Southeast
✟48,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Back in the day, we raised cattle on land marginal for farming. That meant those parcels didn't have to be broken, harrowed, planted, plowed, and harvested during the growing season. Vehicle traffic was reduced to spreading fertilizer once a year and hauling hay in the winter. The hay came from other pastures that saw fertilizer once a year and mowing/bailing several weeks in the summer.

Being it was our farm, our beef came from our cattle that was raised on pasture and hay. Most of those we sold were likely sent to feed-out pens. Those feed-out pens are what AGW proponents focus on, but the pens are the last step before butchering. At least in my day, cattle weren't perpetually kept in feed-out pens.

All this means I'm highly skeptical of the argument that reducing meat consumption reduces carbon footprint. On the contrary, I suspect replacing meat with plant protean will lead to an increase due to the fuel used to grow it.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They’re expected to clear $400 million in revenue this year, with $85 million in profit post-business and labor costs. They’re fine. They were warned in 2021 their company had too many upper-level management tiers and needed to consolidate and refine wholesale distribution, which is what they’re doing. In August they laid off the first batch of upper management, in October they said there would be more after the holidays as roles were consolidated and distribution channels streamlined. So far, all the layoffs have departure dates of October 2023 with no-fault, no notice required options for employees who find work before then.

Honestly, it’s not that dramatic.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Back in the day, we raised cattle on land marginal for farming. That meant those parcels didn't have to be broken, harrowed, planted, plowed, and harvested during the growing season. Vehicle traffic was reduced to spreading fertilizer once a year and hauling hay in the winter. The hay came from other pastures that saw fertilizer once a year and mowing/bailing several weeks in the summer.

Being it was our farm, our beef came from our cattle that was raised on pasture and hay. Most of those we sold were likely sent to feed-out pens. Those feed-out pens are what AGW proponents focus on, but the pens are the last step before butchering. At least in my day, cattle weren't perpetually kept in feed-out pens.

All this means I'm highly skeptical of the argument that reducing meat consumption reduces carbon footprint. On the contrary, I suspect replacing meat with plant protean will lead to an increase due to the fuel used to grow it.
Your family’s beef production is not representative of either the modern American beef industry where only a few percentage of cattle are grass fed and where 40% of national corn production is used for livestock feed (I couldn’t find the % just for beef), nor of global beef ranching where large swaths of forest are burned to expose land for grazing. There’s plenty of material on the subject if you want to read it.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I haven't noticed any problem getting Impossible Burgers. The local cafe has them in sandwiches and burgers all the time.

It wouldn't surprise me if growth is down. They aren't exactly health food, and will appeal mostly to people that don't want to eat meat for various ethical reasons, as they have alot of saturated fat. I'm a vegan but I generally stick to healthier foods, and only eat Beyond/Impossible Burgers once in a while.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Back in the day, we raised cattle on land marginal for farming.
This has to do with heart attacks, strokes, and other food-related diseases. Not the efficient use of farmland. Esp when people go into a convenience store and just about everything in there is harmful for them to consume. God is going to hold us accountable for the harm we do to others.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It wouldn't surprise me if growth is down.
Over time you realize you are not getting the nutrition from them that you get from other foods. So it becomes a catch-22. We have to balance the benefit against the risk and ask ourselves do we really need to be eating this and what is the benefit of what I am doing.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Your family’s beef production is not representative of either the modern American beef industry where only a few percentage of cattle are grass fed
I've driven all over the state of Texas; and all that I have seen is cows in open fields, eating grass.

1677333598386.png

Attachments

• 1677333478181.png
    1677333478181.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 15
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Over time you realize you are not getting the nutrition from them that you get from other foods. So it becomes a catch-22. We have to balance the benefit against the risk and ask ourselves do we really need to be eating this and what is the benefit of what I am doing.

