The Wild West
✟478,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Ok, so here is a beautiful hierarchical divine liturgy , or rather, a Patriarchal Divine Liturgy, albeit basically the same thing, from the Church of Finland:

Last edited:
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟478,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Speaking of beautiful voices, I always loved the rich singing voice of Metropolitan Philip Saliba, memory eternal, and this Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in Tulsa has some particularly stunning music in the four part harmony tradition (I have a soft spot for Greek, Antiochian and Romanian four part harmony as compared to Byzantine Chant it is kind of the underdog; even this service is preceded by Matins in Byzantine Chant. But regardless of which style one prefers, the main take away from this service is the stunningly beautiful singing voice of Metropolitan Philip Saliba, memory eternal. This hierarchical liturgy was also filmed in a happier time before the devastation in Syria, and His Beatitude Patriarch Ignatius IV and his close ecumenical partner Patriarch Ignatius Zakka Iwas, were both still alive (I believe the stress from the aftermath of the Arab Spring led to the premature death of all these hierarchs, as well as Catholicos-Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV, Pope Shenouda of Antioch, and several others, may their memory be eternal. And we also still tragically have no idea what happened to Metropolitan Peter Yazigi and Archbishop Gregorios of Aleppo).

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
(I believe the stress from the aftermath of the Arab Spring led to the premature death of all these hierarchs, as well as Catholicos-Patriarch Mar Dinkha IV, Pope Shenouda of Antioch, and several others, may their memory be eternal. And we also still tragically have no idea what happened to Metropolitan Peter Yazigi and Archbishop Gregorios of Aleppo).

indeed, memory eternal and Lord have mercy!

• Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟478,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
indeed, memory eternal and Lord have mercy!

Indeed, kyrie eleison and memory eternal. It is so sad what has happened to the Church in Iraq and Syria, and in Egypt with the horrible terror attacks, amd in Ethiopia, and especially Eritrea. While the Copts represent about 10% of the Egyptian populace, there are only around 100,000 or so Alexandrian Greeks, and fortunately they do enjoy an extremely close relationship with the Copts which is beneficial, but I think the Alexandrian Greeks are one of the more at-risk ethnic minorities, particularly if an Islamist government appeared and a situation equivalent to what happened to the Pontic Greeks and the Greeks of the greater Constantinopolitan area, which is to say, ethnic cleansing and forced evacuation to Greece or Cyprus, which would be as disastrous as what happened in Turkey, given the distinct culture, dialect and other unique attributes of the descendants of the generations from which hailed the likes of St. Athanasius and St. Cyril.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Indeed, kyrie eleison and memory eternal. It is so sad what has happened to the Church in Iraq and Syria, and in Egypt with the horrible terror attacks, amd in Ethiopia, and especially Eritrea. While the Copts represent about 10% of the Egyptian populace, there are only around 100,000 or so Alexandrian Greeks, and fortunately they do enjoy an extremely close relationship with the Copts which is beneficial, but I think the Alexandrian Greeks are one of the more at-risk ethnic minorities, particularly if an Islamist government appeared and a situation equivalent to what happened to the Pontic Greeks and the Greeks of the greater Constantinopolitan area, which is to say, ethnic cleansing and forced evacuation to Greece or Cyprus, which would be as disastrous as what happened in Turkey, given the distinct culture, dialect and other unique attributes of the descendants of the generations from which hailed the likes of St. Athanasius and St. Cyril.

Lord have mercy

• Friendly
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,024,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
especially when the bishop serves as a bishop and not as a priest.
I have to say though, it is special to see the bishop serve in divine liturgy and vespers as a priest as well.

Hierarchical liturgies are beautiful though!

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have to say though, it is special to see the bishop serve in divine liturgy and vespers as a priest as well.

Hierarchical liturgies are beautiful though!

they’re all great

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Here is a beautiful and more recent liturgy for the Sunday of Orthodoxy last Lent, at St. Tikhon’s Monastery.

that’s where I saw (and served in) most of the ones I have seen

• Winner
Upvote 0