Fake people in Churches? what do y'all think?

Fobulous

Conquer by Patience
May 12, 2006
Missouri City,Texas
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been attending a local Baptist church for almost a month now and thought the people in there are extremely friendly and welcoming.

I was so excited that i started telling my friends about my discovery and one of them said that she hasn't been going to church since she moved out of her mom's! Her reason was that she found that most of the churchgoers at her church were nice only during Sundays...and then from Mon-Sat they were "a**holes" she was very put off by this and generally stopped going every week and eventually stopped altogether.

My question to you guys is if you are noticing similar things? Are church goers judgmental? Are they just actors/actress on Sundays?

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have been attending a local Baptist church for almost a month now and thought the people in there are extremely friendly and welcoming.

I was so excited that i started telling my friends about my discovery and one of them said that she hasn't been going to church since she moved out of her mom's! Her reason was that she found that most of the churchgoers at her church were nice only during Sundays...and then from Mon-Sat they were "a**holes" she was very put off by this and generally stopped going every week and eventually stopped altogether.

My question to you guys is if you are noticing similar things? Are church goers judgmental? Are they just actors/actress on Sundays?
Fobulous,

Why are you making an assessment of this Baptist church after only a month, based on an assessment by one of your friends? Is she making an assessment of the same church you are attending? This we do know. Our worldview ought to deal with what is happening not only in church (with a broader application). We need to be people of discernment:

• Romans 12:2, ' Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect' (ESV).
  • Ephesians 5:10, 'and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord' (ESV).
  • Hebrews 5:14, 'But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil'.
All Christians are to care for one another, pray for one another and minister to one another. This is what the Scriptures state:

• James 5:16, 'Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working' (ESV);
  • Ephesians 6:18, 'Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints' (ESV).
  • 1 Corinthians 12:26, 'If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together.' (ESV).
We need to be a functioning body of Christ, a Community of the King of Kings. Are these things happening in your Baptist church? We are the body of Christ and we need to be caring for one another when we meet.

If there is an atmosphere like this in your church, then it will be fairly easy to pick the fake from the genuine through discernment and then counsel of these people should happen and this may even lead to discipline of them if they are not in line with your church's statement of faith and practice. Yes, discipline! That's what the Scripture says:

• 2 Thessalonians 3:14 ESV, 'If anyone does not obey what we say in this letter, take note of that person, and have nothing to do with him, that he may be ashamed';
  • Romans 16:17 ESV, ;I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them'.

• Matthew 18:15-20 ESV 'If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. But if he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, that every charge may be established by the evidence of two or three witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. Truly, I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven'.
Finally, we can expect the wheat and the tares (weeds) to grow together until harvest. See Matthew 13:24-30. Please don't seek to find the perfect church with perfect people who always treat you perfectly. If they are anything like me, they will make mistakes and sin against one another and in other ways. Please don't give up on them, but the areas I have mentioned above are important in Christian growth. Is the church you are attending also practising evangelism and discipleship?

Have you had opportunity to meet with the pastor and/or church leaders to address your concerns?

Most importantly, are you the genuine, loving, caring Christian that will make a Christ-like difference in your congregation?

In Christ,
Oz

Upvote 0

Fobulous

Conquer by Patience
May 12, 2006
Missouri City,Texas
✟7,654.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello Oz,

I am not making any assessment about the church i'm attending. i'm just wondering if she experienced is a legitimate cause of declining membership in most of the churches now days, which is a fact that we cannot ignore. Or is she just not trusting anyone and making judgmental opinions..

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Hello Oz,

I am not making any assessment about the church i'm attending. i'm just wondering if she experienced is a legitimate cause of declining membership in most of the churches now days, which is a fact that we cannot ignore. Or is she just not trusting anyone and making judgmental opinions..
Could your friend have experienced this with a few people and she is making a generalisation? If so, it is an unfair assessment to apply to ALL what is done by a FEW.

I'd be going to talk with the pastor and/or elders in that church.