A plant-based diet is fully capable of supporting a person's nutritional needs. In fact, alot of what is provided in red meat, such as haeme iron, is actually undesirable as it will accumulate in the body and the brain over time (in men especially this is the case), causing oxidative stress and interfering with the health of neurons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Diamond7

Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
A plant-based diet is fully capable of supporting a person's nutritional needs. In fact, alot of what is provided in red meat, such as haeme iron, is actually undesirable as it will accumulate in the body and the brain over time (in men especially this is the case), causing oxidative stress and interfering with the health of neurons.
According to the research that Dr Ornish has done, diet and exercise are the keys to good health. Even people; can recover from an otherwise fatal disease if they start to eat right.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,102,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That could very well depends on where you drive in Texas. You may find this interesting:

https://texasfarmbureau.org/farmland-grazing-rental-rates-rise/
Friday I passed a herd grazing in a pasture, but since that disagrees with the narrative, that probably won't count.
I've driven all over Texas. I've crossed its' borders North, South, East, and West. I saw cows, freely roaming the fields, eating grass, mostly to the North, South and East; but I've seen plenty of signs, left behind by grazing cows, in the Desert West. I picked up one once, thinking that it was a dried out cactus; but when I broke it in half, and saw remnants of blades of dried out grass inside; I realized what I was holding.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I may try it one Lenten Friday.

TBT, it takes so much grain to produce a pound of meat that it would be hard to make the case for plant burgers harming the environment. I have found the texture to be different but the taste quite close.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟48,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've driven all over Texas. I've crossed its' borders North, South, East, and West. I saw cows, freely roaming the fields, eating grass, mostly to the North, South and East; but I've seen plenty of signs, left behind by grazing cows, in the Desert West. I picked up one once, thinking that it was a dried out cactus; but when I broke it in half, and saw remnants of blades of dried out grass inside; I realized what I was holding.
That reminded me of something I saw once during a drought. I think it was in west Texas where farmers were burning the spines off prickly pear for cattle to eat (this was early 1970s).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I may try it one Lenten Friday.

TBT, it takes so much grain to produce a pound of meat that it would be hard to make the case for plant burgers harming the environment. I have found the texture to be different but the taste quite close.

Compared to when I was vegan nearly two decades ago, there are alot more high quality "meat analogues" that are convincing enough. And the vegan cheese back then was terrible.

A local hipster diner has a sandwich I like, it's called "Itsa Me Mario". It's a portabello mushroom with sun-dried tomatoes and vegan provolone cheese. The provolone tastes more or less the same as dairy cheese (it's probably VioLife, another good brand is Miyoko's Creamery).

I don't eat even much vegan cheese, I don't keep it around the house. I only eat it as a treat once in a while. While it has less saturated fat than dairy cheese, I try to avoid as much saturated fat as I can (usually below 5 grams a day), because it keeps my cholesterol fairly low.

Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The very first sentence on that page:
I don't think you have totally understood the way most beef cattle are raised. Yes, most of the beef that we eat comes from feed lots that put the cattle on grain feed in an intensive feed out process to create fast weight gain and fat gain. However, this process is expensive and they try to minimize the amount of time until the meat is processed. Most of the calves are birthed and raised in pasture based cow-calf operations for nearly a year before selling them to the feedlots. These feedlots do not typically own cows for breeding and are not willing to wait the 10 months until the cow gives birth. They are also not conducive for raising small calves as the packed and unsanitary conditions would cause health issues. So it is normal for most cattle to spend more time eating and growing in a pasture than a feedlot. This does not excuse the problems caused by the feedlots. It just tries to put this process into context.

• Informative
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Sincere question: Why would a vegan want fake meat anyway? I automatically assume after a while, they would hate the taste of animal products. Maybe I'm wrong.

Some do, some don't. Some fake meats taste more or less realistic, and people eat the diet for a variety of reasons, not all having to do with taste or aesthetics.

When I was a vegan as a young adult years ago, they didn't really have the same realism. All the mock meats tasted like the hamburgers or mystery loafs you'ld get in institutional cooking. An acquired taste, more or less. Burger King had a plant-based burger back then, and I used to eat them all the time, but they used Garden Burgers (a mixture of the soy protein combined with bits of vegetables and spices, sort of like a high quality "mystery loaf"). I miss those sometimes now days, becaues the Impossible Burger replaced it in restaurants.

Now days I eat alot more beans and lentils, mostly because it's cheaper.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟93,833.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sincere question: Why would a vegan want fake meat anyway? I automatically assume after a while, they would hate the taste of animal products. Maybe I'm wrong.
Two daughters of my late wife's friend attended a cookout. They both claimed to be vegetarians, making salads while the rest of us ate hamburgers. On their salads they sprinkled Bac-O's (imitation bacon bits). I asked them the same thing-why would you put imitation meat in your salad if you are anti-meat?
*Personal note- I actually like Bac-O's on my salad over real bacon bits- the real ones are chewy, unless you fry them up on the spot. Fake ones add a crunch to a salad

Upvote 0