Europe Tries Desperately To Rein In Elon Musk Because Free Speech Threatens The Regime’s Grip On Groupthink

whatisinausername

Nov 23, 2022
America
✟3,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union is quite clear about freedom of speech.

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers.

Most European countries have a higher degree of freedom than the USA

1. Denmark — .95
  2. Belgium — .87
  3. Finland, Switzerland, Uruguay — .86
  4. New Zealand, Portugal, Sweden — .85
  5. France — .84
  6. Canada, Estonia — .83
  7. Argentina, Austria, Ireland, Norway — .82
  8. Italy — .80
  9. Australia, Germany, Jamaica, United Kingdom — .79
  10. Czechia, Iceland — .78
  11. Latvia, Netherlands, Slovakia — .77
  12. Costa Rica, Barbados — .75
  13. Luxembourg, Peru, United States — .74

The EU issues with Musk relates to the possible promotion of terrorism on the new platform and also disinformation regarding covid19. You can say what you like but you have to be responsible.

And who decides this? In the US we have actual freedom of speech. You can say or do any stupid thing you want, but you will be held accountable for it by society. Unlike in Germany, I can hold a neo-nazi rally and post it on online. Responsibility becomes a factor when my employer fires me and I can't find a new job.

Peaceful expression of ideas we don't like is freedom of speech. That is what separates civilized society from the rest.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They are "targeting" this one company because it suddenly and radically changed its policies in ways that impact the local regulatory regime.

Really? How so?

Most of the time when you have a new owner of a company you will see changes. The article claimed it was because he reactivated certain accounts. Do those accounts have truly impact their local regulatory regime? Wouldn't it just be easier to ask Twitter to NOT show those accounts in their country of origin instead?

Upvote 0

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Really? How so?

Most of the time when you have a new owner of a company you will see changes. The article claimed it was because he reactivated certain accounts. Do those accounts have truly impact their local regulatory regime? Wouldn't it just be easier to ask Twitter to NOT show those accounts in their country of origin instead?
Yes, Musk has reactivated accounts that were priorly closed for violations of the content policies. The EU is saying to Musk and Twitter, you are saying that you are going to make changes in your moderation, we are watching and be careful not to do anything that violates the terms of service here in the EU. And yes the same rules apply to Tik Tok and Facebook, but they are not undergoing major changes at present so Twitter has moved to the forefront of their observation.

For example, Elon Musk just reinstated a Twitter user who was banned 10 years ago for Neo-Nazi and White Supremacist threats of violence. If you think he may have changed, check out his Web site Daily Stormer

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Don't Panic

Nov 25, 2022
Newfield
✟2,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Really? How so?

It is up to twitter to follow the rules, not or governments to watch them and tell them each time what to do. See the Post Laptop kerfuffle.

Upvote 0

Homeowner

Jan 25, 2022
Oslo
✟23,485.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
In the US we have actual freedom of speech. You can say or do any stupid thing you want, but you will be held accountable for it by society.

So bit like in like in Russia where you are free to demonstrate against Putin and current war the four minutes it takes before police show up. After that society and Wagner group welcomes a new recruit to fight for mother Russia in East Ukraine.

• Agree
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I read the above, and I have to wonder if they are also asking the same of other online platforms - ie Facebook, etc.
Facebook also has to moderate content according to EU law, for example deleting reported hate speech. All social media platforms over a certain number of users have to.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,455.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
And who decides this? In the US we have actual freedom of speech. You can say or do any stupid thing you want, but you will be held accountable for it by society. Unlike in Germany, I can hold a neo-nazi rally and post it on online. Responsibility becomes a factor when my employer fires me and I can't find a new job.
You can hold neo-nazi rallies in germany. Here's a picture of one:

polizisten-bei-einer.jpg

Upvote 0

whatisinausername

Nov 23, 2022
America
✟3,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So bit like in like in Russia where you are free to demonstrate against Putin and current war the four minutes it takes before police show up. After that society and Wagner group welcomes a new recruit to fight for mother Russia in East Ukraine.

No. We have a right to freedom of assembly. If you want to assemble on public property (or private if the owners give you permission), you can do it as long as you want. If you want to assemble on an expressway/interstate and stop traffic, that is a different thing.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟142,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No. We have a right to freedom of assembly. If you want to assemble on public property (or private if the owners give you permission), you can do it as long as you want. If you want to assemble on an expressway/interstate and stop traffic, that is a different thing.
Yes, it says, “we know that we are breaking the law (and social contract) by stopping traffic on this public thoroughfare, but what we are protesting is worth us going to jail over, come and get us.”

Surely you’re not new to politics that you do not know this already?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

whatisinausername

Nov 23, 2022
America
✟3,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yes, it says, “we know that we are breaking the law (and social contract) by stopping traffic on this public thoroughfare, but what we are protesting is worth us going to jail over, come and get us.”

Surely you’re not new to politics that you do not know this already?
What says? You realize you have zero context there?

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,228.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Europe (like China) has free speech laws that differ from those in the US.
That's a round about way of saying anything that doesn't make my tribe look bad. Principal of freedom of speech is universal. People try to justify otherwise is because they wanted to put limitation on it while still wanting to appear as in alignment to it.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Principal of freedom of speech is universal.
What do you think you mean by this? Displaying swastikas is legal in the US, but not in some European jurisdictions. Talking about the uprising in Tiananmen Square is forbidden in China, but not elsewhere. The laws and regulations are different geographically, not universal.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Peaceful expression of ideas we don't like is freedom of speech. That is what separates civilized society from the rest.
In practice, the economic power of employers to marginalize or dismiss peoples whose views offend their company mission statements is a restriction on freedom of speech. GDPR laws in the EU protect individuals from having their private information and views used in this way. In the USA 1% of people control 50% of the wealth and it is not clear that this rich class always knows what they are talking about yet they can bully others into accepting their opinions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,303.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Thoughts on drag shows in libraries?

Also curious: Why do you think so many European countries rank higher than the US on the chart? Because what if, Unadulterated freedom of speech (Which the US does not have anyways) and unrestricted gun laws, are really only two kinds of freedom of the many different freedoms that exist. Frankly, they're close the lamest ones IMHO.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How have Musk's new policies promoted terrorism?

March 2019

You may not threaten violence against an individual or a group of people. We also prohibit the glorification of violence.

Researchers said that gaps in Musk’s stated amnesty plans could leave room for accounts engaged in radicalization or recruitment efforts that might not be illegal to make a comeback.

Basically you do not have to be directly calling for terrorist actions to be working for the terrorists

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,317.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can say what you like, so long as it complies with the scripted narrative.

View attachment 324341

The bottom line is commerce.

Not in Europe. But then we pay half the price for our healthcare with better outcomes. Regarding covid19 which has killed more than a million Americans disinformation kills people.

Upvote 0