Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Her writing style is curious as well. She loves to show off her writing prose but really says very little. Like someone that takes forever to get to the point. How she could start a religion is beyond belief. Can't people read and see she is just storytelling?

Clearly you never read "Desire of Ages", "Story of Redemption" or "Great Controversy". So you are speaking out of the void of what you have not read when it comes to the content of her books. But I say "why go there?" why start with "things Ellen White wrote" -- when step 1 is always "what does the denomination teach and .. is it in harmony with scripture?"

If the Bible says A, B and C you don't add D, E and F! You stick with A, B and C.

Tell that to the NT writers.

No prophet of scripture confined their words to "nothing more than paraphrasing prior prophets"

1. No OT prophet predicted that the Holy Spirit would appear as a dove and land on Christ at His baptism - but John the baptizer did ...anyway.
2. No OT prophet spoke of a 1000 year millennium between the second coming of Christ and the Great White Throne judgment - but John does in Rev 20.
3. No OT prophet spoke of 7 plagues before the appearing of Christ - but we see it in Rev 16 "anyway".
4. No OT prophet spoke of the mark of the beast at the end of time - but we see it in Rev 13 -- anyway.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is there any Christian on the planet that doesn't believe this? Its pretty general and basic. Keep in mind all false teachers always describe their group with very unspecific language when introducing themselves to the world. That way they seem non-threatening.

All Bible approved prophets make statements in harmony with scripture - making such statements is not some sort of odd "sign" that they are in error.

What you should talk about is why some Christians disagree with the Adventists: On what topics, on what they often misunderstand about Adventism or how Adventists believe they have misinterpreted the Bible.

Indeed - that is my "sola scriptura and Seventh-day Adventist" thread.

Seventh-day Adventists affirm "sola scriptura testing" AND The 1Cor 12 gift of prophecy

Specifically designed for that discussion instead of yet-another "all Ellen White all the time" thread. No doubt the x-sda "all-Ellen-White" folks flood that thread with "more Ellen White unpublished private-letters posts" -- but I object to such short-sighted tactics. I prefer comparing Bible doctrine to what the statement of beliefs actually say.

Which is the very point you are making.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟258,241.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
All Bible approved prophets make statements in harmony with scripture - making such statements is not some sort of odd "sign" that they are in error.

Indeed - that is my "sola scriptura and Seventh-day Adventist" thread.

Seventh-day Adventists affirm "sola scriptura testing" AND The 1Cor 12 gift of prophecy

Specifically designed for that discussion instead of yet-another "all Ellen White all the time" thread. No doubt the x-sda "all-Ellen-White" folks flood that thread with "more Ellen White unpublished private-letters posts" -- but I object to such short-sighted tactics. I prefer comparing Bible doctrine to what the statement of beliefs actually say.

Which is the very point you are making.
I admire your position and your stance. Let us compare Bible doctrine to what the statement of beliefs actually say. It shows that you desire truth. The SDA puts out statement of beliefs which should be used for discussion rather than looking for something in Ellen Whites words that most likely has already been reviewed by the leaders of SDA. You have a voice of reason Bob. It is a model of behavior for all of us in the denomination specific theology section.
We can discuss Ellen White’s words here, but we should allow the SDA to state their position on those words

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow - I wasn't expecting that. Here are my responses.

> Well first the Bible was written and canonized by the Catholic Church.

The word Catholic isn't even in the Bible. You don't find that significant? Don't make stuff up.

> You are Peter and on this rock I will build my Church. Jesus gave Peter the keys of kingdom of heaven. Jesus did not say I will write my book, but build my Church.

So? What relevance does that have with Catholics? You do realize Peter probably didn't even go to Rome? There's no mention of that in the Bible. So he probably didn't even go. Catholics just make stuff up. If you think he did show us the proof in the Bible. I cannot believe it wouldn't be mentioned in the Bible if he did. It would be just too important, especially with all of Paul's adventures getting there. You can see Rome was a very significant place back then.

