Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am quite interested. Please keep us posted. I noticed in the linked article that the actual abbey has been taken apart piece by piece and is binge re-erected on a new site. A lot of ordinary construction materials have been lost and new materials have taken their place. For example, steel framing and concrete framing have been inserted to carry loads. One of the hotly-debated questions in my profession is when a building ceases to be a reassembly of original pieces to recreate the original structure and when it becomes a new structures using some old pieces with an end result that, although visibly identical to the original, is not the actual structure.

There is a Cistercian abbey near my home town which is called New Melleray (the original Melleray is in Ireland). Here is a link to their home page - New Melleray Abbey

It's been almost a year since I originally thought I was going (time gets away from ya when it comes to hobbies such as this), but today my wife and I went with my parents out to New Clairvaux to sample a new Rosé wine that they came out with last week, while out there I shot some photos—they're not the best but at least I was able to follow through. I may post these in OBOB just to share with my Catholic friends. :)

Just a recap - this project is called "The Sacred Stones" and in which they're taking the original stones from Santa Maria de Ovila in Spain (and which were held by the William Randolph Hearst foundation until the 90's or so) and reconstructing the original monastery to be used by the Trappists in Vina. It's quite amazing to brush your hands along stones that have been around since the early 13th century. I believe this monastery was constructed around the time that Europe launched the Fifth Crusade.

Outside the Chapter House:
IMG_1391.jpg

Window architecture
IMG_1396.jpg

Looking straight up at the arched ceilings, you can't tell they ascend upward from this angle...
IMG_1397.jpg

Interior archway
IMG_1406.jpg

Looking out to the walnut orchard
IMG_1410.jpg

Ceiling detail
IMG_1411.jpg

One of the columns, I love the intricacy of the masonry
IMG_1426.jpg

More detail around the archway
IMG_1425.jpg

Close up of the south window
IMG_1432.jpg

East facing window (one of three)
IMG_1394.jpg

For good measure...
IMG_1368.jpg

Cheers. :)

Upvote 0

ephesians4:2

Sep 13, 2010
✟1,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I dont know if anyones posted this church yet?
Church of the Light by Japanese architect Tadao Ando
A beautiful play of light and concrete creating a spiritually inspiring space.

church_of_light_ready.jpg

Pic of sanctuary

church-of-the-light-interior2.jpg

Another pic of sanctuary looking in the opposite direction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
No, it is actually in Qingdao, China. Who would've guessed that? Not me.

Would you like to post a pic for myself and others to guess at?

I didn't really think it was in Candor, NY, but it looks exactly like a lot of churches in the Central NY area. LOL.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums