The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
So personal income will be generated through taxing personal income?

Yeah I’m pretty sure the Sovietsky Soyuza tried that, under Lenin, and it was quite the flop. Hence the New Economic Policy which basically reimplemented capitalism but with all the capital owned by the Communist Party, and that also failed, because command economies don’t work either.
Yet, by the 1960's, Soviet citizens had a standard of living comparable to Americans.

Wrong - by the 1970s under Brezhnev they had a standard of living comparable to the poorer countries in Western Europe. They never even came close to parity with Americans in terms of standard of living.

For that matter, the DDR had one of the highest standards of living behind the iron curtain, higher than most of the Soviet Union outside of a few important cities where the nomenclatura lived, yet still people were risking death to escape to the West.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Elon Musk is sketchy for so many more reasons than this.

Also, it's not like this is something that Elon Musk thought up by himself with his evil mastermind brain or something. Here's a very popular YouTube video (16 million views) on the subject from 9 years ago that makes basically the same point:

As someone who works in an educational field that uses AI on every single shift, the video is correct (though I don't know about some of Musk's particular economic predictions that are obviously not covered there; he's not an economist, and he thought the "Cyber Truck" was a good idea, so I don't trust his judgment on a more basic level). There is very much a sense at my job that we are kind of training our 'replacement', as the AI we use is getting markedly better with each iteration, but it's nowhere near where it would need to be to be deployed with no human oversight, so our jobs are safe for the foreseeable future. In the long term, however, I don't doubt that a great many jobs (including mine) will ultimately be assumed by a more advanced AI. This will require a great amount of reconsidering the foundations of modern economics, but I guess I naively hope that by the time we're at that point, everyone will have seen the writing on the wall for quite some time, so there won't be as much of a fight anymore about how all us little worker bees just need to get back into our job-holes, because...well, what jobs? Presumably the people who would be arguing that now (the owning class) will be the ones who most benefit from being able to replace all their workers with AI, so it doesn't really make sense that they would be also be the ones telling everyone to get back to work. Maybe it'll be like living in Alaska, where the government just gives you money for being around. Who knows. We're definitely not there yet.

Note that the payments you receive from the Alaska State Government are not enough to live off of, particularly considering the extremely high cost of living in Alaska vs. the lower 48, but they do help those on fixed incomes offset the high cost of living. I was friends with a lady who used to work for the State of Alaska investigating cases of fraud, because people in the lower 48 who lived in Alaska only part time or who had lived there temporarily in the military would fraudulently try to claim the benefit.

Also economically as we are seeing now, if you give everyone money, you will ultimately just cause price inflation. And the Soviet example shows that trying to control that by controlling the supply side of the economy, via a command economy, does not work nearly as well as the Invisible Hand of the Market.

Macroeconomically speaking, our best hope is that AI systems work out like all other advances in computers, replacing predominantly dreary boring jobs but also allowing people to be more productive and creative, and presently with chatgpt that is certainly the case.

Reactions: dzheremi
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Macroeconomically speaking, our best hope is that AI systems work out like all other advances in computers, replacing predominantly dreary boring jobs but also allowing people to be more productive and creative, and presently with chatgpt that is certainly the case.
I wonder though how many people depend on those boring dreary jobs.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Another point of concern is Musk talking about built in failsafes to shut down AI, if/when it becomes a threat. But is that really going to work on a system that ends up being smarter and thinks faster than us?

Reactions: YorkieGal
Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

I truly believe he is a Trojan horse who is no friend to humanity.

He talks about 'universal high income' that is 'good for education' but states that none of humanity will ever need to work again as AI will do everything. What, then, is the purpose of this 'education'?

He speaks with both sides of his mouth and I believe he is evil.

Actually, it makes sense.

Crime and fertility rates tends to be less with higher levels of education and both indicators are a good thing about education.

So even if nobody works anymore, it pays for society to be highly educated. We can still use acquired skills in many useful pursuits. Making money isn't the only worth of a person. We can still make huge contributions to science, art, philosophy, etc even if we're no longer getting paid for it.

It would actually be very dangerous to stop getting educated once AI is handling everything because who can keep an eye on AI if everyone is poorly educated?

Not a fan of Musk but in this case, he's making sense.

