Sep 6, 2004
My heart is in Hong Kong...
Visit site
✟11,148.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I just want to talk to people who have gone through the same thing because my mind is confused right now. On Monday, I got called to my boss' office only to find out the company was ending my contract 4 months early. She said that my area of work is very complicated and that her advice would be to go back to what I was doing before I got this job. So... at first, it sounded like it was a performance issue. Then I asked her if it was something I did, but she said the company was cutting expenses. I really don't know what to think. The insecure part of me still wonder about that. My boss said I could either work my two weeks notice or if I wasn't not comfortable, I could leave right away and the company would still pay me for the two weeks. Of course, wanting to obtain a good reference, I worked my notice. I offered to work the two weeks but then my boss said one week would be fine since next week would be a short week anyway. So I had the chance to talk to my co-workers and one reassured me that the company ends people's contracts early all the time, and the fact that the company trusted me in working my notice showed that it wasn't a performance issue. This week I think I did a good job of not making it an awkward situation. Although my co-workers didn't know what to say to me (like, whether to tell me they know and start comforting me, so they kept silent), I made some gestures to say hi and be open about being laid off and not knowing what to do next. When I opened up, they opened up and started comforting me. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Then on my last day (yesterday), the whole office called me over to present me a card and wished me luck, and brought cookies and donuts. It made me feel better, the fact that they were sending me off. Now, I've never been laid off before, so correct me if I'm wrong, but normally they don't send you off with a card and treats, right? That's only like if I resign, not if I get laid off. Maybe you can educate me on this.

So now, Saturday, my heart feels kind of heavy. I honestly have NO clue what I want to do for a living. I've been praying, and I have an interview next Tuesday but it's for a job that I don't know if I want because it's just a minimum wage job (maybe a little more) but it could potentially make me very happy. It's a fitness consulting position. I'm a fitness enthuiast, so naturally I want to work in a gym. I often feel down, and the gym of course has lots of music, so listening to music all day and seeing energetic people could uplift me, but is this practical? I can live off minimum wage now but one day, I'm going to move out of home and hopefully get married so I can't live off minimum wage forever. At the same time, being as down as I am, working in a "happy" place could be good for me. As you can see, so much to think about...

Anyway, I really have to rely on God on this because I have absolutely no clue what job I should target. This lay off really is scarier than I thought. I don't want to keep working in the same industry as before because I've lost my job more than once and I am getting scars from it.

So enough about me. Have you lost your job before? Did you know whether to stay in the industry you were in or get out of that industry because you felt scars from the lay off so you wanted to try something different? And did it make you feel inferior? How did you overcome those feelings? (I am aware of the obvious answer - praying - but if God made you learn anything after you got Him involved, please share them with me.)

Last edited:

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just want to talk to people who have gone through the same thing because my mind is confused right now. On Monday, I got called to my boss' office only to find out the company was ending my contract 4 months early. She said that my area of work is very complicated and that her advice would be to go back to what I was doing before I got this job. So... at first, it sounded like it was a performance issue. Then I asked her if it was something I did, but she said the company was cutting expenses. I really don't know what to think. The insecure part of me still wonder about that. My boss said I could either work my two weeks notice or if I wasn't not comfortable, I could leave right away and the company would still pay me for the two weeks. Of course, wanting to obtain a good reference, I worked my notice. I offered to work the two weeks but then my boss said one week would be fine since next week would be a short week anyway. So I had the chance to talk to my co-workers and one reassured me that the company ends people's contracts early all the time, and the fact that the company trusted me in working my notice showed that it wasn't a performance issue. This week I think I did a good job of not making it an awkward situation. Although my co-workers didn't know what to say to me (like, whether to tell me they know and start comforting me, so they kept silent), I made some gestures to say hi and be open about being laid off and not knowing what to do next. When I opened up, they opened up and started comforting me. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. Then on my last day (yesterday), the whole office called me over to present me a card and wished me luck, and brought cookies and donuts. It made me feel better, the fact that they were sending me off. Now, I've never been laid off before, so correct me if I'm wrong, but normally they don't send you off with a card and treats, right? That's only like if I resign, not if I get laid off. Maybe you can educate me on this.

So now, Saturday, my heart feels kind of heavy. I honestly have NO clue what I want to do for a living. I've been praying, and I have an interview next Tuesday but it's for a job that I don't know if I want because it's just a minimum wage job (maybe a little more) but it could potentially make me very happy. It's a fitness consulting position. I'm a fitness enthuiast, so naturally I want to work in a gym. I often feel down, and the gym of course has lots of music, so listening to music all day and seeing energetic people could uplift me, but is this practical? I can live off minimum wage now but one day, I'm going to move out of home and hopefully get married so I can't live off minimum wage forever. At the same time, being as down as I am, working in a "happy" place could be good for me. As you can see, so much to think about...

