Europe Tries Desperately To Rein In Elon Musk Because Free Speech Threatens The Regime’s Grip On Groupthink

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Breton indicated that in order to prevent Twitter from being banned in Europe, the tech entrepreneur will have to part ways with his “arbitrary” approach to reinstating the accounts of people previously banned from the platform. Musk must also surrender the platform to an “extensive independent audit” by 2023. Reportedly, Breton told Musk that the platform must “reinforce content moderation” and “aggressively” root out disinformation.

Musk doesn't strike me as the type of man who would stand down fron justice over Tyrannical threats.

I suppose that Europeans might have to take up VPNs like the Chinese, in order to get on Twitter to exercise free speech

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟823,956.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Breton indicated that in order to prevent Twitter from being banned in Europe, the tech entrepreneur will have to part ways with his “arbitrary” approach to reinstating the accounts of people previously banned from the platform. Musk must also surrender the platform to an “extensive independent audit” by 2023. Reportedly, Breton told Musk that the platform must “reinforce content moderation” and “aggressively” root out disinformation.

Musk doesn't strike me as the type of man who would stand down fron justice over Tyrannical threats.

I suppose that Europeans might have to take up VPNs like the Chinese, in order to get on Twitter to exercise free speech
The Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union is quite clear about freedom of speech.

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers.

Most European countries have a higher degree of freedom than the USA

1. Denmark — .95
  2. Belgium — .87
  3. Finland, Switzerland, Uruguay — .86
  4. New Zealand, Portugal, Sweden — .85
  5. France — .84
  6. Canada, Estonia — .83
  7. Argentina, Austria, Ireland, Norway — .82
  8. Italy — .80
  9. Australia, Germany, Jamaica, United Kingdom — .79
  10. Czechia, Iceland — .78
  11. Latvia, Netherlands, Slovakia — .77
  12. Costa Rica, Barbados — .75
  13. Luxembourg, Peru, United States — .74

The EU issues with Musk relates to the possible promotion of terrorism on the new platform and also disinformation regarding covid19. You can say what you like but you have to be responsible.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

A painfully cynical outlook must be truly exhausting.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The EU issues with Musk relates to the possible promotion of terrorism on the new platform and also disinformation regarding covid19. You can say what you like but you have to be responsible.
How have Musk's new policies promoted terrorism?

March 2019

You may not threaten violence against an individual or a group of people. We also prohibit the glorification of violence.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
A painfully cynical outlook must be truly exhausting.
Is uppose that this might be true for some who are predisposed to apathy. For me it's energizing; and it gives me the strength to continue to fight Tyranny to my last breath.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
From what I have been reading Tik Tok seems to be a bigger threat. I suppose countries are making the same demands on that app platform?
Would these be the same countries that have been involved in unjust wars, though gaining the support of their people through false narratives?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would these be the same countries that have been involved in unjust wars, though gaining the support of their people through false narratives?
You lost me there.

I was speaking of the same EU countries that are making these demands of Musk. Are they making the same demands on Tik Tok?

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reportedly, Breton told Musk that the platform must “reinforce content moderation” and “aggressively” root out disinformation.

I read the above, and I have to wonder if they are also asking the same of other online platforms - ie Facebook, etc.

Disinformation to me has many forms. You read an article written online by a news source (alleged news source), and all their commentary that is added in could be disinformation too. Are they planning on audit there too? What about news stories that are put out before facts have started to roll in, and their speculation (the media's) was completely wrong. Audit there too?

This to me seems a little stupid. They seem to be spouting off these threats, and only targeting one company? This is political talk, because they want to pile on right now. If they were serious? They would have started these demands way before Elon's Twitter purchase happened. Nothing magical happens after he bought it. Twitter was a sewer before the purchase, and it would make sense changes happen once you get a new owner. Other platforms have the same issues with abuse, threats, and of course you have the media that tend to put their spin on things too.

