Fake News (why russia is not the only proof of it existing)

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
If low ball entertainment is what you desire in politics, I am sure that there will be enough similar fake news generated this time to keep you amused for years to come.

I said exactly the opposite of that, actually.

Ken Starr got distracted by soiled dresses. I hope that Bob Mueller will stick to the substantive issues.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I said exactly the opposite of that, actually.

Ken Starr got distracted by soiled dresses. I hope that Bob Mueller will stick to the substantive issues.
Oh.
Well to stick to substantive issues, there would have to be some evidence of substantive issues in the first place. With Watergate, there was full evidence of a crime being committed. The white collar crime of White water is a lot harder to understand, but the corruption investigated was clear enough.
Nobody has any inkling of what kind of crime was committed in this latest investigation.
That is what led me to believe that anyone cheering on the special investigator is only interested in the entertainment aspect.
That is all that the story has been about to date, and with you wanting the story to meander into all sorts of other directions, it was an easy assumption top make that that was the kind of thing that you are interested in.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Oh.
Well to stick to substantive issues, there would have to be some evidence of substantive issues in the first place. With Watergate, there was full evidence of a crime being committed. The white collar crime of White water is a lot harder to understand, but the corruption investigated was clear enough.
Nobody has any inkling of what kind of crime was committed in this latest investigation.
That is what led me to believe that anyone cheering on the special investigator is only interested in the entertainment aspect.
That is all that the story has been about to date, and with you wanting the story to meander into all sorts of other directions, it was an easy assumption top make that that was the kind of thing that you are interested in.

1) Investigations also occur to determine if a crime was committed. That is what this investigation is for.

2) I didn't say I wanted to investigation to meander in any salacious way.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
1) Investigations also occur to determine if a crime was committed. That is what this investigation is for.

2) I didn't say I wanted to investigation to meander in any salacious way.
You led me to believe that you would be happy for the investigation to meander from its orignal intent. That is what led me to the understanding that I came to.

Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
You led me to believe that you would be happy for the investigation to meander from its orignal intent. That is what led me to the understanding that I came to.

I said it could meander based on the mandate.

However, looking back over our posts, I can see why you made the conclusion you did.

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Untitled.png

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's long been noted that if you ever see the media report on something that you have expertise in, you will always see that the reporting is poor to the extent that it shows almost no understanding of the issue at all.

If you are religious, you will notice the media screwing up the basic tenets of your religion. If you are scientist, you will notice the media completely misrepresenting the state of affairs in your area of research, and often even the basics of the scientific method itself. If you live in a swing state, you will notice that when the media visits your town every 4 years they can't pronounce any of the local place names correctly and that their description of your community in no way resembles anything that you see in your day to day life. And so on. If you have prior knowledge of what is being reported on, chances are very good that you'll notice that the reporting is inaccurate.

This isn't exactly a new insight. Michael Crichton discussed this when he coined the "Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect" in 2002 (fifteen years ago), but the idea had shown up in media criticism throughout the 90's. Thus everyone who has been paying attention to the media since that point should be aware that they are often inaccurate.

All that has happened recently is that their despair over Hillary's loss has caused them to drop all pretenses about what they are doing, so that the situation has become all but impossible to ignore. (Not that the pretenses were that strong before the election; for instance remember the reporting of the Gabby Giffords shooting or the Kermitt Gosnell case?)

Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's long been noted that if you ever see the media report on something that you have expertise in, you will always see that the reporting is poor to the extent that it shows almost no understanding of the issue at all.

If you are religious, you will notice the media screwing up the basic tenets of your religion. If you are scientist, you will notice the media completely misrepresenting the state of affairs in your area of research, and often even the basics of the scientific method itself. If you live in a swing state, you will notice that when the media visits your town every 4 years they can't pronounce any of the local place names correctly and that their description of your community in no way resembles anything that you see in your day to day life. And so on. If you have prior knowledge of what is being reported on, chances are very good that you'll notice that the reporting is inaccurate.

This isn't exactly a new insight. Michael Crichton discussed this when he coined the "Gell-Mann Amnesia Effect" in 2002 (fifteen years ago), but the idea had shown up in media criticism throughout the 90's. Thus everyone who has been paying attention to the media since that point should be aware that they are often inaccurate.

All that has happened recently is that their despair over Hillary's loss has caused them to drop all pretenses about what they are doing, so that the situation has become all but impossible to ignore. (Not that the pretenses were that strong before the election; for instance remember the reporting of the Gabby Giffords shooting or the Kermitt Gosnell case?)
Thanks for the comment, informative!

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure if I should post the following material, but I seem to have come across some training material that the DNC and the various US Security Agencies have been using to train their employees regarding Russian interference in US affairs.

Click in the Spoiler

The Russians are Coming.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
  • Haha
Reactions: Biblicist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Now I realize that some people may read that list and say that I am being overly nitpicky. After all, most of the errors consisted in the wrong use of a single word, and many of them were eventually corrected.

But consider this: would you respect a sports writer who habitually made absurd errors, like saying that the Blue Jays were on track to win the prestigious Stanley Cup, that Michael Jordan was one of the greatest baseball players of all time, that the officials handed down a Yellow Card against the Packers or that a Blackhawks game had an intense first quarter? If this was common of sports writers, you'd think that they didn't know much about sports, and certainly not enough to be writing about them. The same thing is true, as far as I can see, with the types of errors that reporters regularly make about religion.

And you can go to other areas and find reporting just as bad: science reporting is infamous for how big of gaffes reporters will put out for instance. In fact, you'll usually find that when you know something about an area, the reporting always contains extremely basic errors which should be obvious to anyone with a qualified background in the topic. The only area where you might have enough information to tell if they are making mistakes and where you might actually see good reporting actually is in sports. Everyone else you'll either notice errors or, like in politics, you won't have enough independent information to say for sure if their reporting is good or bad.

But if their reporting is bad in most areas that you know something about, chances are good that it's also bad in areas that you don't know anything about.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Very good! Trump is very very funny man. Makes world laugh.

Yes, he does make the world laugh, but I'm tired of our country being seen as a joke because of him.

• Agree
Reactions: EpiscipalMe
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

createdtoworship

In the grip of grace
Mar 13, 2004
West Coast USA
✟33,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I found this meme on Twitter. It is the perfect explanation of Fake News in the context of what Trump means by Fake News:
DF75i2OVoAAzs7o.jpg
biblically a lie is when you know that the implications of what you are saying are false, or you know people will interpret what you are saying as truth when it's a lie. So fake news is basically lying according to the Bible.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I never get my religious views from the tabloids. Never.

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you that the New York Times is a tabloid, but I don't think that it's a majority opinion.

Upvote 0