Or is this a statement about her own stunted relationship with Jesus? Only you know what is happening in her life. From the little information you have given, it could relate to where she is with the Lord. Is she born again? If so, she should want to be with God's people.

Oz

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I think that if there is declining attendance in churchs, one cause may be people have stopped believing the Bible and mistrust God. Science has begun giving us their "truth" about God and people believe science over faith.
That can happen in the Western world, but if it is, the churches should be providing apologetic teaching to deal with what's happening in our world. Most often where I live, that is in short supply.

However, if that person is living in Iran, Syria of the Congo, something very different could be causing people not to attend a church gathering. I receive prayer letters and news updates from Open Doors, Voice of the Martyrs, and the Barnabas Fund and they give very different stories to yours of what is happening to the persecuted churches around the world.

In Christ, Oz

Upvote 0

renewed21

what are you waiting for?
Apr 5, 2012
at my house
✟6,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes, there are a share of superficials in every church, but at one point we all were. This should have no bearing on your friends or anyones walk though.

Upvote 0

renewed21

Apr 5, 2012
at my house
✟6,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello Oz,

IMO it is a cause of decline in church membership. I have been told the same thing, as what your firend said, explicitly by several people.

Upvote 0

renewed21

Apr 5, 2012
at my house
✟6,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that if there is declining attendance in churchs, one cause may be people have stopped believing the Bible and mistrust God. Science has begun giving us their "truth" about God and people believe science over faith.

IMO it is the growing, pervasive mindset of relativism rather than people trusting science. From my own personal experience I have met few people who have any significant grasp of science.

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes. It's called 'hypocrisy'. Everyone is a hypocrite at times, that's just how it is, but then there are those who are serious, 24/7 hypocrites. Sad but true. You're always going to deal with fakes in churches, not excluding Baptist churches. The best way to fight it is to simply abstain from hypocrisy yourself in being as genuine and sincere to the best of your ability.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SoulBap6

Sep 12, 2011
✟8,358.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Ozspen in places out side of the USA Christianity takes on a different attitude all together. I was told of a Young man a African who was caught up in a country where the Country was taken over by Muslims. They told this Young Man if he converted to Islam that no harm would come to him but if he did not he would be killed. The young Man told these men that he did not want to Die but he could not give up his Jesus. He was shot several times AND DIED IN THE STREET.

In are world today persecution in other countries is not well published the seculair News papers do not give news that has to deal with Christians, and what happens in other countries especially Islamic countries. Death to Christians is what Islam wants to do to us. We are to them Infidles and are dogs to them to be killed. That is Part of their Bible tells them to do just that, forgiveness is not in the Koran, especially for christians.

Many people in America have no idea of WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A CHRISTIAN IN A HOSTLE COUNTRY. We have judgemental people who think Church is a social gethering and because people are sunday Christians. People think somehow they should let this cause them or give them an excuse to stay out of Church. Church is for the spiritual sick not the Saints.

When I preach I have asked people why do you come to Church in the first Place? I tell them it is to worship Almighty God. Its a place where Christian get fed on the word of God. So that those that do not know Jesus Christ as their personal lord and Saviour can surrender their lives to the Lord Jesus Christ. Church is not a social Club, it is a place to be discipled and taught the word of God. So you can go out and do the mission God gave all Christians to do. is spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Many people in America want to be entertained with music and wonderful speakers. Buildings that are beautiful Air-conditioned and heated and nice Chairs. Just for starters the Pastor wants to be paid a large salary, cost a lot to live. If church members are not comfortable they leave and go somewhere these things make them comfortable.

I myself preach in a rescue mission, Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The people I preach to are addicted to drugs,alcohol, mentally challenged they are street people. Some are homeless Military ,Clergy, people just getting out of prison they carry what they own on their backs.

Many Pastors have told me they could not do what I do, it is my calling. I tell people if you want to get humble come and visit with me one Sunday. When I think about my Brothers and Sisters in other countries and the persecutions they face it makes me humble to realize how easy it is for me to bring the Good new of Jesus Christ.

