✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
??
But they can reproduce if they choose to and heterosexual people may choose not to reproduce.
I don't think you thought this idea through very well.
It takes a man and woman to reproduce.

How exactly can a homosexual couple reproduce?

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We're all (including you) mutants.
Yeah right, and I'm Wolverine.

I don't need a fork...I eat with my hands.
s-l300.jpg

We each carry our own little collection of mutations. Some have been (or will be) passed on to our children - some will not.
Carrying a collection of mutations does not make us mutants, just as micro evolution is not macro evolution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
To be useful, an evolutionary trait doesn't need to be necessary. It only has to confer a reproductive advantage (i.e., result in more viable offspring) on the population as a whole.
Well that disqualifies homosexuality.
It's rare for a single change to be the sole means of preventing a population from going extinct. Any given animal or plant is a large collection of evolutionary advantages.

Some mutations are neutral. They are neither advantageous nor disadvantageous and may spread through a population randomly (its a statistical thing) or be dragged along as a secondary characteristic of an advantageous change.

Does evolution produce what is unnecessary?

The answer is a qualified "Yes".
Is homosexuality a part of our biological evolution? And if it is, would it not be caused by environmental pressures and adaptation to those pressures?

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is anything? Different traits have different, sometime antagonistic effects on fitness. Male genes try for bigger babies because they are more likely to survive. Female genes push for smaller babies because they are easier to give birth to, and the woman more likely to survive to have more babies. We can look back and explain what is. We cannot work out what could have been or even more what should have been.
I don't see how homosexuality has any benefit to a population's survival.
In fact, an argument can be made that it is a threat to survival since it does not reproduce.
I think having wings and being able to soar like an eagle would have improved our population. Evolution disagrees.
Or maybe it's a work in progress. If dinosaurs can grow wings, why can't we. :)
Depends on your definition of unnecessary.

Here's a good article on the Russian guy that bred domesticated foxes:

Why domesticated foxes are genetically fascinating (and terrible pets)

most relevantly:

"One of the lab’s most interesting findings is that the friendly foxes exhibit physical traits not seen in the wild, such as spots in their fur and curled tails. Their ears show weird traits, too."

These kinds of passenger traits exist in the wild as well. Are they necessary? I'd argue not.
The foxes might disagree.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Homosexuality disproves evolution.
Evolution is about adapting to survive and reproduce.
Homosexuality does not reproduce.
Therefore homosexuality falsifies evolution.

My brother is gay.

I’m not.

Neither of my parents are.

I think I see a problem in your thinking.

• Agree
Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Yeah right, and I'm Wolverine.
Carrying a collection of mutations does not make us mutants, just as micro evolution is not macro evolution.

With an avatar like Doveaman I should have guessed that your version of 'mutant' would be something out of a 1950s B movie.:)

Every cell in your body carries the DNA sequence that makes you what you are. Your cells are constantly reproducing, and in the process, copying and recopying this DNA sequence. Occasionally the process goes slightly wrong (chemistry ain't perfect) and the DNA sequence gets accidentally changed. At the same time external factors like subatomic particles flying through your body or virus' will interact with a cell's DNA and change the sequence.

Sometimes whole sequences of DNA are inserted or deleted or transposed.

Where a change affects the DNA of a sex cell (think sperm or egg) this change can be passed on to offspring in the parental DNA shuffle which takes place when we reproduce. In this way a mutation which existed in one cell in the parent becomes part of all of the cells of the child as the original cell reproduces.

In a sense you're right - there's no such thing as a 'mutant' - but we all carry mutations which we can, potentially, pass on to our kids.
OB

• Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You didn't say reproduce together. What's that got to do with evolution?

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how homosexuality has any benefit to a population's survival.

Sure, but just because you are incredulous about it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Your low credulity threshold is not a yardstick by which we measure reality, and why would I listen to anyone with no training, education or experience in any of the biological sciences tell me what evolution is or is not?

There's quite alot of evidence now that the genetic component of male homosexuality leads to increased fecundity in females. Here's one such

Fecundity of Paternal and Maternal Non-Parental Female Relatives of Homosexual and Heterosexual Men

In fact, an argument can be made that it is a threat to survival since it does not reproduce.

An argument easily refuted by the evidence I gave above, which included the non reproductivity in its model

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Which proves my point, they do not reproduce.

Point denied. My cousin and her spouse had two boys, now in college.
Proof dissolved.

A friend of mine had children with her husband, then one with a woman, then adopted 4 more. In what world do you live in that blended families are not good for the species? Not in my world. Your point is devolved.

• Agree
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God didn't create mutants.

Wrong on so many fronts. Your god is really that tiny you won't give Him full credit for His works?

Your going to stick with mutations as not part of God's plan?
Ridiculous.

collage-diversity.jpg

wheelchairsofhope-guatemala-768x432.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟274,976.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Human groups with homosexuals in them exhibit notably higher reproductive success over the whole population. Generally speaking, the presence of nurturing but non-reproductive individuals in the population provides a greater level of resources for those who do reproduce. Thus, the presence of homosexuals in a population leads to higher birth rates overall AND lower child mortality rates.

All of this information is available with basic web browsing skills and 30 minutes of reading time.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟930,398.00
Faith
Atheist
With an avatar like Doveaman I should have guessed that your version of 'mutant' would be something out of a 1950s B movie.:)
With homoerotic overtones. Quite a codpiece on that costume.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟988,187.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
With homoerotic overtones. Quite a codpiece on that costume.

Agreed. Another genitally fixated super hero wannabee with a bulging muscle fetish and a habit of wearing his undies on the outside. :)

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟924,291.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Homosexuality disproves evolution.
Evolution is about adapting to survive and reproduce.
Homosexuality does not reproduce.
Therefore homosexuality falsifies evolution.
There's also a possibility that homosexuality isn't a genetic trait, but a developmental one.

There is a statistical connection between the number of older maternal brothers you have and the chances of being homosexual.

This could still be a genetic trait that makes women especially fertile, and sometimes makes men homosexual. But it could be a consequence of the hormonal changes that women go through multiple pregnancies.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's interesting. I'm convinced more and more that a gay lifestyle and the urges that come along with it are the result of little boys' and girls' confusion at a certain age about their identities and events of abuse and mistreatment then.
What exactly is a gay lifestyle? Some people use this expression as if it means something.

And there is no connection between being a victim of pedophilia and then being gay.

In fact, there's no connection between the two at all, as you are trying helplessly to do.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I wasn't aware there were homosexual animals.
There's a book on homosexual animals too? o_O
Yep.

There seems to be a lot you're unaware of regarding both homosexuality AND evolution.

Farmers know about the "dud stud" phenomenon: male farm animals who show no interest in mating with females, but great interest in mounting other males, about 11%, I believe. This corresponds to the infamous Kinsey statistic of 10%.

Mynahs in the wild, who mate for life, frequently form same-sex pairs. I admit this could be a survival strategy rather than homoemotional bonding.

Upvote 0