Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
not only are we obligated to meet with our fellow believers but we are obligated to be under the authority of elders. Paul elected elders for all the churches and commissioned timothy and titus as pastors of churches. there's also preaching to be done by an ordained minister as well as the administration of the sacraments.

there would be no reason for any of this if the assembly of the saints in a church congregation was just an optional thing we could do when we felt like it.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Can I attend church 2 times per month?
And I am not able to give tithe offering,
probably 5% only I can give.

you don't have to give a tenth of your income(which is what the word "tithe" is). the rule is to give whatever you deem to be suitable with the understanding that if you're gonna be tight fisted with God He will be tight fisted with you as well as the opposite in being generous. the goal is to cultivate a heart that desires to give(2 Corinthians 9).

Upvote 0

ub4me

Senior Veteran
Feb 16, 2005
USA
✟20,873.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Church is not a building. Though we shouldn't forsake the assembling of ourselves together.
There will be Christians in Heaven that have never stepped foot in side 'The Church' building
That being said it is edifying, it strengthens our faith, and we learn the Word of God. There is also great joy in United worship, praise goes up blessings go down. We are stronger together. ( using it for God)

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Every Sunday must go to church?
A Christian's obligation?

Believers are to be in regular fellowship/koinonia...some churches where I live meet together
2-3 times a week. In this day an age it is needed because persecution is coming and the church--body
of believers need to be equipped so they can stand firm.
We need to be linked up like those giant redwood trees...their roots go deep and run out like a hundred feet
and they link up with one another so they can withstand what comes against them.
We believers need to be linked up like those redwood trees.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can I attend church 2 times per month?
Yes.

And I am not able to give tithe offering,
probably 5% only I can give.
If 5% is your limit, then it is. But be aware that tithing has not been a requirement since the start of Christ's church.

You should support the church, but tithing was an Old Testament Jewish obligation that supported the priestly class. As Christians we are not required to tithe, although some churches have made it a requirement on their own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bsign24

Call2witness
Feb 27, 2003
Dallas,Texas
Visit site
✟15,992.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we start viewing going to worship as an obligation, then we start forgetting the real reason that we go to worship. It is to celebrate the gift of grace and salvation which Christ gave to us when He died on the cross for our sins. We must be careful not to view worship as routine that will make us more righteous; such thinking is legalistic in nature. Now worship can come in mainly two forms: personal and corporate. Personal worship is like what it says, it is an intimate devotion of our Lord who saved us. Corporate worship is when we meet with other faith followers and proclaim our love for the risen Savior. Each has value when it comes to our spiritual grow in Christ. Personal worship helps us build intimacy with Jesus. Corporate worship reminds us that we are not alone in our faith. We live in a world that opposes everything that we believe in. That is too much for one believer to face alone. However, when we come to worship in Church, we are reminded that we are connected to others who believe and that we are in this together. Therefore, going to church is not an obligation, but an act of love and community within the body of Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frettr00

Finding peace where I am
Aug 10, 2004
✟38,259.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
In the Catholic church going to church every Sunday is so important that it is considered a mortal sin if you miss mass willingly, knowing that it is a grave matter. The only excuse to miss it is if you're sick or some other circumstance is present that makes it impossible to attend. God takes it seriously so you should go.

Upvote 0

Offeiriad

Christian Spiritual Guide
Jun 25, 2012
France
✟22,653.00
Country
France
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Jesus instituted Holy Communion and commanded us to do this to recall Him. Wherever this command is obeyed, His Church is thereby present. If you are there, you are 'at Church'. If you aren't there, one has to ask: what could you be doing which is better than obeying the straight command of Jesus? 'If you love me, keep my commandments' (Jn 14, v15) It's not a 'Law' though - it's a loving response to what God has already done for us!

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every Sunday must go to church?
A Christian's obligation?

Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, (25) not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.

Can you provide a solid reason why one would not attend church on a regular basis? Aside from a temporary reason, such as an illness or being on travel...

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In his sermon this past Sunday our pastor spoke of overhearing one of our 9-year-old members tell a friend that he should visit our church. According to the pastor the conversation went something like this:

9-year old member: You should come visit my church sometime.

9-year old's friend: Why would I want to come to your church?

9-year-old member: Because every Sunday at my church we get to drink wine!

Out of the mouth of babes...

• Haha
Reactions: Journey_On
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ralph Mintah

Site Supporter
Mar 26, 2016
Ghana
✟45,263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It would be good if you can go every Sunday but I think the notion of people seeing Sunday as the day for the Lord has caused many people to neglect the WORD OF GOD (BIBLE) and just concentrate all their ideas on what the Pastor saying. The church was made to supplement the ideas and visions of what people already had of God but it seems like it is changing to be a place of other stuff (prosperity messages) but a church that talks about knowing God all the time should not be missed.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are correct. Church attendance is not mandatory. However, the Bible encourages Christians to meet together.

Hebrews 10:25 We should not stop gathering together with other believers, as some of you are doing. Instead, we must continue to encourage each other even more as we see the day of the Lord coming (GOD'S WORD Translation)

And if we meet together in the context of home fellowship that is also what is being said. There is no commandment to go to some building called a "church" anywhere in scripture. Church is actually from the greek word ekklésia which is the spiritual body of Christ, those who have been called out of this world and belong to him. It is not a building.

1577 ekklēsía(from 1537 /ek, "out from and to" and 2564 /kaléō, "to call") – properly, people called out from the world and to God, the outcome being the Church (the mystical body of Christ) – i.e. the universal (total) body of believers whom God calls out from the world and into His eternal kingdom.

[The English word "church" comes from the Greek word kyriakos, "belonging to the Lord" (kyrios). 1577 /ekklēsía ("church") is the root of the terms "ecclesiology" and "ecclesiastical."]

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0