I know I get long winded I love my Jesus and I want to serve him as I should, Keep the Name of Jesus Christ where you live. God Bless you.

Upvote 0

americanvet

Saved Sinner
Jun 15, 2012
The White Couch of Pristinia
✟20,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I always get tickled when people don't like church because it is full of sinners and then don't like church because they say everyone is a sinner.

Church IS a place for sinners and we should think Christ for this! Maybe no one has taken the time to tell your friend this.

Upvote 0

thegospel4all

Aug 10, 2012
✟15,166.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife said the same thing about a Baptist church she attended when she was in her 20s. She knew of people who would party it up and sleep around and even be in church bragging to each other how hungover they were on Sunday morning in church.

That said....

We are all still works in progress and the one who believes they are sinless...well good luck with that and you will find different in this life or the next.

That said....

I believe we are at the very threshold of the beginning of the end of days...days like we've never imagined, had God's Word not told us it would be so.

Our faith and relationship to our Lord Jesus will be tested, even as it has been for countless martyrs and the persecuted church around the world, now, and down through the centuries.

Days are quickly coming toward us that will make most messages preached in pulpits all over the U.S. in particular, sound like cotton-candy coated rhetoric, compared to the powerful truths, prayers and cries for God's mercy that will come from what's left of congregations, in pools of their own tears, on their faces before God.

"Our Lord Jesus please help us! Oh, our Mighty God please be with us! Oh Lord we need you so desperately...please be with us...please, oh Lord, be with us!"

I'd recommend a book, "Radical" by David Platt...it should leave you speechless with tears streaming down your face.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
My wife said the same thing about a Baptist church she attended when she was in her 20s. She knew of people who would party it up and sleep around and even be in church bragging to each other how hungover they were on Sunday morning in church.

That said....

We are all still works in progress and the one who believes they are sinless...well good luck with that and you will find different in this life or the next.

That said....

I believe we are at the very threshold of the beginning of the end of days...days like we've never imagined, had God's Word not told us it would be so.

Our faith and relationship to our Lord Jesus will be tested, even as it has been for countless martyrs and the persecuted church around the world, now, and down through the centuries.

Days are quickly coming toward us that will make most messages preached in pulpits all over the U.S. in particular, sound like cotton-candy coated rhetoric, compared to the powerful truths, prayers and cries for God's mercy that will come from what's left of congregations, in pools of their own tears, on their faces before God.

"Our Lord Jesus please help us! Oh, our Mighty God please be with us! Oh Lord we need you so desperately...please be with us...please, oh Lord, be with us!"

I'd recommend a book, "Radical" by David Platt...it should leave you speechless with tears streaming down your face.

There are "Christians" who will tell you they don't or cannot sin. There are also Christians who are Christian during the Church Service, but figure that is enough of this "Christian business." Both will lead you astray if you listen to them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renewed21

Apr 5, 2012
at my house
✟6,374.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I always get tickled when people don't like church because it is full of sinners and then don't like church because they say everyone is a sinner.

Church IS a place for sinners and we should think Christ for this! Maybe no one has taken the time to tell your friend this.

You are correct americanvet, but IMO the context is that there is no want/desire to progress in their walk. A pervasive sense of deliberate stagation in the church body is what "turns off" the friend and folks in general.

But, again, this should have no bearing on an individual's relationship to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SoulBap6

Sep 12, 2011
✟8,358.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Renewed21 I see Churches torn apart because the pastor leaves, or someone is gossiping, pervasive sense of deliberate stagation in the church body is what "turns off" the friend and folks in general. the bottom line is Satan has arrived at Church.The world
has come in no one wants to follow the Lord. As I was listening to a sermon at the Church I attend that many times we don't wait on the Lord to answer Prayer. Talking about Saul the first King and how he lost his Kingdom. We follow man rather than God, or we lean on are own understanding. The Church is not a Country club for Saints it is a Hospital for sinners. The relationship we have with God is not dependent upon the Church, it is an individual Choice, America needs to wake up.

