"Existing"? What do you mean??

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
My custom title ("God"? What do you mean??) points out that "God" isn´t sufficiently well defined to make the question "Does God exist?" a two value question (yes/no).
But it seems to me that there´s a similar problem with the other keyterm - "existing":
"Existing"? What do you mean??" or possibly even better: "Existing? In which way??"
Do thoughts, ideas, feelings, beliefs exist? Do objects exist? Does love exist? Do processes exist? Do relationships exist? Do movements exist? Do abstractions exist?
Typically, these questions are answered "yes" without much hesitation - even though these answers imply very different meanings of "existing", and some of these meanings would allow for "Yes, God exists" even to me as a non-believer.

victorinus

catholic
May 15, 2016
usa
✟42,422.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the word 'exist' has been corrupted -
evil does not exist just as yellow does not exist -
a yellow table does exist -
an evil person does exist -
technically nothing exists -
it is all an illusion of a non-dual nature
-but-
the illusion is real -
we are real

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh
Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
just google it
Ah, I thought you meant that the current definition is corrupted...
nouns exist -
adjectives do not -
adjectives depend on the noun -
they cannot exist by themselves
Funnily enough, when I look up the definition of the noun (existence) it is defined by reference to the adjective and the verb.
Dictionary.com
noun
the state or fact of existing; being.
continuance in being or life; life:
a struggle for existence.
mode of existing:
They were working for a better existence.
all that exists:
Existence shows a universal order.
something that exists; entity; being.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
To interject: According to Wittgenstein simplistically stated, Meaning is Use.

Thus even if someone is a non-believer but uses the term 'God', he is acknowledging existence in some form. Other terms are usually required to make clear what someone really means like actuality or such, but language can be notoriously imprecise.

Upvote 0

quatona

May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
To interject: According to Wittgenstein simplistically stated, Meaning is Use.

Thus even if someone is a non-believer but uses the term 'God', he is acknowledging existence in some form.
Indeed. That´s why I was suggesting to alter the question "Do you believe God exist?" to "In which way do you believe God exists?".

• Agree
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My custom title ("God"? What do you mean??) points out that "God" isn´t sufficiently well defined to make the question "Does God exist?" a two value question (yes/no).
But it seems to me that there´s a similar problem with the other keyterm - "existing":
"Existing"? What do you mean??" or possibly even better: "Existing? In which way??"
Do thoughts, ideas, feelings, beliefs exist? Do objects exist? Does love exist? Do processes exist? Do relationships exist? Do movements exist? Do abstractions exist?
Typically, these questions are answered "yes" without much hesitation - even though these answers imply very different meanings of "existing", and some of these meanings would allow for "Yes, God exists" even to me as a non-believer.

A very excellent and astute question showing a good understanding of the necessity of meaningful communication. I've considered the question, and the best I could answer "what is 'existence'?" is that, to affect is to exist. That which affects, exists. When it comes down to it, what exists? Consciousness exists, and, God is consciousness in the form of the whole.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
we are not here to define words
-
let the writer beware,
we will assume the dictionary definition
There is no THE dictionary definition.

If the word is precise as you claim, providing THE definition should be easy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Shakespeare said all the world's a stage and quantum physics agrees with him. Consciousness is all that exists, and I agree with the second video that theism is the only alternative to solipsism.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If a man says something and a woman doesn't hear it is he still wrong ?
Technically, you don't have to even speak to be wrong. I've had women tell me "get that look off your face".

• Haha
Reactions: Aryeh
Upvote 0