Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,323.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
It does seem like there are better reasons to dislike Elon Musk. Like the fact that he is basically a narcissistic man-baby who thinks he's smarter and funnier than he actually is.

-CryptoLutheran

Agreed. Musk is more cringy than evil. He's fairly smart, too. But honestly there's a low bar as far as Americans go now days. Who would have guessed Idiocracy would have been a documentary about the future?

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It does seem like there are better reasons to dislike Elon Musk. Like the fact that he is basically a narcissistic man-baby who thinks he's smarter and funnier than he actually is.

-CryptoLutheran

Assuming he actually has narcissistic personality disorder. I am extremely concerned with the word narcissist being used as a synonymoum for “evil” or “immoral”, when in reality narcissists are persons who appear to lack an understanding of the concept of morality - they are amoral, as opposed to intentional wrongdoers, but their condition makes them extremely dangerous, particularly those who are “high functioning.” However only a mental health clinician can diagnose narcissism.

Which takes us to the other part of my argument, which is narcisissm, insofar as it represents an inability to either discern, or more likely, properly weigh the importance of morality in the decision making process, combined with a sense of superiority, is a personality disorder that one could argue might have the extent of, to some extent, reducing moral culpability for evil acts vs. a person with a healthy conscience who engages in acts of evil for reasons of personal advancement. Not all evildoers are narcissistic, and if we allow the two terms to become conflated, we risk a loss of vital semantic information and we also run the risk of failing to hold evildoers to proper account, inasumuch as this responsiblity falls on us and not God (which is to say, very little).

We can using Christian morality as an objective metric ascribe evil and sinful behavior to individuals based only on documented actions. In the case of Elon Musk, I see two obvious incidents of actions which are reprehensible, the Satanic attire incident and the false accusation of paedophilia against one of the rescuers of the trapped youth soccer team in Thailand, where Musk’s absurd intervention with a makeshift submarine was unsolicited and unhelpful and such a reaction ought not to have been unanticipated. These, combined with his violations of SEC regulations with his twitter account, do point a negative picture, but we have nothing which compares, with, for example, the repeated marital infidelity of Bill Clinton, or the recent mass-vehicular-homicide by Darrell Brooks, a convicted paedophile who was on bail after he attempted to run over his ex-girlfriend, who he had offended against for the first time when she was 15. These two incidents represent clear and obvious evil by members of the elite and members of the bottom of the social ladder, although not all elites escaped justice in the manner of Clinton, for example, Jeffrey Epstein, who was convicted, and Harvey Weinstein, also convicted of grossly immoral behavior.

Now interestingly of these individuals, only Darrell Brooks was diagnosed a narcissist, and in the case of former President Clinton, we will likely never get a diagnosis by a mental health clinician, at least an honest one, as this requires an actual in person examination.

So my argument is that if Elon Musk is evil, the evidence of this are the incidents I mentioned, but this is evidence of immoral behavior and not narcissism. Unless he is arrested and subjected to a forensic mental health examination we will likely never know whether he is a narcissist, a psycopath or has other “Dark Triad” personality traits, or is merely engaging in immoral behavior of his own volition without any mental health disorders aiding in his decision to embrace evil.

Likewise, as Christians we are mandated to pray for the reform of such evildoers, and not use their own evil as a sort of benchmark to compare ourselves against, something which I, in my extreme sinfulness, have occasionally done. There is an extreme risk of looking at, say, a serial killer, and being tempted to boast in not being as horrible a sinner as that person, and in so doing excuse our own failings on the basis of a false sense of moral relativism which is not shared by God, who views all categories of sin as equally offensive.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, and it's a waste of time.
This, together with your thread on the evils of scientific knowledge,explains a lot. I am not sure what happened to you in your life to sour you on knowledge for its own sake. But you should not foist that negativity on others.

Learning about how the world works, learning to appreciate art, understanding human history, exploring matters philosophical, and on and on. These are valuable pursuits that the healthy human mind is naturally inclined to engage. Granted, sometimes people have experiences that lead them to reject the pursuit of knowledge. And sometimes, this is not their fault. But I suggest it is beyond obvious that the natural healthy human condition is one of inquiry, of a passion for knowledge.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
X Races to Contain Damage After Elon Musk Endorses Antisemitic Post

IBM, a major advertiser on X, has pulled its spending from the social media platform, whose employees are grappling with what to tell its other advertisers, according to internal messages.

+++

So, it turns out that Musk endorses the antisemitic 'replacement theory' that Jews are behind the recent immigration crises (recall neo-Nazis in Charlottsville, who chanted "Jews will not replace us"), which has freaked out major advertisers such that he is further tanking Twitter/X. Can't say I feel even the tiniest bit bad for the guy, since it doesn't take a lot of brain cells to see that endorsing racist lunacy is evil, as well as being bad for business. Cause, meet effect.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
X Races to Contain Damage After Elon Musk Endorses Antisemitic Post

IBM, a major advertiser on X, has pulled its spending from the social media platform, whose employees are grappling with what to tell its other advertisers, according to internal messages.

+++

So, it turns out that Musk endorses the antisemitic 'replacement theory' that Jews are behind the recent immigration crises (recall neo-Nazis in Charlottsville, who chanted "Jews will not replace us"), which has freaked out major advertisers such that he is further tanking Twitter/X. Can't say I feel even the tiniest bit bad for the guy, since it doesn't take a lot of brain cells to see that endorsing racist lunacy is evil, as well as being bad for business. Cause, meet effect.

I guess he has said it wasn't his "intent" to endorse anything antisemitic--though in the same interview he accused companies pulling their advertisements from Twitter of "blackmail", that it would be their fault Twitter dies (refusing to accept responsibility for his own words and actions), and then repeatedly told advertisers to go expletive themselves.

It really seems like he's trying to kill Twitter, pass the blame, and then, I don't know, just shoot himself in the foot over and over?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I guess he has said it wasn't his "intent" to endorse anything antisemitic--though in the same interview he accused companies pulling their advertisements from Twitter of "blackmail", that it would be their fault Twitter dies (refusing to accept responsibility for his own words and actions), and then repeatedly told advertisers to go expletive themselves.

It really seems like he's trying to kill Twitter, pass the blame, and then, I don't know, just shoot himself in the foot over and over?

-CryptoLutheran
More proof that he does not understand social media. Customers deciding they do not want to buy what you have to offer is not blackmail, it's simple supply and demand. But he doesn't seem to realize that the product Twitter offers is advertising space and that the environment is going to dictate who wants to advertise there.

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0