United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Economists agree: Trump, not Obama, gets credit for economy

Why would Trump rate higher than Obama with this group? Economists point to the upturn in business confidence that accompanied Trump’s election, and tie that to increasing business investment. Spending on capital goods accelerated sharply over the first three quarters of last year, growing at an annualized rate of 6.2 percent.

Such outlays will spur productivity gains and lead to wage hikes, creating a virtuous circle complete with rising consumer confidence and spending.

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Because it's just an opinion piece from a conservative propaganda site.

I got to be honest here. Trump does seem to have helped push the stock market to where it's at by deregulation and pushing the tax bill. It's gone up about 50% since he was elected. However.... I still think it's too fast. I think a few bad reports and it's going to blow up. And then...

Well...
If it hasn't done anything bad in the next year, I'll freely admit that Trump is right. But I fully expect the other side to admit to it if it does crash.

Upvote 0

Enfeoffment75

Dec 28, 2017
Seattle
✟18,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Economists agree: Trump, not Obama, gets credit for economy

Why would Trump rate higher than Obama with this group? Economists point to the upturn in business confidence that accompanied Trump’s election, and tie that to increasing business investment. Spending on capital goods accelerated sharply over the first three quarters of last year, growing at an annualized rate of 6.2 percent.

Such outlays will spur productivity gains and lead to wage hikes, creating a virtuous circle complete with rising consumer confidence and spending.

This is all well and good except that the uptick in the economy in general and stock market in particular STARTED under Obama. Not a lot of Republicans can remember back more than a year ago, but I do and I remember seeing DJIA start hitting records in the Obama administration.

Oh yeah and I might add that before the Obama administration started the US was heading at full-bore for an outright major depression. My folks lived through the Great Depression and from what I understood the last 9 or so years have not been that bad.

So give credit where it is due all around. (NOT THAT EITHER President, Obama or Trump, will oversee a return to middle class wage growth...that's in the hands of the 1% and they don't want that).

Upvote 0

Enfeoffment75

Dec 28, 2017
Seattle
✟18,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I got to be honest here. Trump does seem to have helped push the stock market to where it's at by deregulation and pushing the tax bill. It's gone up about 50% since he was elected. However.... I still think it's too fast. I think a few bad reports and it's going to blow up. And then...

Well...
If it hasn't done anything bad in the next year, I'll freely admit that Trump is right. But I fully expect the other side to admit to it if it does crash.

That's my biggest fear. I'm only about 11 years out from my retirement and my 401k is struggling to catch up to where I should be. Yeah it's good now, but since I'm not a 1%er I'm going to be the kind of person who takes it all in the shorts when the inevitable "correction" happens.

But that is our lot in life: to be the fodder for the wealthy to play their money games.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I got to be honest here. Trump does seem to have helped push the stock market to where it's at by deregulation and pushing the tax bill. It's gone up about 50% since he was elected.

Actually, about 25% ...

The DOW was about 20,000 when Trump took office. Now it's about 5,000 points higher.

And it all is based on the Tax Cut, and other Trump-inspired business helps. And it was good for a short-term boost. But who knows what the ultimate effect to the economy will be ?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because it's just an opinion piece from a conservative propaganda site.

Just an FYI, I didn’t ask that question, it is directly from the article.

And stats show 90% of wage earners are getting a tax break.

It’s trickling in all of us.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

FYI, I answered it.
FYI, if you click the "+" button, then the "quote" menu option, it adds the tags for you.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Actually, about 25% ...

The DOW was about 20,000 when Trump took office. Now it's about 5,000 points higher.

And it all is based on the Tax Cut, and other Trump-inspired business helps. And it was good for a short-term boost. But who knows what the ultimate effect to the economy will be ?

Since he took office, yes, but since he was elected it's like 46%.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

But at what cost? A bigger debt and not much growth in the economy.

And a higher stock market is not growing the economy.

• Winner
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

A trickle is supposed to be the result of the tax cuts causing more jobs with higher earnings. So far the bonuses and raises seem the result of downsizing and shifting money around. That’s good for those not laid off. A lower tax rate doesn’t help someone without a job.
Edit: I’d like to see the original but the link to WSK did not work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A trickle is supposed to be the result of the tax cuts causing more jobs with higher earnings. So far the bonuses and raises seem the result of downsizing and shifting money around. That’s good for those not laid off. A lower tax rate doesn’t help someone without a job.
Edit: I’d like to see the original but the link to WSK did not work.

Incorrect. I posted almost 100 companies that were crediting the tax for bonuses, raising wages and passing savings to customers.

The economy is booming
Taxes are lower and increasing business and middle class take home
Companies are investing in people and facilities
The stock market is higher than ever
Unemployment is at a 17 year low
Consumer confidence is at an all time high
Studies show that 90% of income earners will benefit from the tax cuts

The only ones not applauding it are the Democrats and the media.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist

Well...

Really? You expect the other side to admit to it if it does crash? Have you been listening to the other side at all?

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And a higher stock market is not growing the economy.

???

The stock market is not some funny sets of investments. It is the sum total of the value of projected dividends and growth. Of course, the stock market does not grow the economy. The growth in the market is a predictor of growth in the economy.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The top always do well. Death, taxes, and the top 1% win.

Yes, the top 1% win.

It does NOT follow that the 99% lose. Whether the 99% win or lose is a consequence of governmental policy. 90% will likely get a tax break. Democrats declare that they are losers because the 1% will get a bigger tax break, and because the growth rate in services MIGHT be decreased in the future compared to the projected rates of increase under Democrats.

That type analysis will win lost of House seats for the Republicans.

Upvote 0