Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thought it was time to make an eye color thread.

The color of my eye depends on the lighting. Although for the most part I would say they are dark green. Wish they were a lighter shade of green but that is the way it goes.

Reactions: bèlla

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Thought it was time to make an eye color thread.

The color of my eye depends on the lighting. Although for the most part I would say they are dark green. Wish they were a lighter shade of green but that is the way it goes.

Did you know that blue-eyed people are special and unique? (did I mention I have lovely blue eyes?)

Read this (Blue-eyed humans have a single, common ancestor -- ScienceDaily)

New research shows that people with blue eyes have a single, common ancestor. A team at the University of Copenhagen have tracked down a genetic mutation which took place 6-10,000 years ago and is the cause of the eye colour of all blue-eyed humans alive on the planet today.

"Originally, we all had brown eyes," said Professor Hans Eiberg from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. "But a genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a "switch," which literally "turned off" the ability to produce brown eyes." The OCA2 gene codes for the so-called P protein, which is involved in the production of melanin, the pigment that gives colour to our hair, eyes and skin. The "switch," which is located in the gene adjacent to OCA2 does not, however, turn off the gene entirely, but rather limits its action to reducing the production of melanin in the iris -- effectively "diluting" brown eyes to blue. The switch's effect on OCA2 is very specific therefore. If the OCA2 gene had been completely destroyed or turned off, human beings would be without melanin in their hair, eyes or skin colour -- a condition known as albinism.
OB

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Did you know that blue-eyed people are special and unique? (did I mention I have lovely blue eyes?)

New research shows that people with blue eyes have a single, common ancestor. A team at the University of Copenhagen have tracked down a genetic mutation which took place 6-10,000 years ago and is the cause of the eye colour of all blue-eyed humans alive on the planet today.

"Originally, we all had brown eyes," said Professor Hans Eiberg from the Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine. "But a genetic mutation affecting the OCA2 gene in our chromosomes resulted in the creation of a "switch," which literally "turned off" the ability to produce brown eyes." The OCA2 gene codes for the so-called P protein, which is involved in the production of melanin, the pigment that gives colour to our hair, eyes and skin. The "switch," which is located in the gene adjacent to OCA2 does not, however, turn off the gene entirely, but rather limits its action to reducing the production of melanin in the iris -- effectively "diluting" brown eyes to blue. The switch's effect on OCA2 is very specific therefore. If the OCA2 gene had been completely destroyed or turned off, human beings would be without melanin in their hair, eyes or skin colour -- a condition known as albinism.
OB

That's interesting.

I've heard that lighter eyes can see better in dimly lit conditions and darker eyes can see better in brighter ones. I guess I'd be more intermediate.

Reactions: Job3315
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

OB

ok we’re close cousins :) I've got green eyes but my oldest son and grandson have blue eyes

Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
That's interesting.

I've heard that lighter eyes can see better in dimly lit conditions and darker eyes can see better in brighter ones. I guess I'd be more intermediate.

I thought this was an Old Wife's Tale but apparently it's true. Lovely blue-eyed folk (like me) have better night vision. Less melanin means more light gets in. The downside is we may be more susceptible to certain eye conditions like macular degeneration. I suppose that's the price of being beautiful. :(

OB

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
OK there should be a lot more brown eyes than just me and 3 others. That is a dominant gene you know. I like the fact there's a lot of blue and green here since I think other eye colors are much more intriguing than brown. But this is a little window into the fact how little areas and sub samples groups often do not reflect general population norms.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dark grey inner, rust brown outer. Kinna looks like rusty iron. :D

Edit: oh whoops! Just looked in a mirror. Had it backwards. Brown inner, grey outer!

That's an interesting combination.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Enthralling Eye Facts

World Eye Colour Distribution
  • Brown = 70% to 80%
  • Blue = 8% to 10%
  • Hazel = 5%
  • Amber = 5%
  • Green = 2%
  • Red/Violet = < 1% (Albinism)
  • Grey = < 1%
  • One of each = < 1% and some dogs
Other Fascinating Stuff
  • Babies are usually born with blue-ish eyes which may change over the first couple of years as melanin levels cut in
  • Parents' eye colour doesn't necessarily predict a child's eye colour
  • There are around 16 genes involved in determining eye colour
  • Eye colour can vary a little over a lifetime
  • The lighter a person’s eyes are, the more likely they are to be dependent on alcohol.(really)
  • According to one study the proportion of blue-eyed women with deep endometriosis was twice that of unaffected women (30% versus 15%) (Ref)
  • People with lovely blue eyes (like mine) are the best
SOURCES: (apart from the blue eyes = best people thing. I just knew that)

Eye Color Percentage for Across the Globe (healthline.com)
What are the common myths surrounding your eye colour? | Optimax
The World's Population By Eye Color - WorldAtlas (see this one for good examples of eye colours)

OB

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0