EWTN's "mysterious liturgy"

Status
Not open for further replies.

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I absolutely love The New Liturgical Movement.

Fr. Larson is beginning to realize that the Church is getting back to its Catholic roots, and is getting nervous.

I expect to see that there will be more attacks on those who have a love for Catholic tradition as the reform picks up more momentum.

Upvote 0
N

NuncDimittis

I absolutely love The New Liturgical Movement.

Fr. Larson is beginning to realize that the Church is getting back to its Catholic roots, and is getting nervous.

I expect to see that there will be more attacks on those who have a love for Catholic tradition as the reform picks up more momentum.

Fr. Larson is figuring out that there is really no where for him to go. Many Episcopal parish liturgies are probably way to to formal for him as well. Perhaps if he is unhappy he could try the Lutherans? Their service is very similar to the "relaxed" style of the Novus Ordo that he seems to prefer.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well being in Spokane diocese, I can imagine that Fr. Larson's views are probably shared by many priests even though he's in Seattle.

I must admit that in watching the EWTN Masses, I also feel them a bit somber and lacking in joy. I'm not concerned about women not being part of the liturgy and such, but I don't see these Masses as something I would enjoy. I would like a high, Latin Mass, however.:clap:

Upvote 0

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree that on EWTN the priests do not radiate joy in celebrating Mass (I'm not talking about a theatrical joy, just a simple natural joy at experiencing the most awesome thing on earth) and their Sacred Music drags just a little bit, however I do not see that as the main point of his article, nor is it the proper forum to constructively criticize EWTN.

It is quite clear to me that the motive of this priest is not to build up EWTN and inspire them to improve their televised Liturgy, but rather to tear down that which is good and faithful.

Upvote 0

PassthePeace1

CARO CARDO SALUTIS
Jun 6, 2005
✟24,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

A quote from his article:

“As for the growing similarity among the Eucharistic celebrations of Catholics and Protestants, we should rejoice that Catholics now feel at home at Lutheran, Methodist, and Episcopalian worship, and that our Protestant neighbors have gained much through our process of renewal and reform. The Catholic form of worship remains a strong motivation for conversion among adults. As we have known all along, God works powerfully through the words and gestures of the liturgy; the hard work of renewal has served to make God’s work plain and public each Sunday when we gather as ‘church.’”

:eek:

I love EWTN's Mass, and often feel, like I am in more participation, at home in front of the TV, than at my own local parish. Sad, but true. :sigh: Because, EWTN's Mass, draws me more vertically, than the horizontal atmosphere, of my local parish.

My priest, also made mention, to my husband the other day, that although it is not official yet, to expect some changes in the Mass. The only change he mentioned was, the Kiss of Peace, being moved to the beginning of Mass. Has anyone else heard anything about this, from there local parish?

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm of mixed opinion on the EWTN Masses. Sometimes I like them...sometimes I don't. Frankly, it combines the execrable parts of the NO with some of the more boring aspects of TLM. Fusing the traditional bits with the NO is likely more difficult than imagined. As for the blog above...interesting read but it really doesn't rise above boilerplate that I've read 1,000 times before.

Frankly, I find the whole group rosary bit shown on EWTN a bit eerie and far more of an interesting discussion than the EWTN Mass. I don't find it particularly contemplative or, frankly, edifying. Particularly since half of the sisters seem to be going through the motions.

Upvote 0

isshinwhat

Pro Deo et Patria
Apr 12, 2002
Visit site
✟13,555.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Father had his 25th anniversary Mass at the Shrine with a Rosary following and it was nothing short of Angelic. I was moved to tears several times. I pity the poor priest who believes he can glein enough insight towards an entire group of religious to write an article condemning them and their Mass from watching it on TV. I pray for the conversion of his soul.

Upvote 0

benedictine

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Frankly, I find the whole group rosary bit shown on EWTN a bit eerie and far more of an interesting discussion than the EWTN Mass. I don't find it particularly contemplative or, frankly, edifying. Particularly since half of the sisters seem to be going through the motions.

I don't listen to that. That does seem repittitious. I say my own rosary, though, and don't get tired of it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

There used to be a Scriptural Rosary, an International Rosary, and a Holy Land Rosary back when there were only three mysteries of the Rosary. IMO the Scriptural and the Holy Land Rosaries were very edifying indeed (appropriate Scripture or video of Holy places at each bead). I suppose those now have to be remade to include the Luminous Mysteries and that's the reason they are no longer aired. And I expect that after Mother Angelica had her stroke (and was no longer able to do her live show) the viewers still clambored for an opportunity to see how she was doing (and considering her speech problems after the stroke, it is amazing that she is able to pray the Rosary with the sisters.)

However that's not what the article was about. IMO Father Larson was just trying to spread his dislike of the EWTN reverent Mass. Frankly, I like the EWTN Mass. Much better than the weekly Mass or Prayer Service of my parish. Watch it on TV AND listen to it on the radio. I particularly like the homilies in addition to the fact that the EWTN Mass is faithful to the rubrics.

Upvote 0

benedictine

Nov 1, 2003
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I'm brining this thread back up to ask a question or two.

The EWTN mass is the conventual Mass of the Friars, right? If so, wouldn't that be a satisfactory reply to objections about little laity (men and women) involvement?

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The EWTN mass is the conventual Mass of the Friars, right? If so, wouldn't that be a satisfactory reply to objections about little laity (men and women) involvement?

Back when I wrote EWTN to ask them a question about their Mass, that's the answer I received. (Don't remember the question now but it might be related to the nuns' move to Hanceville). Hmmm--but now that I think of it, since the nuns are no longer there, and there is still a televised celebration of the Mass, is it still considered a conventual Mass?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.