• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Evolution, why so many believe?

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Criosdaidhlaoch, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Criosdaidhlaoch

Criosdaidhlaoch New Member

+0
    If you have a problem with arguements that aren't in favor of the evolutionary urban myth then why would you hang around a Christian message board? I guess "sciencetist" and common sense doesn't go hand in hand? ;) Didn't you say you were a "scientist"?

2. troodon

troodon Be wise and be smart

+51
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Umm, in case you were wondering (and you obviously aren't), animal populations do not grow exponentially like this. That is only in humans because we have found ways to circumvent the problem of limited food (domestication and agriculture). Animal populations are almost always relatively stable.

Regardless, your argument about not finding transitions does nothing but display your ignorance about the rarity of the fossilization process. We have 200 dinosaur species spanning 7 sub-classes and 170 million years; we have more than enough transitions given that situation.

3. Steve_Graham

Steve_Graham New Member

+0
    Last time I checked this was a Christian Forum. Anyway, the bible doesn't give every detail of how it all started--just a summary. God has given man enough information that is required for us to understand how we came to be.

To be frank with you, I don't have enough faith to believe evolution, but I have enough evidence to believe in God.

4. Pete Harcoff

Pete Harcoff PeteAce - In memory of WinAce

+43
    Other Religion
    Because you are using strawman arguments. In other words, you are creating caricatures of evolutionary theory that don't accurately reflect that theory. Then, you claim claim victory over your strawman caricatures, while the real theory of evolution remains untouched.

Let's address one of your strawman arguments. You claimed mutations are neutral or harmful. In light of this, I would like you to explain antibiotic resistance to me.

5. Jet Black

Jet Black Guest

+0
    last time I checked, this was the open discussions area.

6. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Well-Known Member

+103
    Christian
    The old evolution is a religion idea. It's like a frikkin army of strawmen.

7. Criosdaidhlaoch

+0
    "we have more than enough transitions given that situation."

Tee hee yea. Why don't you show me one of these transition fossils. Oh and sorry I forgot that anybody who doesn't agree with you isn't interested in learning. What are you in the 3rd grade?

8. ThePhoenix

ThePhoenix Well-Known Member

+103
    Christian
    The old evolution is a religion idea. It's like a frikkin army of strawmen. Hey steve, here's an idea: run a google search on evolution, and start reading.

9. Jet Black

Jet Black Guest

+0
    o hI have no problem with arguments that aren't in favour of evolution. however all yours aren't, they are strawmen.

10. Criosdaidhlaoch

+0
    "You claimed mutations are neutral or harmful. In light of this, I would like you to explain antibiotic resistance to me."

Ok. But first you gotta agree to explain to me how antibodic resistance is going to cause bacteria to eventually sprout legs or wings, or two working eyeballs, etc. Deal?

11. Jet Black

Jet Black Guest

+0
    why would we want to defend your strawman?

12. Pete Harcoff

+43
    Other Religion
    I am giving you the benefit of the doubt here. Put down your strawman caricature and let's discuss mutations.

In light of no positive mutations (which you claimed), I would like you to explain antibiotic resistance.

13. Jet Black

Jet Black Guest

+0
    that is a fallacy of distraction by the way.

14. Criosdaidhlaoch

+0
    Ok here goes pumpkin, put your learning hat on:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/795_antibio.html

"When a person takes an antibiotic, the drug kills the defenseless bacteria, leaving behind--or "selecting," in biological terms--those that can resist it"

Uh notice what it says there? The strongest, the bacteria already immune to the antibiotic survive. That doesn't mean jack for evolution, thats natural selection. That Robot Wars show on the comedy channel is as much support for evolution as antibiotic immunity is.

"The antibiotic does not technically cause the resistance, but allows it to happen by creating a situation where an already existing variant can flourish"

Uh exaclty. I'm 6'3', 265 lbs. Its a pretty safe assumption that I'm bigger than you. If me and you are the only people in a room, then a burglar who's bigger than you breaks in and kills you, but can't kill me, guess who's going to be left? ME.

Thats not evolution slick. ;)

15. Steve_Graham

Steve_Graham New Member

+0
    It is an open discussion. However, why do you hang out here? Do you feel that you will change someone's mind about evolution? If so, it sounds like Satan to me. He's good at that--deception. Rememeber what he said to Eve, Surely ye shall not die? That was his first of many lies to the human race.

16. troodon

troodon Be wise and be smart

+51
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Dino-Bird transitions:

Specimen #1
    Specimen #2
    Specimen #3
    Specimen #4
    Specimen #5
    Specimen #6
    Specimen #7
    Specimen #8
    Specimen #9
    Specimen #10
    Specimen #11
    Specimen #12
    Specimen #13
    Specimen #14

can you tell me which are birds and which are dinosaurs?

The extreme volume of ignorance displayed in your little population growth model showed me quite well that you have done very little learning over the course of your life; at least with regards to biology.

Nope

17. Jet Black

Jet Black Guest

+0
    sorry, what does evolution have to do with satan? are you going to tell me that evolution is atheistic?

18. Pete Harcoff

+43
    Other Religion
    And where did this immunity to antibiotics come from? Why are some bacteria immune and some aren't? Why does this variability exist in bacteria populations?

19. Arikay

Arikay HI

+172
    Taoist
    Anyone else thinking DNFTTs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.