✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I want to hear every side. Let's talk...... Here's mine; part preterist:

LSB: And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”47 And some of those who were standing there, when they heard it, began saying, “This man is calling for Elijah.”48 And immediately one of them ran, and taking a sponge, he filled it with sour wine and put it on a reed, and gave Him a drink.49 But the rest of them were saying, “Let us see whether Elijah will come to save Him.”50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.51 And behold, the veil of the sanctuary was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.52 And the tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;53 and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many.54 Now the centurion, and those who were with him keeping guard over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things that were happening, became very frightened and said, “Truly this was God’s Son!

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,543.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am kind of agnostic regarding eschatology (everything is possible), but I see some form of preterism as the most probable and the most in line with the Bible. Not something I would die for, but something I accept as my system now.

But not sure what the topic is, exactly.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Yes, agreed.... I'm Amill. Part Pre is the anvil that hardens iron.

As far as my interpretation of Revelation goes, I'm an iterist. I'm amillenial when it comes to interpreting Revelation 20.

Upvote 0

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I am kind of agnostic regarding eschatology (everything is possible), but I see some form of preterism as the most probable and the most in line with the Bible. Not something I would die for, but something I accept as my system now.

But not sure what the topic is, exactly.
Perhaps, this thread will help you develop your understanding. I hope it develops mine.

Upvote 0

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
We can move that thought out right away, our King said His kindgdom is not here. John 18: Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be delivered over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not from here.”

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,543.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We can move that thought out right away, our King said His kindgdom is not here. John 18: Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be delivered over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not from here.”
I do not think any preterist believes that the kingdom was there in that time Jesus spoke these words. He was still on the Earth, before the crucifiction.

Also, your translation lacks the very important word - "now", Jesus said - "My kingdom is not of this world, now". I suppose the phrase "as it is" is supposed to represent this word, not sure why.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,357.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
From the Reformation Study Bible (2016), Introduction to Revelation, after explaining some of the different ways to interpret the book.

"A combination of these views is probably closest to the truth. The imagery in Revelation is multifaceted and is in principle capable of multiple embodiments."

I've moved toward Postmil partial preterism over the last year after really digging into eschatology. The move was made from Amil Historicist.

Post-Mil Only - Resources

Could the idea of "mutliple embodiments" legit?

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,357.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I do not think any preterist believes that the kingdom was there in that time Jesus spoke these words. He was still on the Earth, before the crucifiction.

Also, your translation lacks the very important word - "now", Jesus said - "My kingdom is not of this world, now". I suppose the phrase "as it is" is supposed to represent this word, not sure why.

The Son of Man Presented
Dan 7:13 “I kept looking in the night visions,
And behold, with the clouds of heaven
One like a Son of Man was coming,
And He came up to the Ancient of Days
And was presented before Him.
14 “And to Him was given dominion,
Glory and a kingdom,
That all the peoples, nations and men of every language
Might serve Him.
His dominion is an everlasting dominion
Which will not pass away;
And His kingdom is one
Which will not be destroyed.

Notice Christ is given power in His ascension, "He came up to the Ancient of Days..." Christ was given, "dominion" and His dominion is everlasting. The Kingdom is now, already and not yet. (see George Ladd)

Upvote 0

chad kincham

Mar 4, 2009
✟62,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I want to hear every side. Let's talk...... Here's mine; part preterist:

LSB: And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, “Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?” that is, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?”47 And some of those who were standing there, when they heard it, began saying, “This man is calling for Elijah.”48 And immediately one of them ran, and taking a sponge, he filled it with sour wine and put it on a reed, and gave Him a drink.49 But the rest of them were saying, “Let us see whether Elijah will come to save Him.”50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit.51 And behold, the veil of the sanctuary was torn in two from top to bottom; and the earth shook and the rocks were split.52 And the tombs were opened, and many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised;53 and coming out of the tombs after His resurrection they entered the holy city and appeared to many.54 Now the centurion, and those who were with him keeping guard over Jesus, when they saw the earthquake and the things that were happening, became very frightened and said, “Truly this was God’s Son!

The passage you refer to is well known as to its meaning:

Before Jesus came and atoned for sins, no soul could ascend to heaven, thus the OT saints were held in a place in Sheol called Abraham’s bosom, aka paradise.

It was separated by a huge chasm from the torments side known as hell.

When Jesus died He descended to Sheol in the heart of the earth, and preached to those OT saints held in the paradise side.

When He rose He emptied out paradise, and took them with Him, and those are the ones who arose when Jesus rose. Now the souls of the redeemed go straight to heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wandering misfit

Nowhere man
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2012
Indiana
✟54,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I must have missed something, Matt 27 said nothing about our King going to hell. The passage laid out the power of Christ over death.....saints came out of their tombs, were witnessed and an unbeliever gave a witness. I believe this is the beginning of Eschatology.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,357.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Upvote 0