However there is still ONE HUGE problem with his economic model. If everyone has high income, then demand for everything will skyrocket. Inflation of prices will reach far beyond record levels and we may face serious shortages or competition of resources.

Free market / capitalism would face catastrophic failure, ending in a bad way. The ONLY way you can make this work is impose a limit in how much of a specific item (like essential food items, etc) you can buy each day or each week or even how much (quantity) of a certain gadget you can buy each year like phone, car, etc.

Only luxury or limited production items are excluded from this purchasing limit.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually, it makes sense.

Crime and fertility rates tends to be less with higher levels of education and both indicators are a good thing about education.

So even if nobody works anymore, it pays for society to be highly educated. We can still use acquired skills in many useful pursuits. Making money isn't the only worth of a person. We can still make huge contributions to science, art, philosophy, etc even if we're no longer getting paid for it.

I agree.

AI isn't replacing higher level human thought. It won't be replacing university professors or research scientists any time soon . It will just replace alot of menial work.

It's really more of a tool or amplifier of thought.

It would actually be very dangerous to stop getting educated once AI is handling everything because who can keep an eye on AI if everyone is poorly educated?

I also agree a lack of education could be dangerous, but the source of the danger is from other humans, not AI itself: if people aren't educated, bad actors could use AI for their own exploitative ends, to manipulate social, economic, and political systems. I agree with the Israeli historian Yuval Noah Harari that the real danger is that AI is a tool that threatens human autonomy unless we all focus alot more on raising our consciousness, what he calls "knowing yourself". In the US, Madison Avenue was the first to use psychological techniques to manipulate economic markets for the benefit of oligarchs like oil companies, tobacco companies, and so on. Now take that and amplify that through the power of AI and neuromarketing, and you have an idea of the danger for an uneducated population.

• Agree
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
I wonder though how many people depend on those boring dreary jobs.

Unfortunately quite a lot, which is part of the problem. Its mainly the white collar jobs which are threatened by AI, however. An AI cannot replace, for example, ramp agents at airports or other menial jobs, but it can reduce such jobs, the airlines having reduced the number of customer service agents by adopting self check-in. Likewise conductors are also at risk on trains, and have been so for a time, however, there are also systems like the Docklands Light Railway in London, which has developed into an impressive light metro similar in quality to the Underground, serving the more lightly developed southeastern part of the city, where the trains have no drivers, but each train does have a “train captain” who ensures passenger safety (and can also manually drive the train from a concealed panel at the front if the automation were to fail).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No one can change my mind on this point.

He abuses animals, dresses like Satan, flips from Democrat to Republican, decries AI as it pertains to the end of humanity and goes out of his way to not only create it but ensure that it moves from horrible and failed experimentation on innocent animals to implantation into humans.

He pretends that he is for the people and all of this experimentation is for the 'greater good' and health etc but goes on to say how his neurolink can be used for web browsing and telepathy and the controlling of limbs by laptops etc.

Starlink is touted like some awesome thing and then he pretends that he picks and chooses who 'benefits' from it as/when it suits him. After all, how can you get people to want it if you don't pretend it's a really bad thing if it's taken away?

He's an actor, the 'hero' meant to distract us from the real agenda and is using AI to scrape our lives, thoughts, interactions etc as data for his robots/cyborg megalomaniac obsession.

He's demonic.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
He abuses animals, dresses like Satan, f

Forgive me, I had not heard of these incidents - if true, it would change my opinion of the man. Could you provide more information about this?

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Forgive me, I had not heard of these incidents - if true, it would change my opinion of the man. Could you provide more information about this?

• Informative
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No one can change my mind on this point.

He abuses animals, dresses like Satan, flips from Democrat to Republican, decries AI as it pertains to the end of humanity and goes out of his way to not only create it but ensure that it moves from horrible and failed experimentation on innocent animals to implantation into humans.

He pretends that he is for the people and all of this experimentation is for the 'greater good' and health etc but goes on to say how his neurolink can be used for web browsing and telepathy and the controlling of limbs by laptops etc.

Starlink is touted like some awesome thing and then he pretends that he picks and chooses who 'benefits' from it as/when it suits him. After all, how can you get people to want it if you don't pretend it's a really bad thing if it's taken away?

