F. Athanasios Mytilinaios: The seven deadly sins (is murder one of them?)

SingularityOne

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2018
Nashville
✟538,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rage and pride lead to the action of murder. Unless it’s protecting your family and/or the like. “What is the intent?” usually is the best question here. Although, Fr. Matt may be able to correct me here if I’m off base.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟754,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A little off topic, but I wonder if the source of these lists of sins are traceable to what are a concept of 7 spirits given to man at creation & 7 spirits of deceit engendered by the fall of man. These are written about in the 2nd c. BC collection of Jewish writings called the Testaments of the 12 Patriarchs. These numbers are given in the 1st chapter of the Testament of Reuben:

The Forgotten Books of Eden: Testament of Reuben: Chapter I

There seems to be much scholarly debate about when these writings were actually done or “Christian interpolations” were added but the 2nd c. BC period seems to be agreed that they existed in some form then. They also refer to the book of Enoch 2 or 3 times which seems to undercut some of the alleged “Christian interpolation” idea. These are interesting writings with much wisdom although they seem to suffer from pharisee tendencies.

Sorry for the digression.

Upvote 0