This demand isn't consistent IMO.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I read the above, and I have to wonder if they are also asking the same of other online platforms - ie Facebook, etc.
I wonder if they would submit to the same demands that they seek to impose on the people.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Disinformation to me has many forms. You read an article written online by a news source (alleged news source), and all their commentary that is added in could be disinformation too. Are they planning on audit there too? What about news stories that are put out before facts have started to roll in, and their speculation (the media's) was completely wrong. Audit there too?
I'm concerned about lying politicians spreading disinformation. Would they be willing to be banned from political speech, should someone, at his whim, deem their lies disinformation?

Why would an honorable master expect any more from his slaves, than of himself?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if they would submit to the same demands that they seek to impose on the people.
In some ways there are countries that already do that.

Problem is they don't tend to impose that on the ones that make the demands themselves. What they claim goes, and that tends to be the problem with these types of things. Threats of violence, etc are common sense things anyone can understand - and want to regulate. Differences of opinion that many claim are 'disinformation' is an area that closes debate - which I feel is more the motive at times.

• Useful
Reactions: HARK!

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Problem is they don't tend to impose that on the ones that make the demands themselves

In my opinion, they tend to be the biggest violators.

Letting them have that much power is akin to letting a fox guard the hen house.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm concerned about lying politicians spreading disinformation. Would they be willing to be banned for political speech, should someone, at his whim, deem their lies disinformation?
If they were consistent sure.

All Politian's put their positive spins on things, because its the nature of the beast. It's the media's job to point out the reality - which they will at times and won't at times. That's the bigger issue to me.

Twitter for example flagged one of the White House's claim:

Seniors are getting the biggest increase in their Social Security checks in 10 years through President Biden’s leadership.

Now, the increase is more tied to the inflation issue - not Biden's leadership. They knew that, but they hoped citizens didn't so they could grab that credit. That's what Politian's do.

Snark tends to be the response today, and I guess you could say since inflation happened under Biden's leadership he could take part of that credit...yet that wasn't their aim when they tweeted this. Politian's would never want to own the inflation part - only the increase in checks.

So, in this instance twitter did flag 'misinformation'. Although I would more call it misleading because that is what the political realm tends to do more often - although YES they lie too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In my opinion, they tend to be the biggest violators.

Letting them have that much power is akin to letting a fox guard the hen house.

I agree. That's why I don't think this is the greatest idea at all. This approach is misleading, because they don't hold themselves to account - nor other similar platforms. This is political yack.

• Agree

Friedrich Rubinstein

Aug 20, 2020
Europe
Visit site
✟174,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The EU issues with Musk relates to the possible promotion of terrorism on the new platform and also disinformation regarding covid19.
When it comes to terrorism the EU has always been a blatant hypocrite. Their desperate try to make deals with Iran is a great example.

When it comes to "disinformation regarding Covid19" you just have to look at Ursula von der Leyen's scandal with Pfizer. They don't want the public to talk about it. It isn't about disinformation, free speech itself is dangerous to the European politicians.

• Informative

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,100,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
also disinformation regarding covid19. You can say what you like but you have to be responsible.
You can say what you like, so long as it complies with the scripted narrative.

1670181985034.png

The bottom line is commerce.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
You can say what you like, so long as it complies with the scripted narrative.

View attachment 324341

The bottom line is commerce.
Get the money out of medicine!?
Great idea.
This would work better if we had a National Healthcare Service.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟300,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

This to me seems a little stupid. They seem to be spouting off these threats, and only targeting one company? This is political talk, because they want to pile on right now. If they were serious? They would have started these demands way before Elon's Twitter purchase happened. Nothing magical happens after he bought it. Twitter was a sewer before the purchase, and it would make sense changes happen once you get a new owner. Other platforms have the same issues with abuse, threats, and of course you have the media that tend to put their spin on things too.

This demand isn't consistent IMO.

They are "targeting" this one company because it suddenly and radically changed its policies in ways that impact the local regulatory regime.

Upvote 0