Anyway, I really have to rely on God on this because I have absolutely no clue what job I should target. This lay off really is scarier than I thought. I don't want to keep working in the same industry as before because I've lost my job more than once and I am getting scars from it.

So enough about me. Have you lost your job before? Did you know whether to stay in the industry you were in or get out of that industry because you felt scars from the lay off so you wanted to try something different? And did it make you feel inferior? How did you overcome those feelings? (I am aware of the obvious answer - praying - but if God made you learn anything after you got Him involved, please share them with me.)

Oh yes. Because of the impoverished area I grew up and lived with my family, security was the only job I could get. I finally got motivated and was hired by the department of interior. Less than a month into the job I discovered the two offices in the building were at each other's throats. I killed a spider one day in the office for one of the ladies and she asked me to take it somewhere else. So I went to the front office and asked if I could dump the spider in their trash. That lady adamantly refused. I chuckled and took it to security. Later that day my boss informed me I had been reported for harassment and he had barely caught it in time to save my job, but one more issue and I was gone.

I had moved my entire family six hours away from home (with 3 kids and me the only one working) and thought for sure I wouldn't survive the year probation. We prayed and the next day I got a call for a federal contract job paying a lot more back home so we moved back home.

That job was even worse. The owner of the contract company said if you called in for work without a two hour notice you lost your job automatically, even if it was a car wreck. I lived an hour and a half away from the job. One day I left my uniform shirt hanging on the kitchen chair. I didn't have time to go back and get it and I knew I would automatically be fired if I took off to go get it. I zipped up my jacket and someone ratted me out.

I was fired the next morning when the supervisor called me out about it. It was the only job I have ever been fired from and I have been laid off for contract endings many times. It makes my resume look horrible because of so many 1 and 2 year jobs.

I've learned to take things in stride. There are things out of our control and we just do the best we can and not worry about things we can't do anything about. God has always found a way for me even though I don't deserve it.

If you can, try to look at it as an adventure and put a positive spin on it. It can actually help doing that because it frees you from the anxiety, afterall, you can only do what you can do. As Paul said...be careless. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ahmunmun
Upvote 0

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,155.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
l Did you know whether to stay in the industry you were in or get out of that industry because you felt scars from the lay off so you wanted to try something different? And did it make you feel inferior? How did you overcome those feelings? (I am aware of the obvious answer - praying - but if God made you learn anything after you got Him involved, please share them with me.)

Sorry, I got caught up telling my story and didn't answer your other questions.

I have pined over job and career choices far more than what is healthy. I think at the end of the day, after you have considered all the variables, you just go in the direction that feels right and hope for the best.

I am almost done with my bachelors after getting my wife through 10 years of school. I am facing some big decisions myself. I feel like I am so far behind everyone else who is younger, but I did what I had to do with the cards I was dealt and choices I made. My advice is, pursue whatever it is you want to do, but be sure and smell the roses along the way. Work is a good thing, but it should not define us. Only the love of God in Christ should do that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well - I'm a "High school dropout" with no college, and I've been working "Seriously" since 1961, and over the last 52 years, I've been laid off several times, had companies go out of business leaving me unemployed, been fired, and once or twice, jumped into better jobs in my own discretion.

I'm now 71, and still working full time as Chief engineer of Bailey Tool and Manufacturing in Lancaster, TX.

Since I'm a "Technical type" (and have a certain natural ability with such things), I've stayed with "Technical" jobs (which pay better, and require less physical effort). And I've stayed pretty much in the same type of industry for the last 40 years (Metalforming equipment). I started out with "Manpower Inc" looking for a job as a machinist in the Boston area, and Manpower plugged me into a job as an "Electronic Technician" (go figure) - SO I just stuck with that, and worked into Electrical/Electronic engineering over the next 15 years, and then mechanical engineering in the late '80s.

The "Secret of my success" is putting my trust the Lord to get me, and the "Right" jobs together, which has resulted in Him having me in the "Right place at the right time" since 1964, and I've never been out of work for more than 10 days since then, and have been a Chief engineer, or manager of engineering ever since 1980 -

I committed my way unto the Lord, and believed also in HIM to bring it to pass - Ps 37:5

And He did.

Simple as that.

