Family of 11-year-old boy who died in Texas cold snap file $100m lawsuit against power companies

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Former TX State Rep Jason Isaacs says ERCOT waited to initiate rolling black outs, allowing line voltages to drop and trip power plants offline. Then, the next morning, when they finally did initiate rolling black outs, they rolled those black outs over the "Permian Basin" natural gas field and all of its gas supply, which plummeted 75%

The Reality of What Happened In Texas Last Week -- MSM Is Lying

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
We don’t actually know the whole picture yet. I’ve read through about half of the 350-page report on the 2011 event. Without a similar investigation, it’s reasonable to think that the same kinds of things happened this time.

Generators failed for many reasons. One was lack of fuel (e.g. gas), but that wan’t the major cause. Mostly it was directly or indirectly caused by the weather.

Similarly, production of gas was down for several reasons. One was rolling blackouts. Apparently ERCOT delegates a certain amount of load to shed to the next lower level. At least in 2011, neither ERCOT nor those levels always knows what parts of their system supply gas generation. At any rate, that was only one of three major problems. Suprisingly (at least to me) anther major one was icy roads. There are things that have to be done on site regularly. If staff can’t get to a gas well, it may shut down automatically.

Obviously I don’t have full information on this year’s event. But I would suggest to you that either does Jason Isaacs. What he described surely happened. It happened in 2011. But jumping to it as the major cause is just as suspicious as jumping on frozen windmills.

The mainstream press has described the problem as failure to learn the lessons of the 2011 event. We won’t know for sure for some time, but I’d be willing to wager that they are right. I’d also be willing to bet that most of the failures could reasonably be classified as failure to winterize, almost by definition, since winterizing means taking the precautions needed to prevent failures due to low temperatures. That would include, in my view, separating out power to gas wells so that they don’t get caught in blackouts, just as other critical customers are protected. That was one of the recommendations of the report on the 2011 event.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It may indeed be too early to tell exactly how Texas went so wrong with this ice storm.

However, I think there are things we already know: that deregulation because you don't trust "gummint" lines the pockets of your rich buddies, but doesn't do a scrap of good for the citizens who rely on continuous power and heat during a storm.

I also think that we've learned that a lot of top-tier Texas politicians (Abbott and Cruz, looking at you two) are useless and completely uncaring about their fellow citizens....until a fire is lit under their rather large behinds to get something done.

I'm trying to imagine being a senator or governor of my state and going on Fox News to complain about windmills or taking a trip to Cancun while children freeze to death in their beds. I can't do it because I'm not a sociopath.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
deregulation because you don't trust "gummint" lines the pockets of your rich buddies
Leave regulation to the same folks who passed the "Equality Act" allowing schools to take children away from parents who oppose those schools administering puberty blockers to any deemed to have expressed a transgender identity?

Even as they decry "taking children away from parents" at the border?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Leave regulation to the same folks who passed the "Equality Act" allowing schools to take children away from parents who oppose those schools administering puberty blockers to any deemed to have expressed a transgender identity?

Schools don't administer puberty blockers, or any other medicine.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Show me a battery, or even a series of them that can power thousands of homes and businesses reliably through a week of inclement weather.
The wind blows during inclement weather.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Where do you get your disinformation?

• Haha
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,907.00
Faith
Christian
The customers will pay dearly for those upgrades. The city upgraded the sewer main on my street. My assessment was $2000.

So your alternative is to do nothing and let the power continue to fail?

if you received a $2000 property tax bill because your sewer was upgraded, maybe the problem is your tax system.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So your alternative is to do nothing and let the power continue to fail?

if you received a $2000 property tax bill because your sewer was upgraded, maybe the problem is your tax system.

I should clarify. The street in question was in front of my commercial property (apartment building). I don't think ordinary residential neighborhoods would have been charged this much.

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟230,907.00
Faith
Christian
I should clarify. The street in question was in front of my commercial property (apartment building). I don't think ordinary residential neighborhoods would have been charged this much.

Still seems strange. The only way I would be charged anything for upgrades on an investment property is if I re-developed it - then the council might hit me for storm water upgrades to accommodate additional runoff, or for some minor public works such as building a footpath in front of it (assuming there wasn't one there). Otherwise general taxes already pay for those upgrades.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums