PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm not disagreeing with you. But I wonder if an entire society of sociopaths would be just as successful. The fact that sociopaths can thrive in our modern society is irrelevant to my claim that empathy is a necessary ingredient for humanity as a whole. Also, I am not advocating for "empathy alone" at all.
As successful? Hard to say, do ants and bees feel empathy? Because they seem to have their societies in order far more than we do.

I would say that, if the only mental difference was that everyone was a sociopath, societies would probably have looser rules and be more prone to collapse and reform. However, since what benefits us individually often also benefits society as a whole, I do not think that humanitarian actions would be off the table, just that they would always have an underlying selfish motivation.

Reactions: Gene Parmesan
Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
As successful? Hard to say, do ants and bees feel empathy? Because they seem to have their societies in order far more than we do.

I would say that, if the only mental difference was that everyone was a sociopath, societies would probably have looser rules and be more prone to collapse and reform. However, since what benefits us individually often also benefits society as a whole, I do not think that humanitarian actions would be off the table, just that they would always have an underlying selfish motivation.
Obviously we'd have to define "successful" to really answer. I don't know if ant or bee societies are things we want to totally emulate. I know I wouldn't, personally.

"Sociopath" is such a broad term too. So many different flavors, so to speak. An empathy-free human race is an interesting thought experiment though. I think we can be confident in saying it would be very different. Better though? I wouldn't guess so, but maybe I'm wrong.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Obviously we'd have to define "successful" to really answer. I don't know if ant or bee societies are things we want to totally emulate. I know I wouldn't, personally.

"Sociopath" is such a broad term too. So many different flavors, so to speak. An empathy-free human race is an interesting thought experiment though. I think we can be confident in saying it would be very different. Better though? I wouldn't guess so, but maybe I'm wrong.
I never implied that the society would be better, just that it could be functional, if humans did not feel empathy. You, as a person with empathy, probably wouldn't prefer such a society, but a person without empathy might. Who wants to be in a society in which they deviate significantly from the standard upon which the society is founded? I can tell you, it is not fun to be autistic in a society not made for autistic people. Everything is too loud, for one.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Gene Parmesan

Apr 4, 2017
Earth
✟36,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I never implied that the society would be better, just that it could be functional, if humans did not feel empathy. You, as a person with empathy, probably wouldn't prefer such a society, but a person without empathy might. Who wants to be in a society in which they deviate significantly from the standard upon which the society is founded? I can tell you, it is not fun to be autistic in a society not made for autistic people. Everything is too loud, for one.
Of course I wouldn't contest that.

Upvote 0

Maria.V.H

Feb 1, 2017
Denmark
✟34,519.00
Country
Denmark
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think this world does not work because of the lack of empathy, sympathy, love, understanding and humanity, in fact i think this world would become better if more people felt empathy for others, or just a great compassion, that would be nice but i don´t see it. All we do is care about ourselves, we don´t care about our neighbors, or not a lot does. I know what a burden it can be to be highly sensitive, to have such a high amount of empathy that life becomes difficult, but seriously i would not in a million years give that gift up, it´s the most valuable thing i have in my life even though it´s hard. To put yourself aside to feel another person, if that is not valuable and beautiful and the meaning of our whole existens i don´t know what is. I´m scared of our cold hearts, i really am...

Reactions: Khalliqa
Upvote 0

possibletarian

Dec 27, 2016
Peak District
✟33,311.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Thumbs up ? Down? Something in between?

Empathy is colloquially and loosely described as the ability to place yourself in another person's "shoes" (official definitions are often not in sync with the way words are actually used so I eschew the official definition sometimes).

I read an article several years back essentially stating that empathy is a problem rather than an asset to communication because the empath takes on the problems of others often not knowing where to draw the line for their own mental health. Also, it raises the possibility of abetting someone's bad habits.

OTOH I've read and experience how empathy means respecting that someone has their own reality and the ability to see that reality without passing judgment is the first stage to having the relevant data to pass more wise judgment if one so desires. Also, it allows us to understand that others have autonomy.

The above is relevant to individual relationships but I think it is also a question for communities and differing beliefs. How well ca you ascertain someone's different worldview if you never actually sustain your own for a minute to consider theirs? And is or is this not a way to peace?

Or do you envision peace only happening when everyone thinks the same.. therefore empathy not necessary?

What say you?

Empathy to me is the ability or experience to not judge a person without first recalling your own experiences and feelings, even if they are not directly linked, an understanding of where a person is.

