Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Look up Iranian history to see how we not only meddled in the affairs of other countries, but we straight up helped overthrow governments to prop up ones that would do our bidding. Iran was actually a pretty progressive place before we overthrew their government. It was our involvement that let the religious zealots eventually grab power.

Not only does the United States have a long history of meddling in the government of other countries, it also has a very long history of warmongering as well. The article is from 2015, so the years between then and now should be added to the total years the United States of America has gone to war.

America Has Been at War 93% of the Time – 222 out of 239 Years – Since 1776

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The thread is about Eric Holder. As the creator of it, you would know that, I should think.
Who made you the on topic police?

• Useful
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,796.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ask Holder. I suspect there may be a context shortage, judging by the links.
I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up that point. What did he mean by this? Inquiring minds want to know...

ERIC HOLDER: Well, that’s exactly right and that’s why I hear let’s “Make America Great Again,” and I think to myself “when did you think America was great? It certainly wasn’t when people were enslaved. It certainly wasn’t when women did have the right to vote. It certainly wasn’t when the LGBT community was denied the rights to which it was entitled.

HOLDER: It takes us back to an American past that never in fact really existed, this notion of greatness. You know, America has done superb things, great things, and it has been a leader in a whole range of things, but we’re always a work in process. Looking back, “Make America Great Again” is inconsistent with who we are as Americans at our best where we look at the uncertain future, embrace it, and make it our own.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I was wondering if anyone was going to bring up that point. What did he mean by this? Inquiring minds want to know...

ERIC HOLDER: Well, that’s exactly right and that’s why I hear let’s “Make America Great Again,” and I think to myself “when did you think America was great? It certainly wasn’t when people were enslaved. It certainly wasn’t when women did have the right to vote. It certainly wasn’t when the LGBT community was denied the rights to which it was entitled.

HOLDER: It takes us back to an American past that never in fact really existed, this notion of greatness. You know, America has done superb things, great things, and it has been a leader in a whole range of things, but we’re always a work in process. Looking back, “Make America Great Again” is inconsistent with who we are as Americans at our best where we look at the uncertain future, embrace it, and make it our own.
Sounds reasonable. No need for a freakout today.

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I believe he meant "I hate America, baseball, and your mom's apple pie".

• Haha
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
The fact that Holder can say that....in America, is proof of the first elements of Americas greatness.

What if he had been kneeling in front Old Glory during the national anthem as he said it?

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hmmmm...... you question his accuracy and then make his argument.!?:scratch:
The end of the Civil War did not usher in equality by any stretch of the imagination. Government sanctioned segregation was long-standing. I attend a segregated elementary school.

The end of slavery didn't end the damage done by slavery, up to and including today it seems.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,667.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Damage will always linger, when humans are abused.

Especially when there is no one living who were abused by slavery. It's time to get past that. A lot of Americans died to end the slavery. It's time to be grateful. It's also time to be grateful to the people that cleaned up the Civil Rights and ended the nonsense of segregation. There's not a lot of people around that we're alive during the segregation period either.

There have been throughout history people that gave been conquered, enslaved starved and abused. Sometimes we just have to move past the past and quit living there. Especially when we weren't actually there to experience it ourselves.

• Winner
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is "greatness" anyway?

Raw power?

Greatness, as in God's promise to Manasseh.

"And his father refused, and said, I know it, my son, I know it: he also shall become a people, and he (Manasseh) also shall be great: but truly his younger brother (Ephraim) shall be greater than he, and his seed shall become a multitude of nations." Gen 48:19

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Especially when there is no one living who were abused by slavery. It's time to get past that. A lot of Americans died to end the slavery. It's time to be grateful. It's also time to be grateful to the people that cleaned up the Civil Rights and ended the nonsense of segregation. There's not a lot of people around that we're alive during the segregation period either.
LOL! Only me and about 30% of the US population.

There have been throughout history people that gave been conquered, enslaved starved and abused. Sometimes we just have to move past the past and quit living there. Especially when we weren't actually there to experience it ourselves.
Thanks for the advice. You are certainly free with it, telling people what it means to be a American. Who gave you that authority?

Upvote 0