He's an actor, the 'hero' meant to distract us from the real agenda and is using AI to scrape our lives, thoughts, interactions etc as data for his robots/cyborg megalomaniac obsession.

He's demonic.

Just the other day, I was watching Venom (the 1st part). Musk reminded me of the villain in the movie where he's working on using alien organisms to enhance human beings and rushed testing on animals to eventually move on to illegal testing on humans (homeless people).

Replace alien organism with AI and it's about the same thing! I didn't know about the animal testing until now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,056.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Elon Musk is a narcissistic billionaire. However, sometimes narcissistic billionaires can make insightful observations, too. In this case about AI.

Free income is a good thing but it can be used to bait on someone's desperation to agree to things they wouldn't normally do.

Otherwise, it would've been awesome if it came without any strings attached but in reality, it is very rarely the case.

True AI singularity doesn't exist yet and even Elon Musk and Google probably fears such possibility and would probably prevent such thing from ever happening.

The one thing the most powerful and the richest fears most are things they cannot control.

Thus, a real AI with a mind of its own thus would be their greatest fear / enemy. Things they claim to be "AI" but does all their bidding and completely under their control are nothing but dumb and fake AI. They're not real.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Elon Musk is a narcissistic billionaire. However, sometimes narcissistic billionaires can make insightful observations, too. In this case about AI.

How do you know he is a narcissist? Forgive me, but such a diagnosis can only legitimately made by a psychologist or psychiatrist or counselor or certain other mental health clinicians.

Now I myself may not be greatly at ease with Elon Musk; I am certainly not among the enthusiasts of his; in particular I think his Hyperloop concept is non-viable and regard Tesla as an ecological disaster, however, I feel compelled by the words of our Lord not to make judgements about his character, but only his actions, and whatever his sins are I am sure they pale in comparison to mine (even if they do not, we should always assume we are the worst of sinners in order to maintain a humble disposition), and what is more I feel compelled by professional ethics not to declare someone a narcissist or a psychopath who has not been formally diagnosed as such.’

For example, Darrell Brooks, who did murder 6 people and injure I think 78 others in the Waukesha Parade attack in 2021, was diagnosed as being eitther a narcissist or a psychopath, I can’t remember which, so I would have no qualms referring to him as such, since he was evaluated in jail by mental health clinicicans for the defense, the prosecution and the court pre-trial as it was anticipated that his lawyer would rely on a mental health argument (as it happens, this did not occur as he famously dismissed his lawyers and represented himself, an act which is generally inadvisable).

But in the case of major politicians who I dislike, even those who have engaged in specific acts I consider evil, I cannot legitimately declare them a narcissist or a psychopath, since these disorders are specific in meaning, also that of sociopath, and can only be diagnosed by a mental health clinician who has professionally examined the patient in person. We don’t even know if Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, Tamerlane or Ataturk were psychopaths or narcissists, even though we can characterize their conduct as evil to an astonishing degree, insofar as it was homicidal to the point of genocide.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate

Well the Satanic armor incident is disturbing and morally reprehensible. I had not heard of that, we can add that to his baseless accusation of paedophilia on the part of one of the cave safety divers who facilitated the rescue of the strained Thai youth soccer team as a public outrage against morality.

Regarding neuralink, that seems to be more of a regulatory issue, since I do not object to animal testing of products, and the things Neuralink is developing positively would require animal testing. And my view is that technology is worth developing, because of its potential to help people who are paralyzed.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well the Satanic armor incident is disturbing and morally reprehensible. I had not heard of that, we can add that to his baseless accusation of paedophilia on the part of one of the cave safety divers who facilitated the rescue of the strained Thai youth soccer team as a public outrage against morality.

Regarding neuralink, that seems to be more of a regulatory issue, since I do not object to animal testing of products, and the things Neuralink is developing positively would require animal testing. And my view is that technology is worth developing, because of its potential to help people who are paralyzed.
I pursued a PhD in neuroscience and was appalled at how animals, monkeys in particular, were tortured and do not believe it is necessary for medication or technology having seen it and dealt with it, firsthand.

We all have our conscience and red lines we draw and have to answer to God for.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

It does seem like there are better reasons to dislike Elon Musk. Like the fact that he is basically a narcissistic man-baby who thinks he's smarter and funnier than he actually is.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0