EO/OO reunion- Is there really a difference in our Christologies?

Can the EO & OO reunite without compromising their current Christology?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

WanderedHome

Jul 26, 2019
Southern US
✟35,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
*** For accuracy sake, please only vote in the poll if you are Oriental Orthodox. ***

I am going to post the same question on the EO forum.

I just want to see how many from both sides think we can reunite without compromising their positions on the nature of Christ.

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I voted no, because no. One (mia) nature of the incarnate Word does not need to be changed to 'become' Orthodox -- it already is, so we have no reason to give it up or modify it, and we will not. What needs to change is the EO mindset regarding councils, but I won't hold my breath for that to happen.

Edit: I think I might be the only active OO here who posts about the faith, so this poll's results might be slightly biased.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I confess I personally do not fully understand what separates the EO & OO. Probably a major problem is that within our communions is that past saints said what was wrong between Chalcedonians & non Chalcedonians while tensions ran high & probably rightly so depending on which side was being uncharitable at a given time. These instances may even be infrequent but the history is long.

PS: No one needs to try to explain our separation, it will just go in one ear & out the other for me.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
PS: No one needs to try to explain our separation, it will just go in one ear & out the other for me.

Of course. It is rather as you've probably heard on the EO board from Fr. Matt (with whom I have discussed this matter in the past, so I doubt he would object to being singled out here) a matter of subsequent events and developments. Chalcedon itself is a non-starter, as I believe miaphysite theology was deemed acceptable if properly understood and expressed at your fifth council sometime later. Regardless, we will never accept the Tome itself, as EO would have it, nor will we anathematize HH Mor Severus, the Crown of the Syrians. This is why I voted no and maintain that this is the most realistic position to hold. But may the Holy Spirit, the Lord and giver of life, guide us forward in all our dealings with one another.

• Agree
Reactions: Lukaris
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, but I think we can all hope and pray that it gets better without necessarily compromising our respective positions. I don't think simply wanting it will do much, because I don't know anyone who doesn't want to be in union.

Upvote 0