> If all we had was a book, we would have the thousands of denominations we have now, because man is disobedient. Christ founded a Church not a book in order to establish authority, and He promised the gates of hell would not prevail against it.

But a church has to have guidelines and that comes from scripture. He didn't call the church back then Catholic, did he? That was more made up stuff from Catholics.

> Second, Mary is the first Christian because we say Christ in you, the hope of glory.

That's a ridiculous insinuation to any literate person that has read the Bible. You and your idolization of Mary. Unbelievable. Its sinful to idolize any person. Ever. ALL HAVE SINNED AND COME SHORT OF THE GLORY OF GOD. You do know the definition of "all" don't you? Every person that ever lived. That includes your idol Mary.

> She was the first person to literally have Christ in her, and the babe John the Baptist lept for joy when she approached Elizabeth.

That's because of Jesus, not Mary! More absurd Catholic insinuation.

> The Hail Mary is taken directly from the Bible in the Gospel of Luke. Gabriel says Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee, and Elizabeth cries out blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb.

Actually the real quote is " Hail, thou grace-endued, the Lord is with thee." So much for your claim. More Catholic fiction. Nice try.

> Elizabeth calls her the mother of my Lord.

Well of course she was his biological mother. Don't try to inject things into scripture. Focus on Jesus, not Mary. That's the point. Note that mother is not capitalized and Lord is. Hint hint hint.

> Mary is preserved sinless by the grace of God, as Gabriel calls her full of grace.

Unbelievable that any person that can read a Bible can make such an untrue claim. Being full of grace in no way makes you sinless. More Catholic fiction. Or....show me one place in the Bible that proves that wrong. That claims Mary is sinless. One place. (This should be interesting.)

> She possesses the full measure of God’s grace according to the Bible.

I don't even know what you're trying to say. Where is that in the Bible? She's "blessed among women". So were lots of women. So were lots of men.

> Is it your contention that God’s grace is insufficient to save us from sin?

Of course its the only thing we need. Absolutely.

> She calls God her savior because it is by His grace that she is preserved sinless, not by her own nature. She is full of grace.

First of all she is not "preserved sinless". Prove me wrong: Where in the Bible does it claim she was sinless? Now of course as believers everyone's sin is taken away. But that again doesn't put Mary on another level. She sins like all of us. (Prove that wrong.) Before I mentioned how its rather odd that if Mary was so important to you Catholics don't you find it odd she is not even mentioned from the water to wine incident to the crucifixion? You ignored that question. Don't ignore questions. Its disrespectful.

> She also shows her perpetual virginity by her words to Gabriel.

Where in the Bible does it claim anything about "perpetual virginity"? She had children with Joseph after Jesus! How does that happen when you're a virgin?

> If she had been planning on having children with Joseph, she would have been overjoyed at Gabriel’s words.

Are you really serious? You think she was contemplating getting married to Joseph and NOT having children? Nearly everyone back then had children or certainly tried to. Is there social security! Are you really serious? So if that was true why did she have several children after Jesus? Please clarify.

> Joseph and I will bear a king? She did not say that because she made a vow of virginity, how can these things be since I know not a man?

Of course she was a virgin. Probably 99% of the unmarried women of that day were virgins. What's your point? She was asking how she can get pregnant without being with a man. That's a rather natural question, don't you think? What's your point?

> If you really want to contend that she had children with Joseph, you would have to go outside the Bible, as no verse says and Joseph knew his wife and she bore him children.

It says that Jesus had brothers and sisters. Everyone agrees on that. If Catholics don't they truly are living in an alternate universe.
What were the names of jesus brothers and sisters

Jesus had five brothers, namely, James (Ya’qov), Simon (Shim’on), Judah ( Yehudah ), Joses ( Yosef ) and Thomas (Toma’). And he also had two sisters , Rachel (Rakhel) and Lea (Le’ah).

Matthew 12:46 While he was yet speaking to the crowds, lo, his mother and his brethren stood without, seeking to speak to him.

Luke 8:19 Then his mother and his brothers came to him, but they could not reach him because of the crowd.

