Texas attorney gets 180 days for slipping abortion pills into his estranged wife's drinks

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Attorney who secretly slipped abortion pills in wife’s drink 7 times because pregnancy would ‘ruin his plans’ sentenced to 6 months

A 39-year-old attorney in Texas will spend less than six months behind bars after admitting to sneaking abortion-inducing drugs into his soon-to-be ex-wife’s beverages for weeks after learning about her pregnancy.

Mason Herring had previously pleaded guilty to one count of assault of a pregnant person and one count of injury to a child under age 15. In exchange for his plea, prosecutors with the Harris County District Attorney’s Office dismissed one count of assault — forcing an individual to have an abortion.

[I guess it's fortunate for him that this was before the Dobbs decision.]

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Good. He belongs jail. 180 days is not long enough.
Within the legal framework and social precedents that have been set surrounding abortions and abortion medication, not sure how they could justify increasing that sentence.

Given that an argument has been made that it's not a person if it's not outside the womb, I don't see a progressive argument for increasing the sentence beyond what a person would get for drugging someone else without intent to harm.

If the law office website out of Texas I'm reading is accurate, if a person drugs another person with intent to harm (or commit sexual assault against) another person, it caries a sentence of 5 years and up to a $10,000 fine.

In this case, the "target of harm" was a fetus, and since an argument has been made that "a fetus is not a person", there wouldn't really be a morally consistent argument in which a progressive could demand a stiffer sentence.

Not saying you're progressive here...just pointing out the reason why you likely won't hear any progressives suggesting that he should've been tried for attempted murder vs. the charges he got.

While I'm by no means what people would call a "pro-lifer", (I have a somewhat nuanced view on the topic)... situations like this highlight the reality that, in the quest for certain rights, people have artificially downplayed the gravity of certain things (to make their case for the policy they want) to the point where moral clarity is lacking in certain situations, and thereby, painted themselves in a corner.

Obviously for anyone looking at a situation objectively, if a man punched his six months pregnant wife in the stomach and she lost the pregnancy as a result, we all know that's an even more grizzly scenario than if she were not pregnant (though both are still terrible), but one can't really make an argument that the former is that much worse if they've just gotten done spending the last two years insisting that it's "just a fetus/clump of cells".

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,234.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Within the legal framework and social precedents that have been set surrounding abortions and abortion medication, not sure how they could justify increasing that sentence.

Given that an argument has been made that it's not a person if it's not outside the womb, I don't see a progressive argument for increasing the sentence beyond what a person would get for drugging someone else without intent to harm.

If the law office website out of Texas I'm reading is accurate, if a person drugs another person with intent to harm (or commit sexual assault against) another person, it caries a sentence of 5 years and up to a $10,000 fine.

In this case, the "target of harm" was a fetus, and since an argument has been made that "a fetus is not a person", there wouldn't really be a morally consistent argument in which a progressive could demand a stiffer sentence.

Not saying you're progressive here...just pointing out the reason why you likely won't hear any progressives suggesting that he should've been tried for attempted murder vs. the charges he got.

While I'm by no means what people would call a "pro-lifer", (I have a somewhat nuanced view on the topic)... situations like this highlight the reality that, in the quest for certain rights, people have artificially downplayed the gravity of certain things (to make their case for the policy they want) to the point where moral clarity is lacking in certain situations, and thereby, painted themselves in a corner.

Obviously for anyone looking at a situation objectively, if a man punched his six months pregnant wife in the stomach and she lost the pregnancy as a result, we all know that's an even more grizzly scenario than if she were not pregnant (though both are still terrible), but one can't really make an argument that the former is that much worse if they've just gotten done spending the last two years insisting that it's "just a fetus/clump of cells".
Why is it up to you to say the fetus is not a person? Some conservative states say otherwise.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is it up to you to say the fetus is not a person? Some conservative states say otherwise.
I'm not the one saying that, I was merely pointing out the social precedent that's been set.

What I was commenting on is social climate that's caused people to paint themselves into a corner that ends up making it difficult to push for a stiffer sentence while maintaining their position.

Take this analogy for example:

If Tom Smith has taken the stance "there's nothing wrong with drinking and driving, it's a personal choice"
And his opponent, Bill Jones, has taken the stance that "we, the pro-temperance movement, don't think people should be drinking at all"

If a situation arises where another person from the pro-temperance movement secretly went out and drank and crashed his car into someone...

Tom Smith has no basis pushing for a stiffer sentence, because he's been saying it's no big deal...
Bill Jones isn't going to push for a stiffer sentence, because he doesn't even want any attention on the case because it would highlight the fact that there's hypocrites among his ideological peer group...

Last edited:
Upvote 0