - Bethlehem Lutheran Church in Adelaide - About Us » Archives - Bethlehem Lutheran Church

Very beautiful! LCC is in full fellowship with the Ausi Lutherans.

BTW, I'm glad that they replaced the 'Pietist' Altar and Pulpit arrangement with a more traditional Ad Orientem Altar:).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.