Family of 11-year-old boy who died in Texas cold snap file $100m lawsuit against power companies

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If 2011 hadn’t happened that would be reasonable. But it did.

If they were ordered to winterize but didn't then they would be liable. Was there an order by a regulatory agency to do so?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,708.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
In NJ we had a major outage after Sandy. We invested billions of dollars to make the distribution system less vulnerable. But Texas didn’t, because its system is organized to shift risk off the companies to the consumers. This gives you lower rates but higher risk. That’s a decision Texans may choose to make. I’m glad I don’t live there.

Not all of Texas had problems. El Paso is part of the US grid, and winterized its facilities. They were fine. El Paso Heeded the Warnings and Avoided a Winter Catastrophe

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MIDutch

Apr 3, 2020
Detroit
✟75,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
So the blame should be laid at the feet of the Public Utility Commission of Texas, as governing authority.
Meh. People died. Happens all the time. Why punish the (GOP) politicians having to make difficult decisions or big corporations trying to make a profit?
[/s]

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,658.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Doing the right thing. Many Republican leaders would be out of jobs.
You are so right! But doing right is should be every politician's goal.I have heard some speaking harshly about their customers calling them useless eaters. Those useless eaters stopped buying their products and crippled their profits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It is very sad that a young child has died. What I find equally sad is that even though the child only died a few days ago, the almost obscene haste of the family to look for big money compensation.
They lost a precious little child. I would have thought their first concern would have been to grieve for the loss of that child and try and come to terms with that loss.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It is very sad that a young child has died. What I find equally sad is that even though the child only died a few days ago, the almost obscene haste of the family to look for big money compensation.
They lost a precious little child. I would have thought their first concern would have been to grieve for the loss of that child and try and come to terms with that loss.
One way of coming to terms with such a loss is to blame it on someone else. Right or wrong, that's totally normal behaviour and has little to do with "looking for big money".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,401,658.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
People grieve in their own way. I can see the family filing a suit in anger and looking for someone to blame for it.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes. Power cannot be guaranteed. That's a fact.
But theoretically that means they neve rhave to do upkeep to their grid then. And if power fails...oh well.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟569,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But theoretically that means they neve rhave to do upkeep to their grid then. And if power fails...oh well.

Not exactly... If a line burns down in a wet cow pasture, and electrocutes all the cattle, then the power company would be liable for the costs of the killed animals.

...But as far as "losing" electricity, due to acts of nature, it's impossible to hold the company responsible. Suppose there was an earthquake, or a plane crashes into powerlines, or a Falling tree, or a volcano causes reduced light to where solar doesn't work, or the Jetstream changes due to climate change, and wind farms fail.

Nature cannot be predicted.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It does seem suspicious.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟365,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Not exactly... If a line burns down in a wet cow pasture, and electrocutes all the cattle, then the power company would be liable for the costs of the killed animals.

...But as far as "losing" electricity, due to acts of nature, it's impossible to hold the company responsible. Suppose there was an earthquake, or a plane crashes into powerlines, or a Falling tree, or a volcano causes reduced light to where solar doesn't work, or the Jetstream changes due to climate change, and wind farms fail.

...and yet this EXACT scenario was predicted.

That is SOOOOOO weird!

pfft....climate scientists...what do they know eh?

Not only predicted but recommendations were given that would have NOT allowed thi to happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Where I live we have a "Citizens Utility Board" that makes sure rates are kept low. Do such consumer advocates also starve the power companies of money needed for upgrades? Seems to me that people often make a 'deal with the devil' just to save a few bucks then scream when it bites them in the rear.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟10,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does that foretell future lawsuits for other deaths? I can’t see how they’ll distinguish one life is more important than another. Unless they do a class-action lawsuit.

Yours in His Service,

~bella
Usually by economic loss which are what actuaries are for.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I dunno. I think one could have predicted that Puerto Rico would eventually suffer a catastrophic hurricane, for which they had decades to prepare but didn't.

We have thousands of miles of dikes in flood prone areas that need upgrading as well. Every flood in those areas brings enormous losses when their dikes, predictably, fail.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟10,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well, most building codes nowadays require a certain amount of earthquake-proofing in structures built on fault lines. When a plane crashes into a power-line, I'm pretty sure the airline is held responsible. When the jet-stream changes, as it will, weather stations track it and report it to those who need to be aware. In this particular case, the wind farm failed only because the company failed to winterize it because who could've possibly have foreseen winter.

You're so right! Who could predict that winters get cold or summers hot? Who could possibly predict a river overflowing into the floodplains or tornadoes in the spring in the Texas panhandle or wildfires in the western forests or mudslides on a deforested mountainside or hurricanes in Caribbean or beach erosion on the coast? Nature is so mysterious!

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
One way of coming to terms with such a loss is to blame it on someone else. Right or wrong, that's totally normal behaviour and has little to do with "looking for big money".
I beg to differ. Compensation culture is big business, and it's always about getting as much money as possible. You are correct though when you say that such a thing is the norm.

Upvote 0