Mark 3:31 And his mother and his brothers came, and standing outside they sent to him and called him.

Matthew 13:55 Is not this the carpenter’s son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?

I didn't realize Catholics have this bizarre belief that these weren't actual brothers of Jesus. Unbelievable. Its like Catholicism is made up of completely illiterate people that can't read their Bible. How else can you explain such bizarre interpretations of multiple Biblical passages? I don't even understand the point of elevating Mary. No one in the Bible prayed to her, did they? That's pretty significant. Then along comes some bizarre sect that idolizes her. And people actually follow it - because THEY DON'T READ THEIR BIBLE. Remember it says "Study to show thyself approved". I bet God was tempted to say "because those Catholics are going to come along and try to twist and distort The Word so watch out!". :) Seriously though. This is a serious lack of reading skill demonstrated.

> If that were true, who committed adultery? Was it God by having a child with another man’s wife, or was it Joseph that had children with God’s wife? You can see that position is biblically untenable.

God's wife? Where in the world did you get that from? I sure haven't read that in my Bible. More fiction no doubt.
She was a virgin before Jesus. After Jesus she had children with Joseph. What is your issue? Clarify please. (I wrote that before realizing this is a Catholic thing - that Mary was a virgin til her death I guess.)

> We believe Jesus is fully God and fully human. Neither the Trinity nor the hypostatic union appear in scripture alone, but were developed by Church councils. Do you believe in the Trinity and the hypostatic Union? Then it is easy to call Mary the mother of God, as the baby in her was God, and she was His mother.

Oh please. She bear the Holy Spirit's impregnation.
Jesus said I and the Father are one. Very clear. Its also clear the Holy Spirit is on the same plane. Are they a Trinity? I don't know and I don't think about it because to me we have 3 areas of guidance, wisdom, strength and general help. 3 is great. I'm very appreciative of all 3. To me God the Father represents foundational integrity, law, structure. Jesus represents forgiveness, hope and the future. The Holy Spirit represents blessings, gifts and inspiration. Combine all of those and you have quite a wonderful life. A life founded on the actual Bible, not fictional interpretations of it.

> There is no biblical inconsistency in Catholic teaching, thoughts or actions.

LOL...I would say its absolute fantasy from start to finish. Your words here just confirm it. But hey, I asked questions for clarification so let's see what your responses will be. Please stick to the questions asked. You've avoided many because you know there was no Biblical backing for your claims. Don't ignore questions. Its rude and disrespectful. And its not the way to conduct a discussion. And you know it.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
yes, I agree and will limit discussion in this thread to Ellen White

That should be a really short thread! How about "She makes stuff up". The end. :) Back to the Bible we go. It gets much better there.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The word Catholic isn't even in the Bible. You don't find that significant? Don't make stuff up.

The word Catholic is in the Nicene Creed, the Statement of Faith for this website, used in the sense of One Holy Apostolic and Catholic (Universal, According to the Whole) Church, which was the name of the church from which the Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican, Calvinist, Methodist, Baptist, Quaker, Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox churches are descended from. And Nicene Christians confess belief in that Church, although there are different ecclesiologiee, or theological views of what that church is (the three most popular being that it is an invisible Church of all Christian faithful, that it is a specific visible Church like the Roman Catholic, and that it is the local church (this view is most popular among Baptists and in my Congregationalist heritage). This church, described in Matthew 16, included the apostles and evangelists who wrote the New Testament and the Early Church Fathers who defined the canon, such as Irenaeus of Lyons, who declared only four Gospels were authentic, and Athanasius of Alexandria who defined the 27 book New Testament Canon.

Also, very few members on Christian Forums “make stuff up.” Just because we disagree with a religious belief does not mean those who hold it are being dishonest.

