Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Anybody got an example of a doctrine authorized by Sacred Tradition that must be believed for salvation? That was the topic.
I once asked what Protestants must read that was lacking in scriptural education and couldn't get an answer.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,711.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
By what is the testing? By hearing His Word in recognition as human spirit agrees with Holy Spirit within, spiritually. Knowledge itself could never do that.
John says the way to test is to listen to the apostles. "Whoever knows God listens to us, and he who is not of God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error."

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All I am asking for is the Scriptural reference that indicates that the authority entrusted to the apostles is to be transferred to Scripture at the time of their death.
In scripture the apostles themselves speak of their authority. And His sheep know His voice and they follow Him.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
John says the way to test is to listen to the apostles. "Whoever knows God listens to us, and he who is not of God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error."
That doesnt mean to listen to the Catholic church however. It means to listen to the real apostles, who wrote the scriptures for us.

Reactions: PeaceByJesus
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sure isnt found in catholicism, so where else would we turn except to the words of the Lord Himself, and His apostles who wrote scripture?
You remind me why the oecumenical movement struggles.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,711.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
--With the household of God, just as the verse proclaims.

The church had been established by the time of the passing of the Apostles and much of the New Testament was in use, guiding the churches.
Ok, so I am a person who has a question about what Scripture means when it says we must be born again. Some read the Bible and say that's baptism. Others deny that and say that the Bible means it's to profess faith in Christ. Kind of a basic question for a beginner.

Scripture says that when we have a conflict that needs to be resolved, we take it to the church (Matthew 18:17). Where in your view of things do I go for my answer?

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The ecumenical councils of the Church are a good start
Interpretation of scripture has not changed the scriptures but those interpretations have. The relevancy is in scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,930.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What i said is true, so if what you say is also true then the truth itself is why that movement struggles.
So why do we not take John 17 more seriously?

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,711.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I asked if "anybody" has an example. There was not one given in post 302, but someone else might possibly have an answer to give.
The question was to give an example of Sacred Tradition. I responded with the examples of the interpretation that when the Scripture refers to being born again that is the Sacrament of Baptism, and the interpretation that Scripture teaches that a person can fall from grace into mortal sin. For what reason do you not consider those to be examples?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
All I am asking for is the Scriptural reference that indicates that the authority entrusted to the apostles is to be transferred to Scripture at the time of their death.
Ok, so I am a person who has a question about what Scripture means when it says we must be born again. Some read the Bible and say that's baptism. Others deny that and say that the Bible means it's to profess faith in Christ. Kind of a basic question for a beginner.

Scripture says that when we have a conflict that needs to be resolved, we take it to the church (Matthew 18:17). Where in your view of things do I go for my answer?
You have been attempting to make the Apostles and the Holy Scriptures be interchangeable. They are not. And as for this question here, you have misunderstood the meaning of the verse to have the institutional church, the local church, be possessed of some sort of infallibility.

Upvote 0

4x4toy

Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟116,025.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Who is us besides scripture ..

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,711.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Interpretation of scripture has not changed the scriptures but those interpretations have. The relevancy is in scripture.
When the apostles faced the first dispute that threatened to create schism in the church, their means for resolving that was to gather together for a council (Acts 15) to resolve the issue and deliver a decision on the matter to all the church. They created the model for the church to use to resolve threats to authentic teachings. So when Arius began to teach that Christ was not God and influencing a signifant portion of the church to follow his teaching, the Biblical model was followed, the first council of Niceae was convened, and the church issued a decision that resulted in the formal declaration of the doctrine of the Trinity.

Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟332,711.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You have been attempting to make the Apostles and the Holy Scriptures be interchangeable. They are not. And as for this question here, you have misunderstood the meaning of the verse to have the institutional church be possesse of some sort of infallibility.
I have no confusion about the difference between the apostles and the Scriptures. I'm not the one professing the apostles die and the Scriptures take their place of authority.

Where do I go for my answer regarding what it means to born again? Scripture says the church is the pillar and bulwark of the truth. Should it not have the answer?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The question was to give an example of Sacred Tradition. I responded with the examples of the interpretation that when the Scripture refers to being born again that is the Sacrament of Baptism, and the interpretation that Scripture teaches that a person can fall from grace into mortal sin. For what reason do you not consider those to be examples?
They are not dogmas, for one thing. And they are not dependent upon any "Sacred Tradition" since the answer is taken from Scripture.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where do I go for my answer regarding what it means to born again? Scripture says the church is the pillar and bulwark of the truth. Should it not have the answer?
Paul was telling timothy how they ought to act in church. He wasn't saying the church can never be wrong. Look at Galatians, Corinthians, Churches of revelation. All wrong

Upvote 0