Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
My eyes are yellow green, heavy on the yellow.

Typically known as 'hazel'.
OB

upload_2020-11-30_17-15-1.png

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Babies are usually born with blue-ish eyes which may change over the first couple of years as melanin levels cut in

True. My daughter’s were blueish gray. Now they’re hazel. So are my mother’s.

~bella

Reactions: Occams Barber
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Thought it was time to make an eye color thread.

The color of my eye depends on the lighting. Although for the most part I would say they are dark green. Wish they were a lighter shade of green but that is the way it goes.
I'd say mine's green, but I think it's hazel on my expired driver's permit (yeah, I'm sad). Nvm, says green, I'll take it.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Technically you're probably hazel. Hazel can be a mix including different proportions of brown, green and amber.

I thought hazel had to have amber and or grey as well and I don't have any that I can see, unless its so mixed in I can't tell. ‍¯\_(ツ)_/¯ My dad has hazel eyes.

Years ago I knew a little boy -who would be long grown by now who had one brown eye and one blue- Heterochromia It was quite stunning.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting. Looks similar to my eyes. Although the part surrounding my pupil is dark green beyond that there is a band of brown (not noticeable unless up close) then more green with a little blue.

I might be more hazel?

That is definitely hazel but I see no amber or grey in mine.

I know I must carry blue/grey since my son has grey blue eyes. My husband has blue eyes so all he must carry is blue.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I know I must carry blue/grey since my son has grey blue eyes. My husband has blue eyes so all he must carry is blue.

From browsing google I think you're probably correct. Even though my eyes appear to be more dominantly green than the hazel examples I've been looking at I've read it doesn't matter. Changed my vote.

Looks like the blues are winning now, lol.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,270,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Mine are brown with some green -which isn't on the poll but I don't think that falls under weird lol.
Yep me too. The green shows up more in natural light.

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Interesting. Looks similar to my eyes. Although the part surrounding my pupil is dark green beyond that there is a band of brown (not noticeable unless up close) then more green with a little blue.

I might be more hazel?

Looking at a range of photos of eyes it seems that they vary on a continuum rather than as a set of discrete colours. Apart from the amount of melanin there are two or three other chemicals which affect colour. The type a of light, it's intensity or direction can also change the perceived colour. Even brown eyes come in two recognised variants (light and dark).

Hazel seems to be the most difficult colour to pin down because it has at least 3 colours (brown, green, amber) but may include a bit of blue.

OB

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced

There may be up to 16 different genes determining someone's eye colour. Apparently there's no guarantee of a particular colour being passed on to the kids. It seems to depend on the mix of genes you get when genes are shuffled at the point of conception. There's probably a statistical likelihood that brown eyed parents will have brown eyed kids (for example) but it isn't guaranteed.

Like me, your blue eyed husband is special, but he isn't certain to have blue eyed kids.

OB

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Looking at a range of photos of eyes it seems that they vary on a continuum rather than as a set of discrete colours. Apart from the amount of melanin there are two or three other chemicals which affect colour. The type a of light, it's intensity or direction can also change the perceived colour. Even brown eyes come in two recognised variants (light and dark).

Hazel seems to be the most difficult colour to pin down because it has at least 3 colours (brown, green, amber) but may include a bit of blue.

OB

I initially thought hazel was more akin to solid amber, lol.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought this was an Old Wife's Tale but apparently it's true. Lovely blue-eyed folk (like me) have better night vision. Less melanin means more light gets in. The downside is we may be more susceptible to certain eye conditions like macular degeneration. I suppose that's the price of being beautiful. :(

OB

I've also read that blue eyes are better at dealing with the blinding snow since lighter colors bounce light off better than darker colors. I do find it interesting from an evolutionary point of view. From what I've googled scientists are not quite sure the purpose of blue eyes. It may more just be a sexual selection thing.

I do find it curious how the more north you get in Europe the higher prevalence of blue eyes you find. Wonder if this is also true for the local wild life. Of course blue eyes being a recessive thing them being cut off from darker eye populations also matter too.

I've also read some ethnic groups within china have blue eyes as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
I've also read that blue eyes are better at dealing with the blinding snow since lighter colors bounce light off better than darker colors. I do find it interesting from an evolutionary point of view. From what I've googled scientists are not quite sure the purpose of blue eyes. It may more just be a sexual selection thing.

I doubt this. I've seen suggestions that blue eyes work better in low light and less well in glare. If this is right blue eyes may be a disadvantage in glarey snow but a general advantage in a dark winter.

There are also theories about sexual selection. One study I recall showed that a blue eyed population is more likely to find brown eyed people more attractive and vice versa. The attractiveness seems to lie in being different. You can imagine the first blue-eyed people being highly desirable 5,000 to 10,000 years ago when they first occurred. (We still are. :))

Yet another proposition relates to seasonal affective disorder, a major depressive illness that occurs when there are long periods of low light. Blue eyes may be better at detecting blue light which in turn moderates circadian rhythms minimising the depressive effects of a long dark winter.

I do find it curious how the more north you get in Europe the higher prevalence of blue eyes you find. Wonder if this is also true for the local wild life. Of course blue eyes being a recessive thing them being cut off from darker eye populations also matter too.
If the 'blue eyes are better in low light' theory is true - then an increase in blue eyed people as you go north makes sense.

I've also read some ethnic groups within china have blue eyes as well.
Blue eyes can occur in lots of places. There is no fixed link, for instance, between blue eyes and light skin. People with dark skin can, and do, have blue eyes.

OB

• Informative
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I doubt this. I've seen suggestions that blue eyes work better in low light and less well in glare. If this is right blue eyes may be a disadvantage in glarey snow but a general advantage in a dark winter.

I've thought about that being a contradiction. Just wondering if the blaring glare of the sun and snow may be somewhat different. Like it's a technically different type of white light that blue is better at fending off the latter. IDK.. lol.

There are also theories about sexual selection. One study I recall showed that a blue eyed population is more likely to find brown eyed people more attractive and vice versa. The attractiveness seems to lie in being different. You can imagine the first blue-eyed people being highly desirable 5,000 to 10,000 years ago when they first occurred. (We still are. :))

Yeah, although I'd wonder why that wouldn't be more frequent in other populations. Although given the less severe UV rays, people in more northern climates might be the only ones who can realistically exploit that.

Yet another proposition relates to seasonal affective disorder, a major depressive illness that occurs when there are long periods of low light. Blue eyes may be better at detecting blue light which in turn moderates circadian rhythms minimising the depressive effects of a long dark winter.

That's pretty interesting, never heard of that theory.

Upvote 0