Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think education is a good thing and it certianly impresses me if a guy has the same or higher of an education than I do. But, it 's not a requirement. I value intellegence and I've met and talked with many intelligent people who never went to college at all. It depends on the person they are now, I guess. It depends on if I can relate to them and enjoy them as a person.

Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think it depends on what you mean by "education." I don't value college education either as a positive or negative thing generally, and would tend toward being wary of those who have degrees from many of the more famous, prestegious colleges, because it's so difficult to retain a Christian worldview at those places. A lot of Christian colleges might be a strike against a guy as well, though it's harder to express why - seminary would be a good thing, however. There are some colleges that I would be excited to hear someone had gone to, mostly small liberal arts/Western Civ. ones, like St John's.

But none of that is super important - the thing that really matters is that a person is excited about knowing and learning stuff, and can carry on an intellegent conversation. That's pretty true of friendships as well.

From an essay I wrote earlier this semester:

"Each man is responsible for educating himself. It is a creative act; that of creating a Self, nurturing a mind, forming an intellect. A slow growth, and rarely realized in full. How many would dare say of himself: "I am an educated man" upon leaving a school or college? Education relies on taking what we can from teachers, from books, from life, and leaving the rest where we found it. We build up knowledge; slowly and patiently, or in sudden bursts of illumination Somewhere along the way knowledge blossoms into understanding, and occasionally completes itself in wisdom. This is education."

In that sense education is very important to everyone.

Not sure if that answered your question though :)

Upvote 0

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Its important (because he does have to make enough to provide for a family and SAHM so we're talking at least a HS diploma and some type of certification) but not a priority. Just as long as he isn't insecure by the fact that I make more than he does, it shouldn't be an issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Weasel7711

I'm in love with a bunnymedic!
Jun 17, 2004
Virginia Beach
Visit site
✟13,220.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When dating someone or thinking about a future partner... how important is it for that person to have the same amount of education as (or even more than) yourself? Is that a priority of yours in any way?

If it was a priority to someone, what would you think?
not important, just a high school diploma

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟383,849.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As long as she is reasonably intelligent and kind, it doesn't matter what her formal education is. If she has a PhD, that's cool, but she'd better not lord her 'brilliance' over me... especially if she's demonstrably less intelligent than myself. Otherwise, I will probably drive her crazy by poking holes in her logic. Nothing personal, just my gut reaction to intellectual arrogance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Braticus

Mrs. Marbzz
Nov 30, 2006
Canada
✟21,041.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Education is good, but that doesn't mean that it has to be bought and paid for. Going to the library and reading up on things that interest you is just as good. There are plenty of people that have graduated from University with something and have little interpersonal skills too. Just as long as he has a stable job, I'm ok without education. But I don't want to be told that I don't need one...cuz I really want it, and I'm working hard for it.

Upvote 0

Tuffguy

Speed Racer
Jun 2, 2004
Farmington, CT
Visit site
✟4,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Motivation and intelligence is very important to me. Usually, this manefests itself in education these days. If she had her own business and was working her tail off at it, even though she had 0 education, i would have alot of respect for that.
I would be very turned off if a girl was to say that she has been a casheir for the last 10 years. Whats the reason for that? Education is cheap and very available these days.

I will expect alot out of my future wife. She will need to be able to run the home and probally work part time in a professional job. In order to do that, she will have to be very hard working and intelligent. I have very little patience for giving advice on things that i think are common sense. I can't date some idiot! She needs to have her stuff together and be 100% independant in order to cut it around me. I expect her to make big, good decisions without even talking to me about them. I can't be one of those guys that has a good career and babysits his wife at home/work through the phone. My whole life i've laughed at those guys.

I don't expect anything more than i offer myself, except that she has to be alot nicer. LOL

Upvote 0

2scoops

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear
May 19, 2004
Dayton, OH
✟11,851.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Education is of little importance to me. I'm not going to say to someone, I'm not going to love you because you don't a have a collage degree. That has nothing to do with their intelligence and their ability to love me back. I would like them to be interested in God and seeking His wisdom, much more important to me. The person I love the most was a carpenter, but was highly intelligent, caring and compassionate.

Upvote 0

plum

my thoughts are free
Nov 30, 2003
✟48,380.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I value education highly as a sign that someone has dreams and goals and wants to achieve them. someone can go without higher education and still have those aspirations (or get all the schooling they want and still have no drive)... but it's a fairly good signifier of someone's ability to stick with something and follow through. I also value a level of conversation that more readily comes from a man who has been through some levels of higher education.

My last BF had his Associates degree in Journalism and that was fine with me. He dreamed of finishing at least one more degree and I supported him in that. I was turned on by his mind as it naturally was. It would only make it more fascinating if he finished school and achieved his goals.

So for me it's not about a requirement for dating... it's about how connected intellectually I feel with someone--how fascinating they are to me. Granted, someone without any schooling can be more fascinating then someone with a Ph.D. It's all a matter of one-on-one experience and how we connect.

Upvote 0