Berlin
✟72,332.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that if a person has no truth or believes a mix of lies and truth, then those things are worthless.
While any lie believed may be of some harm, it doesn't follow that then everything else is worthless.

Look at John 1:45: Philipp tells an error, Jesus is not the son of Joseph, but conceived by the Holy Spirit. Yet he persuades Nathanael to come to Jesus. Worthless?

Or take Paul: For some time he took it for virtually granted that he would live to see Jesus returning (see 1.Thess 4:15). Were all his gifts without worth at that time, and got only worth when he acquired a more realistic stance (e.g. in 2.Tim)?

I suppose every church has some errors it regards as truth. And probably every Christian, including you and me. We need another to correct us, encourage us (i.e. correction should not read as a rebuking).

Clinging to an error that is known to be wrong is, of course, very harmful.

You mentioned that you think the usual explanations of this parable are wrong because experience told you so. Can you explain what kind of experience this was? You need not tell every detail, but please say enough to understand how you came to this conclusion.

• Useful
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
While any lie believed may be of some harm, it doesn't follow that then everything else is worthless.

Look at John 1:45: Philipp tells an error, Jesus is not the son of Joseph, but conceived by the Holy Spirit. Yet he persuades Nathanael to come to Jesus. Worthless?

Or take Paul: For some time he took it for virtually granted that he would live to see Jesus returning (see 1.Thess 4:15). Were all his gifts without worth at that time, and got only worth when he acquired a more realistic stance (e.g. in 2.Tim)?

I suppose every church has some errors it regards as truth. And probably every Christian, including you and me. We need another to correct us, encourage us (i.e. correction should not read as a rebuking).

Clinging to an error that is known to be wrong is, of course, very harmful.

You mentioned that you think the usual explanations of this parable are wrong because experience told you so. Can you explain what kind of experience this was? You need not tell every detail, but please say enough to understand how you came to this conclusion.

Paul also said that prophecies aren't as useful as love.

...And in other parts of the Bible, love can only measured by the Truth. So....He's good!

The Truth is more about the ways to live and what's right from wrong, how our world works. It is less about historical or prophetic accuracy.

A missed prophecy won't turn anyone evil, is it?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
and what's more, you are not going to belong to a church because they are all wrong about this.

Of course, one mistake/misinterpretation is forgivable.

A few more is okay....But if a church is half misinterpretation in its teachings, that's really bad and I would rather not got to church.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟367,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom

A few more is okay....But if a church is half misinterpretation in its teachings, that's really bad and I would rather not got to church.

Fortunately, however, there are multitudes of churches which hold firmly to the truths of the Bible such that when I find myself seeing things differently on a minor point, I defer to position of the church and question my own interpretation, even though I might personally think it is fantastic.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,187.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul also said that prophecies aren't as useful as love.

...And in other parts of the Bible, love can only measured by the Truth. So....He's good!

The Truth is more about the ways to live and what's right from wrong, how our world works. It is less about historical or prophetic accuracy.

A missed prophecy won't turn anyone evil, is it?
Where do you find in the Bible “love can only measured by the Truth”?

As we get older, we start losing some of our memory and knowledge of even the truth, so does that mean those people who loss their memory is not going to be cast out?

Godly type Love can grow through loss of memory, loss of knowledge and loss of everything else, so we can experience an old person’s Love for God and others to help build our Love.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
As we get older, we start losing some of our memory and knowledge of even the truth, so does that mean those people who loss their memory is not going to be cast out?

Loss of memory with age does not cover all people at all times. I am 76 and my memory is not suffering in the least, I fact I would confidently say that my ability to discern the truth has been enhanced by age. Some call this wisdom.

Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It probably wouldn't matter as they also have a different interpretation of the Parable of the Talents.

An interpretation that I don't agree with.

So far, I haven't been to a church who explained it in the way I did.
So you're not attending any church at this time?

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Godly type Love can grow through loss of memory, loss of knowledge and loss of everything else, so we can experience an old person’s Love for God and others to help build our Love.

The only reason one loses knowledge of certain things is lack of practice/application.

Knowledge >> practice >> way of life >> then becomes nature and instinct.

I knew someone who died of brain cancer at an old age. They may have forgotten a lot of things, and lost many abilities but their nature and instincts from a lifetime of practice held on to the last breath.