Upvote 0

Michaelismyname

Jun 11, 2012
✟1,230.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Ozspen in places out side of the USA Christianity takes on a different attitude all together. I was told of a Young man a African who was caught up in a country where the Country was taken over by Muslims. They told this Young Man if he converted to Islam that no harm would come to him but if he did not he would be killed. The young Man told these men that he did not want to Die but he could not give up his Jesus. He was shot several times AND DIED IN THE STREET.

In are world today persecution in other countries is not well published the seculair News papers do not give news that has to deal with Christians, and what happens in other countries especially Islamic countries. Death to Christians is what Islam wants to do to us. We are to them Infidles and are dogs to them to be killed. That is Part of their Bible tells them to do just that, forgiveness is not in the Koran, especially for christians.

Many people in America have no idea of WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A CHRISTIAN IN A HOSTLE COUNTRY. We have judgemental people who think Church is a social gethering and because people are sunday Christians. People think somehow they should let this cause them or give them an excuse to stay out of Church. Church is for the spiritual sick not the Saints.

When I preach I have asked people why do you come to Church in the first Place? I tell them it is to worship Almighty God. Its a place where Christian get fed on the word of God. So that those that do not know Jesus Christ as their personal lord and Saviour can surrender their lives to the Lord Jesus Christ. Church is not a social Club, it is a place to be discipled and taught the word of God. So you can go out and do the mission God gave all Christians to do. is spread the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Many people in America want to be entertained with music and wonderful speakers. Buildings that are beautiful Air-conditioned and heated and nice Chairs. Just for starters the Pastor wants to be paid a large salary, cost a lot to live. If church members are not comfortable they leave and go somewhere these things make them comfortable.

I myself preach in a rescue mission, Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. The people I preach to are addicted to drugs,alcohol, mentally challenged they are street people. Some are homeless Military ,Clergy, people just getting out of prison they carry what they own on their backs.

Many Pastors have told me they could not do what I do, it is my calling. I tell people if you want to get humble come and visit with me one Sunday. When I think about my Brothers and Sisters in other countries and the persecutions they face it makes me humble to realize how easy it is for me to bring the Good new of Jesus Christ.

I know I get long winded I love my Jesus and I want to serve him as I should, Keep the Name of Jesus Christ where you live. God Bless you.

such rendering of the truth of real Christianity always reminds me of one of my favorite versus that i sometimes think is one of the most swept under the mat versus in the western church - especially the latter half of it

"that I might know him in the power of his Resurrection AND THE FELLOWSHIP OF HIS SUFFERING ...."

Upvote 0

jomarc

Jan 19, 2012
✟7,982.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
All churches have hypocrites. Since no Christian is perfect...that means that each and everyone of us is a hypocrite at times.

Guess what...because of this fact--that all of us sin-- that is all the more reason that we all need to be in God's house each and every weekend.

Another way to look at this: It should be our hope each and every week that there will be unsaved people who choose to worship with us. If a church doesn't have any lost people present, she is probably not doing her job.

What is sad, however.....is that there are unsaved people attending our churches who actually think they are saved. These are the ones we should be concerned about. And again....all the more reason for these folks to be in our churches. Hopefully if the hear the gospel enough, then things will finally "click into place" for them, and they will realize their need for a Savior.

That all having been said, I think it is very important that churches need to emphasize accountability with one another. We need our fellow brothers and sisters to help us grow in our Walk. And hopefully they will need us as well.

Upvote 0

ThyLovingkindness

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2012
✟14,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People need to keep their minds and hearts upon why they're in church in the first place... and that's to worship Christ. If folks are spending more time assessing parishioners' shortcomings, then I tend to think that their focus is wrong, and they're using this as an excuse to do things like skip church. All throughout scripture it talks about even the believer not being perfect... Jesus is perfect... that should be our focus. And we need to pray for those who are "hypocritical." Sometimes the very qualities we tend to criticize in others, believers or otherwise, are those that we need to work on and change within ourselves. Think about it. I mean, who are we to judge? Those who are without sin, then get real busy and hurl that first stone. Blessings!

Upvote 0