English class is making me nervous

Sep 22, 2013
✟7,794.00
Faith
Methodist
A new semester began for me today. It is my 7th, and I have Math and English, among other classes. I'm really nervous about my English class. Last semester I had a really bad English teacher who would've stolen my 4.0 had I not withdrawn from his class. I worked my fanny off one paper and got a C! It was the most frustrated I have ever been! I can write, but this teacher made me feel incompetent and like a failure.

I have a different teacher this semester that has much higher marks on a website for rating teachers, but I cannot help but feel nervous. Tomorrow I have my first class. Anyone have advice for me? I could really use it.
:234:

graciesings

It is so ordered.
Mar 11, 2013
Texas
✟18,462.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My best advice.... pray whenever you feel nervous or worried about it. Ask God to help you do your best and get along with your teacher :)

and, it might be a good idea to do something kind for your teacher. Compliment her outfit, bring him a cookie, thank him for something, etc. Try to show your teacher that you like them - start the teacher/student relationship off on a good note :)

Upvote 0

Blue Wren

Sep 22, 2014
Solna, Sweden
✟26,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I know how you feel, I think. I'm in the US for a "gap year" and have some difficulties with my classes. I'm taking them, for enrichment, but still I had felt like a fool, every day. I had decided to try to learn Italian and Japanese. Italian, because that is my boyfriend's language. Japanese, because I will visit my friend on her gap year there, this summer. In both classes, I am the worst pupil, yes. We will go around in circles, with a conversation. One student asks you a question, you answer. Ask the next. I am always the one, to make a big mistake. Embarrassing mistakes, sometimes! I have not mastered even the basics yet. English isn't my first language. Teachers, they are teaching me Japanese and Italian, explaining it to me in English. My brain gets very tired. What I advise is, just keep your mind, on what you are to be learning. This only. Don't worry, so much about what your teacher or other people will think about you. Don't worry, about messing up. Now that I do that, I am becoming better! Pray before classes, to calm you.

Upvote 0