YES IT IS Scary - when you're 1000 miles from home with a mortgage, a wife and 4 kids depending on you. It was a LOT scarier in the beginning -

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I loose my job now, my house, my kids go to their father who moved this weekend, I can't find a house, no other work I can do. I hear it from more now who lost their job. Well, I stop looking at the system and God will do it. I prayed and now I can get money, so I can live another year and revival is coming anyway, He'll use me in it, that's what He said years ago.

Upvote 0

Messy

Jan 30, 2011
Holland
✟21,082.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When God closes a door, He opens one. I only had one job for 17 years, never lost a job. I first did another study and I had to quit there. I felt really bad, didn't see it coming, but then I thought: Oh well, at least I don't have to study all summer now, God will have something else. So I went to Spain for a holiday with a friend and after that found another study. There were no jobs after I finished my study, so I just did simple work for a month. I felt bad and someone said: Why don't you just pray? Didn't even think about that, so I did and they phoned me while I was washing dishes, they had a job for me. I could even choose, there were two that wanted me.

Upvote 0

mrhappy3

May 9, 2006
LONDON
✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
YES ! Just lost one a month or so ago - Been resting in the lord since - Things are getting harder out there...I have been helping others in their jobs and suchlike since - its not all about me - God will open another door and when that one closes, he'll open another and on it goes. the key is don't WORRY. Do what his word says. I have been a succcessful sales person for years, but I am a bit bored of targets and playing the 'game'. SO, I may take a lower paying job....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I hope your job interview goes well.

Personally, I've never been without a job that I didn't leave on my own choice, but I've known a lot of people recently who have. I've been basically working since I was 9, initially delivering papers.

Don't be afraid to change industries. The last thing you need is to wake up 10 years from now and regret not at least trying something else when you had the opportunity.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,313.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've lost quite a few jobs, and yes too many times I was just plain fired. I always do the best I can at any job, and that compounds it for me. I guess that will happen if I keep trying to do jobs God didn't make me for. The job I have now seems to be working out, and I actually like the majority of the work. I get to talk to people, solve problems and often identify problems before they are obvious, and try to address them or have them addressed proactively. I actually like when I can get out in front of a problem.

There is life after losing a job. Don't be afraid to take something just to remain active. You may find that you like it, and it could help your confidence. I took a pizza delivery job a few years ago to fill a gap and actually enjoyed the work. I'd do it again part-time just to do it if I had vehicles that could take the beating and if car insurance wasn't so expensive for that. Then a little over a year ago, I was working a seasonal retail job, and the offer for to work for a contractor in my current department on an eleven month assignment came up, and that led to an open ended assignment with a different contractor in the same department. It's challenging, and I get to help other people get their job done all day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I was a seasonal worker for a theme park here in Florida and last September I was let go because the season had ended. Back in 2011 I worked for Americorps, again a temp position that ended 10 months after I started. Each time I panicked, but God provided.

I have been unemployed more than employed since meeting my wife in 2009 only having those two jobs I mentioned. We have never been without. God has provided food for us through foodstamps. My wife receives disability, so our bills and rent is paid through that. My wife worked one day a week because she has been with Olive Garden for over 13 years. So that was the extra we needed for gas in our cars.

Now I stay home and care for my wife full-time, and she is out of work on medical leave because of a flare-up of her MS back in September. Since we have lost that extra $117 or so a month, God has provided again and my MIL is now living with us and is helping me with her granddaughter (our daughter) as well as contributing to household income through her SSI check.

More than likely my wife after her December re-evaluation by her neurologist will be telling her job that she will not be able to work anymore.

God will provide for us, that I know.

Upvote 0

MikeBigg

Apr 13, 2010
Hampshire, UK
✟17,374.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

I have lost my job several times - it hurts. One time I was out of work for 2 years after being made redundant. I had a 3 young kids and a mortgage to support at the time. It was very difficult.

One time I was made redundant along with about 60 people many of them had similar skills to me, so all of a sudden there was a lot of people all going after the same jobs. I managed to find a job quite quickly by looking in non-obvious places.

If you enjoy fitness and can do it, being a fitness consultant is not a bad job - I would have thought there was money in the industry at least. One place I worked had a gym round the corner - the owner used to turn up in a Aston Martin.

Here's some things I have found useful:

1) treat finding a job like a job.

2) register with many job agencies, but look around in non-obvious places, too.

3) be positive - be careful that negative expressions don't appear in your resume, letters or speech.

4) Its easier to get a job when you have a job. Its worth taking a lower paid job with a view to moving on quickly.

5) Consider volunteering at a local charity during this time. This would add points if I read that on a resume of someone I was considering.

I hope this helps a little.

Blessings,

Mike

Upvote 0