Family of 11-year-old boy who died in Texas cold snap file $100m lawsuit against power companies

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Gross negligence of duty: CERTAINLY people can be held accountable for that.
I believe it is called corporate manslaughter.

If more CEOs etc were held accountable for their actions companies might actually have a code of ethics.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

If more CEOs etc were held accountable for their actions companies might actually have a code of ethics.
EXACTLY.

Why do Conservatives want CRAZY harsh punishments for crimes but turn a blind eye to corporate malfeasence?

I had a thread with data that pointed out that Wage Theft is the MOST prevalent form of theft by, say 10 fold. Not only were some people fine with no prosecuting, it appeared, at times, that some people were EXCUSING it.

Ridiculous.

• Agree
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
EXACTLY.

Why do Conservatives want CRAZY harsh punishments for crimes but turn a blind eye to corporate malfeasence?

I had a thread with data that pointed out that Wage Theft is the MOST prevalent form of theft by, say 10 fold. Not only were some people fine with no prosecuting, it appeared, at times, that some people were EXCUSING it.

Ridiculous.
In my experience on this Christian forum money or the magic R has some kind of mind affecting power on many Americans.

It’s almost as if a subset of voters have been conditioned to defer to those with power.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Their stockholders hold them accountable.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why? They saved money. That’s all the collective shareholders care about.

That's what I meant. The stockholders hold them accountable for profits. It would be interesting to know how many stockholders would vote for, or against, needed but expensive upgrades. Perhaps there's some liability there.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
That's what I meant. The stockholders hold them accountable for profits. It would be interesting to know how many stockholders would vote for, or against, needed but expensive upgrades. Perhaps there's some liability there.
They obviously voted not to spend the money on the upgrades.

Or there would have been upgrades.

But to which consequences are CEOs held accountable? Do you have any specific examples?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I beg to differ. Compensation culture is big business, and it's always about getting as much money as possible. You are correct though when you say that such a thing is the norm.
You differ that anger is not one of the well-known stages of grieving?

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
But theoretically that means they neve rhave to do upkeep to their grid then. And if power fails...oh well.
Then their business fails and someone more competent takes over.....oh well......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution

Yeah, where you live but I don't believe Texas is in the UK. It seems few countries have any such law.
United States
In the U.S. there is currently no corporate manslaughter law. However, there have been numerous calls in the literature for a "corporate death penalty".[14][15][16][17] Most recently a study argued that industries that kill more people each year than they employ should have an industry-wide corporate death penalty.[18]
Corporate manslaughter - Wikipedia

• Informative
Reactions: Larniavc
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
....and what criminal negligence was that?
Hmm...... How can I put this so a conservative will understand.....

They were not concerned about the financial impact on their shareholders when their negligence of system maintenance was going to have a bad Public Relations outcome.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Hmm...... How can I put this so a conservative will understand.....

They were not concerned about the financial impact on their shareholders when their negligence of system maintenance was going to have a bad Public Relations outcome.
You didn't answer the question....all you did was try to issue an insult (poorly done I might add). So answer the question: what criminal negligence?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
You didn't answer the question....all you did was try to issue an insult (poorly done I might add). So answer the question: what criminal negligence?
I ABSOLUTELY answered the question.

They were not concerned about their shareholders' profit.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,057.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I ABSOLUTELY answered the question.

They were not concerned about their shareholders' profit.
Your 'answer' makes no sense but please, how does that make anyone criminally negligent? And remember, a corporation has a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders.
On the chance you don't understand the meaning of that.....
Fiduciary

An individual in whom another has placed the utmost trust and confidence to manage and protect property or money. The relationship wherein one person has an obligation to act for another's benefit.
Fiduciary Responsibilities

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Your 'answer' makes no sense but please, how does that make anyone criminally negligent? And remember, a corporation has a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders.
On the chance you don't understand the meaning of that.....
Fiduciary

An individual in whom another has placed the utmost trust and confidence to manage and protect property or money. The relationship wherein one person has an obligation to act for another's benefit.
Fiduciary Responsibilities
To me, if a company in charge of electrical systems gets recommendations to upgrade their system to deal with inevitable disasters (that were predicted), REFUSES to make those upgrades and it causes death, then I think they are criminally negligent.

But more importantly (I guess), they didn't fulfil their fiduciary responsibility. See, if we define fiduciary responsibility as you do: "The relationship wherein one person has an obligation to act for another's benefit", the board did NOT act in their benefit as choosing to not invest that money wisely at that time to avoid a massive tragedy (which isn't important). This affected their share price quite negatively.
This was NOT an appropriate decision as it would not increase their share price.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

They should have filed the lawsuit against those who foisted the whole "green energy" agenda on them. Places like Wisconsin where I live don't have that, and our power grid didn't freeze up and leave people in the cold. But then again, we don't have to rely on wind and solar for 20% or more of our power. Texas shouldn't have to either since they're loaded with oil. But, when the green energy people got ahold of power, people ended up dying.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,709.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
They should have filed the lawsuit against those who foisted the whole "green energy" agenda on them. Places like Wisconsin where I live don't have that, and our power grid didn't freeze up and leave people in the cold. But then again, we don't have to rely on wind and solar for 20% or more of our power. Texas shouldn't have to either since they're loaded with oil. But, when the green energy people got ahold of power, people ended up dying.
I see the conservative propaganda that blamed all of this on wind turbines was a very solid investment. Most conservatives will spend the rest of their life blaming this on freezing turbines.

Upvote 0