Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm working on finishing up a multi-chaptered fic before the New Year, and I've put it off too long because of real life. I already have three other chaptered stories planned even though I don't really have the time; but I might make the time as I want to play around with different genres. I also have another one-shot parody in the works that I feel the need to finish as the Avengers fandom has a lot of tropes that are begging to be mocked relentlessly.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've written a number of fanfics. My biggest and longest one combines Star Wars, Star Trek, X-Men, Beast Wars, Starcraft, Transformers G1.
How do you even plan that? I've thought briefly about writing cross-overs, but I just can't get in that mode. I keep thinking that a Sherlock/Star Trek Into Darkness story could be interesting if done right.

Reactions: Wgw
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I always feel dumb around multi-chapter fanfic writers.

I can barely make one-shots, plot eludes me :waaah:
All writers feel dumb. I know I do. You're probably a lot better of a writer than you think you are.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for that :hoho:

Yeah, artists are their worst critics.
Well, I think your off the cuff posts on this board show that you're a good writer. Your stories are probably better, and your writing likely gets better with each story you write.

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0

SilverBlade

May 12, 2013
✟16,008.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How do you even plan that? I've thought briefly about writing cross-overs, but I just can't get in that mode. I keep thinking that a Sherlock/Star Trek Into Darkness story could be interesting if done right.

I started out with the base story (Maximals vs Predacons from Beast Wars) with the Predacons essentially controlling the galaxy.

Add in the other races from the other series to join forces with the Maximals. I mean the common factor is that all the races I chose were all space-faring.

It also helps to be a fan of pretty much everything sci-fi

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saricharity

Follower of Christ
Mar 24, 2014
Canada
✟75,597.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since I've been sick, I've had extra time on my hands so I started writing some fanfiction. It's been so much fun, and I've become addicted :). I must admit getting reviews from readers is a plus especially when the writer sounds intelligent and gives good tips for improvement. I've read some really good fanfiction. There are some really talented writers out there in fanfiction land.

At first I didn't know what slash was...:swoon::swoon::swoon:yikes!!
Some people have interesting imaginations. I have been confused by other terminology on fanfiction as well. Google has been my friend, but sometimes it doesn't even seem to know. Some terms are unique for certain fandoms.

At any rate, the more you write, the better your prose becomes. :)

Keep writing!

Upvote 0

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've been writing fanfiction for years. There was a time when it was a lifeline, as I could do little else due to ill health. I still write it now although as I'm trying to be a professional writer, obviously original stuff takes priority.

With regard to slash, I was into it at one point, before I became a Christian. This has caused a few problems as now I face several stories I started posting and now want to completely change. In some this can be achieved simply by replacing one character with another; in other cases it merits tearing the stories apart completely and rewriting practically from scratch.

There are some archives which don't allow slash fiction--they tend to be smaller, pickier ones, which can be beneficial. I guess it depends on the fandom though, I'm in three: Harry Potter, Buffy and Doctor Who, and have only found sites like that for the former. If you're in a big fandom it's probably worth a lot of Googling to track down the lesser-known archives.

I have yet to find a fanfic site that won't allow slash. Doesn't mean they don't exist but I haven't found one. A friend and I had discussed doing something like this but we also had to acknowledge that we'd irk a whole lot of folks who would start all the name calling because we wouldn't allow 'slash' or BDSM themes. One could still start a non-slash site of course and maybe one day my friend and I will actually do it.

Upvote 0

LadyNRA

Feb 21, 2006
✟8,360.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Are you talking about the Sherlock series? The fictions I like to read are based in the true character. ;) Victorian Holmes always.

Preston and Child (the authors) have a series of books about Holmesian type character (Pendergast) with serious physical and mental skills. Anyway, they wrote a book (can't recall the name but I think it had something like "white" or snow in the title. Anyway, it had a section in the story where the character is reading an unpublished Conan Doyle story about Holmes while the main theme also has something to do with that. So essentially it was a set of well known authors writing not just about A. Conan Doyle and Holmes but had a Holmes FANFIC inserted as part of the story. Love it!!!

Upvote 0