Lastly, the Perpetual Virginity of Mary was believed by Martin Luther, John Calvin, Thomas Cranmer and John Wesley. The word the KJV translates as brothers in seeming contradiction to this can also be translated as brethren.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me, are you saying the writings of Ellen White are the words of God?
Sorry, are you saying that God does not give His Church spiritual gifts and one of them is prophecy and that God dose not send His people prophets? *1 Corinthians 12:1-12

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Forgive me are you saying that God does not give His Church spiritual gifts and one of them being prophecy? *1 Corinthians 12:1-12

So the words of Ellen White are as authoritative as those in the Bible?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
So the words of Ellen White are as authoritative as those in the Bible?
Ellen White only pointed everyone to the bible, not herself. What do you think the role of a prophet in the Church is? Do you know?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
What is the role of a prophet in the Church? Do you know?

I have a doctrinal view, but what is your view? And also, are the writings of Ellen White as authoritative as the canonical Bible?

And, also, on this point, I wanted to ask you from the other thread, who is more important to the faith, the Virgin Mary or Ellen White?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I have a doctrinal view, but what is your view? And also, are the writings of Ellen White as authoritative as the canonical Bible?

And, also, on this point, I wanted to ask you from the other thread, who is more important to the faith, the Virgin Mary or Ellen White?

If you refuse to answer my questions what makes you think I have time to answer yours? You know I love Gods' Word. Let's talk scripture please.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
By the way I just realized that I was posting in this thread and not that on Mary; @LoveGodsWord for the record I think the title of this thread is not properly respectful towards Ellen White, and I wish to disavow it.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
If you refuse to answer my questions what makes you think I have time to answer yours? You know I love Gods' Word. Let's talk scripture please.

Lets talk scripture in the other thread thad has a less offensive title, but I don’t have time now as I need to finish preparing two Christmas Eve services, a Christmas day service and one for Sunday.

• Agree
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Lets talk scripture in the other thread thad has a less offensive title, but I don’t have time now as I need to finish preparing two Christmas Eve services, a Christmas day service and one for Sunday.
Ok no problem. Let me know when your ready.

Take Care.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for confirming that the Catholic is not in the Bible. You can blab on and on about different Christian organizations and the myriad of interpretations out there but I prefer to go to the source. The Bible. And in the Bible its very clear that our focus should be on:
God the Father
Jesus Christ the Son
The Holy Spirit
Because when we read the Bible that is exactly the focus of everyone in it. Well, everyone that was approved of God.
These are who guide us.
These are who we pray to.
These are who we give thanks and praise to.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
By the way I just realized that I was posting in this thread and not that on Mary; @LoveGodsWord for the record I think the title of this thread is not properly respectful towards Ellen White, and I wish to disavow it.

Anyone that adds or takes away from the Bible should be disavowed. And Ellen does that everywhere in her writing. She must have had an immense ego. Her writing drips of it. Decorative and expressive yet lacking real content. I find it bewildering how anyone can take her seriously. Its like reading the writings of a teenager who is very good at English, but, because of a lack of life experience, has precious little to say. And because of that she embellishes the Bible passages she comments on, instead of analyzing them for what they are, she inserts more so she has more to work with. She has got to be the pinnacle of the truth of 1 Timothy 2:12.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,214.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
> Ellen White only pointed everyone to the bible, not herself.

I have no doubt she was an earnest believer and tried in her own way. The problem is nobody seemed to correct her, or, what is far more likely, she probably didn't listen to those attempting to correct her at the time and her husband was probably too spineless to lead in the home. The problem is she added a lot more than what was in the Bible. And that's dangerous territory. That's why we are sternly warned against it. Its the last thing told us in the Bible. Its probably important! But look at history and you'll see almost every denomination does just that to get what they want from society at that time. The Catholics are not the only ones guilty of this. Almost all are. That's why our only protection against false teaching is the Word itself. Everything has to come from that. People just make too many mistakes to trust them implicitly.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have no doubt she was an earnest believer and tried in her own way. The problem is nobody seemed to correct her, or, what is far more likely, she probably didn't listen to those attempting to correct her at the time and her husband was probably too spineless to lead in the home.

That ^ is speculation, but what we do know is that there were quite a few devotees who considered her utterances to be prophesy or remarkable insights, etc. and who treated her that way.

Upvote 0