You can't love without the truth. Even good intentions can kill due to ignorance. You cannot love the Lord if your idea of pleasing Him isn't the thing He looks for.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,187.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Loss of memory with age does not cover all people at all times. I am 76 and my memory is not suffering in the least, I fact I would confidently say that my ability to discern the truth has been enhanced by age. Some call this wisdom.
So those who did loss their memory were not using it properly and it was taken from them?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,187.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The only reason one loses knowledge of certain things is lack of practice/application.

Knowledge >> practice >> way of life >> then becomes nature and instinct.

I knew someone who died of brain cancer at an old age. They may have forgotten a lot of things, and lost many abilities but their nature and instincts from a lifetime of practice held on to the last breath.

You can't love without the truth. Even good intentions can kill due to ignorance. You cannot love the Lord if your idea of pleasing Him isn't the thing He looks for.
Again, with your understanding, anyone who lost just some of their understanding of the truth, show they are not using it properly and it was taken away, while losing your Love would be a sign of a problem in my thinking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
So you're not attending any church at this time?

No permanent church, I keep scouting for good ones. So I still go to church every Sunday, just not with the same church every time.

Being wrong in this parable is forgivable though. A few wrongs isn't bad. Just as long as the church is humble enough to consider the possibility they are wrong (if they are indeed wrong), spend time to investigate thoroughly, and correct their ways.

Because a church unable to consider the possibility they are wrong is a church corrupted by pride. There are many Christian churches like this.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Again, with your understanding, anyone who lost just some of their understanding of the truth, show they are not using it properly and it was taken away, while losing your Love would be a sign of a problem in my thinking.

Obviously, there are exceptional cases like trauma, progresssive brain disease, etc where it's likely not your fault.

It still doesn't change the fact, you can't truly love anything outside of the Truth.

Many Christians are only taking the ways of this world for truth, the ways of this world to love....When the world is basically ruled by the devil, the father of lies - 1 John 5:19, John 7:7, and Ephesians 6:12.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Being wrong in this parable is forgivable though. A few wrongs isn't bad. Just as long as the church is humble enough to consider the possibility they are wrong (if they are indeed wrong), spend time to investigate thoroughly, and correct their ways.

Because a church unable to consider the possibility they are wrong is a church corrupted by pride. There are many Christian churches like this.
That goes both ways...

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,187.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Obviously, there are exceptional cases like trauma, progresssive brain disease, etc where it's likely not your fault.

It still doesn't change the fact, you can't truly love anything outside of the Truth.

Many Christians are only taking the ways of this world for truth, the ways of this world to love....When the world is basically ruled by the devil, the father of lies - 1 John 5:19, John 7:7, and Ephesians 6:12.
Bottom line:
If you say the talents = truth and you agree it can go away through no fault of the person than the parable is not true each time, every time and all the time.
But if the talents = Godly type Love, the only way that can go away would be the fault of the person, it always grows with use, it never fails, and it is in proportion to the faith (ability) of the person.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,241.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That's what I'm asking - who's to say that you are right in your interpretation and the whole church is wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,241.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are you humble enough to consider that you may be wrong though; that is the question.

• Agree
Reactions: helmut
Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
So those who did loss their memory were not using it properly and it was taken from them?

Memory loss can have a number of causes, brain injury and dementia to name two. I don't think that they have anything to do with "using the brain properly".

• Agree
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Bottom line:
If you say the talents = truth and you agree it can go away through no fault of the person than the parable is not true each time, every time and all the time.

You forgot about the soul of the person, it doesn't really go away.

It sticks with you!:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Are you humble enough to consider that you may be wrong though; that is the question.

Yup, it wouldn't be the first time I accepted being wrong on a subject and changed my belief accordingly!

As years go by, we gain more knowledge and must be open to correction if our former beliefs no longer stand against scrutiny.

I used to believe the more popular interpretations of the Parable of Talents until studying Matthew 13 lately, I then realized, it stood to much greater scrutiny than the other interpretations.

The other things have no purpose and are meaningless outside of the knowledge of Truth... Why is this so important? Because we live in world ruled by the devil, the father of lies. Apart from the Truth, the ways we live are of the devil. The "western" idea of "love" is rapidly depleting our resources. A lot of Chrisitians love money but because they have no idea what the Bible is saying about it.

Ignorance is how we do things that the Lord hates!

Upvote 0