Personally I think it's a good thing for both parties having a kind heart is essential when dealing with fellow humans beings.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here's something worth mentioning: empathy has its downsides. Sometimes, situations demand that we allow some people to experience misfortune, or that we lose far more than we gain from feeling empathy. Constantly being emotionally battered by the sorrows of others can impair us from dealing with our own troubles. It'd drive a person mad to constantly be concerned with the experiences of everyone around them. Empathy for others can be especially detrimental to soldiers during war; many soldiers have far lower accuracy with their guns while in the field than they do in practice, sometimes performing at as low as 30% of what they are capable of, just due to the weight of killing another person.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I read an article several years back essentially stating that empathy is a problem rather than an asset to communication because the empath takes on the problems of others often not knowing where to draw the line for their own mental health. Also, it raises the possibility of abetting someone's bad habits.
Counsellors usually choose their vocation because they see themselves as empaths or empathic. I would not like to live in a world where empathy was absent. Socio and psychopaths lack empathy which enables them to torture and kill, methodically without even flinching. How frightening!
Society relies on empaths to heal the wounds of so many. I value empathy. When someone tries to walk in my shoes for a while, I appreciate the effort even if they don't quite hit the target. Really compassionate people are not always Christian but it helps me more if they are.

Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I've always considered the term empathy as a "beefed up" version of sympathy.

A few years back I had friends go through a miscarriage. It was very hard on them. They mourned as if they lost one of their children who had been born. I sympathized with them. I felt really bad for them. But I couldn't quite relate. I may have even thought once or twice, "Is it really THAT bad? The child wasn't even born yet." But I was there for the husband as my wife was for the wife to talk and encourage them. As a caring human who cared about my friend I sympathized with him.

Then my wife miscarried. I understood.

I had another friend go through a miscarriage not too long ago. This time, I empathized with him. I was able to more fully engage, more fully encourage, and more fully "be there" for him.

I think sympathy and empathy are very important in this life. Empathy is more "powerful", and therefore, we need to make sure we are guarding our own heart when we empathize with other people. But empathizing appropriately seems to be a very good and beneficial thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Empathy for others can be especially detrimental to soldiers during war; many soldiers have far lower accuracy with their guns while in the field than they do in practice, sometimes performing at as low as 30% of what they are capable of, just due to the weight of killing another person.

Wars aren't such a great thing, so that's an ability that is overrated.

There's different kinds of empathy, too. A person with autism has a different deficit than a person who is a sociopath. An autistic person is capable of feeling hurt emotionally, a sociopath is not. But people with autism struggle with understanding other minds, whereas the sociopath has a keen sense of what is on other peoples minds- they just have no conscience. At least that's the theory.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The problem is that socialization into certain cultures might make empathy a character flaw.

I once lived next to this fellow whose mantra seemed to be:

"You can't be nice to people. They will think you are weak!"

In other words, to him, being cruel was preferable since by being cruel people would view him as strong and not mess with him. In such a culture a kind man who shows empathy is viewed as effeminate. Kids who are too nice will be considered wimpy goody-goodies by their parents and will be harassed by other kids who have been taught that cruelty is virtue. That is the predatory nature of some cultures and in such cultures it very often doesn't pay to be or to appear to be nice.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem is that socialization into certain cultures might make empathy a character flaw.

I once lived next to this fellow whose mantra seemed to be:

"You can't be nice to people. They will think you are weak!"

In other words, to him, being cruel was preferable since by being cruel people would view him as strong and not mess with him. In such a culture a kind man who shows empathy is viewed as effeminate. Kids who are too nice will be considered wimpy goody-goodies by their parents and will be harassed by other kids who have been taught that cruelty is virtue. That is the predatory nature of some cultures and in such cultures it very often doesn't pay to be or to appear to be nice.

This is a definite reality in the states. Not sure what to make of it though. :-/

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a definite reality in the states. Not sure what to make of it though. :-/

Well, the Spartans were taught to be violent and merciless. In fact, to become a man every young man was required to murder a Helot, a member of a group of people who had been subjugated by Sparta. Romans were socialized in such a way that they enjoyed seeing humans murder each other in the arena. Unless the culture changes such characteristics are passed on via parental influence and by the local society in question. As the saying goes:

"Culture plays the music and we tend to dance to it."

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure the bible even addresses "empathy."
Yes it does. It tells us to do unto other what we would like others to do onto us.

Matthew 7:12
New International Version
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Upvote 0

Khalliqa

Sep 30, 2006
✟28,944.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes it does. It tells us to do unto other what we would like others to do onto us.

Matthew 7:12
New International Version
So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

What if you are a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]?

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Amen. I agree with the statement. However I do not think that has anything to do with "empathy;" which is actually feeling the emotions of someone else.

Upvote 0