embed radio frequency identification chips in license plates coming to the United Sta

bigat

Jan 10, 2003
Chicago - area
Visit site
✟616.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"A controversial plan to embed radio frequency identification chips in license plates in the United Kingdom also may be coming to the United States, experts told UPI's Wireless World. "

http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20050812-082018-4885r.htm

What do you guys think of this? Too much?

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
bigat said:
What do you guys think of this? Too much?

Too useless. If I were going to drive somewhere I didn't want people to know about, I'd get a friend to borrow his mother's car, and let me drive it. Or, I'd steal my roommate's car while he/she was asleep. Or I'd take an ax, and give the RFID forty whacks.

Useless.

Upvote 0

one love

Dec 17, 2003
clear lake tx
Visit site
✟1,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Republican
'may be comming to the US'? It's already been here for a while, just the media doesn't want you to know.

Sec. 601.507. SPECIAL INSPECTION CERTIFICATES.

(a) Commencing not later than January 1, 2006, the department shall issue or contract for the issuance of special inspection certificates to be affixed to motor vehicles that are inspected and found to be in proper and safe condition under Chapter 548.

(b) An inspection certificate under this section must contain a tamper-resistant transponder, and at a minimum, be capable of storing:

(1) the transponder's unique identification number; and

(2) the make, model, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle to which the certificate is affixed.

(c) In addition, the transponder must be compatible with:

(1) the automated vehicle registration and certificate of title system established by the Texas Department of Transportation; and

(2) interoperability standards established by the Texas Department of Transportation and other entities for use of the system of toll roads and toll facilities in this state.

http://www.infowars.com/articles/bb/rfid_tx_considers_tags_in_all_cars.htm

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
one love said:
'may be comming to the US'? It's already been here for a while, just the media doesn't want you to know.

Sec. 601.507. SPECIAL INSPECTION CERTIFICATES.

(a) Commencing not later than January 1, 2006, the department shall issue or contract for the issuance of special inspection certificates to be affixed to motor vehicles that are inspected and found to be in proper and safe condition under Chapter 548.

(b) An inspection certificate under this section must contain a tamper-resistant transponder, and at a minimum, be capable of storing:

(1) the transponder's unique identification number; and

(2) the make, model, and vehicle identification number of the vehicle to which the certificate is affixed.

(c) In addition, the transponder must be compatible with:

(1) the automated vehicle registration and certificate of title system established by the Texas Department of Transportation; and

(2) interoperability standards established by the Texas Department of Transportation and other entities for use of the system of toll roads and toll facilities in this state.

http://www.infowars.com/articles/bb/rfid_tx_considers_tags_in_all_cars.htm

It sounds like that only applies to Texas. As to the posts above, yes, using your friend's mother's car would be a good way to avoid surveilance. No, whacking the chip wouldn't work too well. If they make police cars that can identify the chips, they could probably spot cars that don't have working chips. If there's evidence of tampering you'd probably be fined. I suspect the chips will be used to keep people from speeding, but maybe not.

As far as I'm concerned, this is no better than sticking chips in people.

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Though if anyone ever watched the 5th element, I would support somthing like the driver licnese system they had.

I.E. a way for the Car to verrify that you'r using a Valid Driver Licnse, If not, the car would still run (Covering any "emergency" use), but would have an automated flashig light to identify it as opperating without a valid licnes.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Quantos said:
Though if anyone ever watched the 5th element, I would support somthing like the driver licnese system they had.

I.E. a way for the Car to verrify that you'r using a Valid Driver Licnse, If not, the car would still run (Covering any "emergency" use), but would have an automated flashig light to identify it as opperating without a valid licnes.

Cut the wires to the lights. Problem solved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

one love

Dec 17, 2003
clear lake tx
Visit site
✟1,475.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Republican
Norseman said:
It sounds like that only applies to Texas. As to the posts above, yes, using your friend's mother's car would be a good way to avoid surveilance. No, whacking the chip wouldn't work too well. If they make police cars that can identify the chips, they could probably spot cars that don't have working chips. If there's evidence of tampering you'd probably be fined. I suspect the chips will be used to keep people from speeding, but maybe not.

As far as I'm concerned, this is no better than sticking chips in people.

And you think Texas will be the only state?

Upvote 0

Quantos

Sock ? What Sock
Mar 6, 2005
Earth for now
✟33,990.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vylo said:
Microwave is prolly overkill (your microwave prolly wouldn't survive), I wonder if a few magnets would do the trick.

na unless you have access to Very High field electro magnets.

You need some way to burn out the coil/chip in the RFDI tag, Your standard Strong magnets wouldnt burn it out.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Quantos said:
na unless you have access to Very High field electro magnets.

You need some way to burn out the coil/chip in the RFDI tag, Your standard Strong magnets wouldnt burn it out.

I agree. The objective is to induce an electrical current in the chip. Just holding a magnet near it won't do the trick.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
The microwave would take it out... the ones in the UK are active tags, they have batteries, and as a result, getting hit with microwaves will ruin them.

In the US, if they became widespread, hackers would have a field day changing them, or even changing them on the fly. No need to take your mom's car, just reprogram your rfid module.
http://www.creative-weblogging.de/cgi-bin/frames.cgi?url=http://rfidanalysis.org/

Ron

Upvote 0