✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I have a question about one word in Ephesians 5:27.

It says, 'That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish'.

YWhat does 'wrinkle' mean in this verse?

Thank you
Wrinkle means exactly what it says.

Taking the verse, I believe wrinkle reiterates the other words(blemish, spot), meaning these are all imperfections.
Jesus gave himself for the church (believers) and through him there will be no imperfection as said in the previous verses.

The church will be presented perfect, pure and holy.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello,

I have a question about one word in Ephesians 5:27.

It says, 'That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish'.

What does 'wrinkle' mean in this verse?

Thank you
One might also ask what he means by "spot." I think these are just general terms meant to signify the church has deserted its sins of the past. "Spot" and "wrinkle" might suggest certain types of problems that I can't explain.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Yes. The Greek word is rhutis, and "wrinkle" is exactly what it means.

Taking the verse, I believe wrinkle reiterates the other words(blemish, spot), meaning these are all imperfections.
Jesus gave himself for the church (believers) and through him there will be no imperfection as said in the previous verses.

That's exactly right. In the context of Ephesians 5:25-27, the picture or metaphor here is of the Church as the Bride of Christ, beautiful in her wedding dress, with lovely, flawless skin.

In the same way Jesus works to wash his Church clean, and make her a pure and beautiful Church, free from any "wrinkles" or "spots" of sin.

180px-White-wedding-dress.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I'm sure this is true; the question was just a little unusual, I guess. Often if we look at the context as a whole, then a particular word that might stimulate an unusual question might become clearer in the context.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes. The Greek word is rhutis, and "wrinkle" is exactly what it means.

That's exactly right. In the context of Ephesians 5:25-27, the picture or metaphor here is of the Church as the Bride of Christ, beautiful in her wedding dress, with lovely, flawless skin.

In the same way Jesus works to wash his Church clean, and make her a pure and beautiful Church, free from any "wrinkles" or "spots" of sin.

180px-White-wedding-dress.jpg
Nice photo also! :)

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello,

What does 'wrinkle' mean in this verse?

Thank you
I'm sure this is true; the question was just a little unusual, I guess. Often if we look at the context as a whole, then a particular word that might stimulate an unusual question might become clearer in the context.
One might also ask what he means by "spot." I think these are just general terms meant to signify the church has deserted its sins of the past. "Spot" and "wrinkle" might suggest certain types of problems that I can't explain.[/QUOTE]Good responses!

I decided to do a little study on that Greek word #4512 it is only used in this one verse.
Hopes this helps......

Ephes 5:24 that he might present it to himself the assembly in glory, not having spot/spilon<4696> or wrinkle/rutida<4512>, or any of such things,
but that it may be holy and unblemished;

4512. rhutis hroo-tece' from 4506; a fold (as drawing together), i.e. a wrinkle (especially on the face):--wrinkle.

Peter uses is the only other verse that uses "spots" and that in conjunction with "blemishes'.
Both spots and wrinkles are blemishes, such as on the face. Could imply wrinkled clothing.

2 Peter 2:13
And shall receive the reward of unrighteousness, as they that count it pleasure to riot in the day time.
Spots/spiloi<4696> they are and blemishes,
sporting themselves with their own deceivings while they feast with you;

spilos spee'-los of uncertain derivation; a stain or blemish, i.e. (figuratively) defect, disgrace:--spot

Ephesians 5:27 BiblehubCommentaries

5:27 Not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing. The idea is that of a body perfectly free from blemish, typical of a soul perfectly delivered from sin - of a character perfected in all grace and goodness. But that it should be holy and without blemish.

5:27 not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; the bodies of the saints will be like to Christ's glorious body, and will shine as the sun in the kingdom of their Father; and in their souls they will be completely conformed to the image of Christ, and enjoy uninterrupted communion with him, and have perfect knowledge of him; they will be always in his presence,
and he will take unspeakable delight and complacency in them, which his presentation of them to himself is expressive of; the church will then be free from all spots and blemishes; from all hypocrites and formal professors; and all heresies and heretics; from all declensions and infirmities, and from all sin and iniquity

Reactions: LLoJ
Upvote 0