Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
She was convicted. Any opinion I might have is not important.

The article says the parents of the young man 'knew about it'. They are certainly culpable as well. If the 13 year old had been a female and the teacher a male, the situation would almost certainly be different.

Still, one needs to have some trust in the system; it ain't over yet.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The article says the parents of the young man 'knew about it'. They are certainly culpable as well. If the 13 year old had been a female and the teacher a male, the situation would almost certainly be different.

Completely agree the situation would have been different if it was a female.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

It was my thought as well that the outcome would've been different if the teacher was male and student female...13 is pretty darn young.

That said, I don't think the sentence is necessarily that far off what it should be...provided this is a first offense and she serves most of it. If I had the authority...I'd have given her 20-25 years with the possibility of parole after maybe 10-15.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
On a less specific note, one reads of this sort of happening regularly. I am particularly speaking of adult women who seduce young men/boys. The 'reason' on the part of the women escapes me.

My first reaction was the woman involved was of the "900 pound, needing a shave" sort; this does not seem to be the case. All the women involved I have seen are reasonably attractive and the education required to become a teacher would indicate the ability to carry on a conversation and act reasonably comfortable in public.

On the other hand, I haven't interviewed any perpetrators or victims for first hand information. I flat don't know.

My considered opinion is introducing a child or near child to sexual activity with a (legally, at least) adult is likely to cause some less than desirable attitudes on the part of the young person; whether male or female, and regardless if the perpetrator is alternate or same sex as the victim.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
On a less specific note, one reads of this sort of happening regularly. I am particularly speaking of adult women who seduce young men/boys. The 'reason' on the part of the women escapes me.

My first reaction was the woman involved was of the "900 pound, needing a shave" sort; this does not seem to be the case. All the women involved I have seen are reasonably attractive and the education required to become a teacher would indicate the ability to carry on a conversation and act reasonably comfortable in public.

On the other hand, I haven't interviewed any perpetrators or victims for first hand information. I flat don't know.

My considered opinion is introducing a child or near child to sexual activity with a (legally, at least) adult is likely to cause some less than desirable attitudes on the part of the young person; whether male or female, and regardless if the perpetrator is alternate or same sex as the victim.
Contrary to popular belief, women abuse sex as much as men do, they just do it for different reasons. Women, also cheat on their spouse as much as men do, when they get out of the house and into the working world where they meet more people.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

I think you're ignoring the reasons most people sexually abuse people younger than them, it is more about the power dynamic, not because of the sex. That these women are attractive is immaterial to the fact that many of them enter into such "relationships" because it gives them access to a captive minor.

There were people on this forum who argued that a teenager was not being raped by his teacher because "that's what all teenage boys want." However, they ignored the controlling things the teacher did, like using religion to keep the boy in the relationship. I would not be surprised to see the same controlling tendencies with this woman.

It's not about sex, it's about power. If it were simply about sex, this woman could go out to any bar or club and find a man that wants to have sex with her. But she wanted something that lasted longer, something she could control, a 13-year old is the perfect victim.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think you're ignoring the reasons most people sexually abuse people younger than them, it is more about the power dynamic, not because of the sex. That these women are attractive is immaterial to the fact that many of them enter into such "relationships" because it gives the access to a captive minor.

There were on this forum that argued a teenager was not being raped by his teacher because "that's what all teenage boys want." However, they ignored the controlling things the teacher did, like use religion to keep the boy in the relationship. I would not be surprised to see the see some of those same controlling tendencies with this woman.

It's not about sex, it's about power. If it were simply about sex, this woman could go out to any bar or club and find a man that wants to have sex with her. But she wanted something that lasted longer, something she could control, a 13-year old is the perfect victim.
And attractive women know they have more power to use sex as a weapon, for obvious reasons.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Contrary to popular belief, women abuse sex as much as men do, they just do it for different reasons. Women, also cheat on their spouse as much as men do, when they get out of the house and into the working world where they meet more people.
I'm not convinced the reasons are all so different. Perhaps the 'trigger events' are different, but the hunger to be wanted, admired and appreciated is the same.

There's an old gag about this: Do you know the difference in a divorce between the man cheating or the woman cheating?

When a man is found cheating, the wife gets the house.
When a woman is found cheating, the wife gets the house.

:rimshot!:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think you're ignoring the reasons most people sexually abuse people younger than them, it is more about the power dynamic, not because of the sex.
You are probably right and for some reason that skipped out of my head.

SummerMadness said:
There were people on this forum who argued that a teenager was not being raped by his teacher because "that's what all teenage boys want."
I have seen that argument about "that's what all teenage boys want." However, just because the victim 'wants' something at the time, does not mean it's not harmful. At least in the sense of twisting the victim's outlook.

Three and four year olds want candy all the time, too. To provide candy without limit is irresponsible.

Upvote 0