Jan 22, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tell the readers of this forum, please: is the following command a divine truth or not?

Do unto all men as you would they should do unto you.

Absolutely NOT!!! Nice trick, but the deceitfulness in you is not greater than He who is within me (John 4:4). A Masonic pastor can never fool a Spirit-filled believer. Your quote comes from Islam, but you deliberately left out part of it, because YOU KNEW in context it would change the entire meaning of the phrase:

"Do unto all men as you would they should do unto you, and reject for them that which you would reject for yourself." (Mishkat-el-Masabih)

Muslims reject the Deity of Jesus Christ and the fact that He is the Son of God; which says a lot about how they apply this verse. They also reject non-Muslims, calling them "infidels" and often mistreat them or kill them. Their version of the "Golden Rule" applies to Muslims only.

But here's my question:

Tell the readers of this forum, please: are the following divine truth or not?

BAHA'U'LLAH:

"O son of man! If thine eyes be turned towards mercy, forsake the things that profit thee and cleave unto that which will profit mankind. And if thine eyes be turned towards justice, choose thou for thy neighbour that which thou choosest for thyself." (Baha'u'llah, The third Leaf of the Most Exalted Paradise, Tablets, p. 64)

BUDDHISM:

"Hurt not others with that which pains yourself or in ways that you yourself would find hurtful. One should seek for others the happiness one desires for one's self" (Udana-Varqa, 5:18)

HINDUISM:

"This is the sum of duty: do naught unto others that which would cause pain if done unto you." (Mahabharata 5:1517)

"Do not to others what ye do not wish done to yourself; and wish for others too, what ye desire and long for, for yourself. This is the whole of Dharma, heed it well." (The Celestial Song, 2:65)

ZOROASTRIANISM:

"That nature ONLY is good when it shall NOT DO unto another whatever is not good for its own self." (Dadistan-i-Dinik, 94:5)

"Whatsoever is disagreeable to yourself do not do unto others." (Shayast-na-Shayast 13:29)

That which is good for all and any one, for whomsoever - that is good for me. What I hold good for self, I should for all. Only Law Universal, is true Law." (Zoroaster, Yasana-Gathas)

JAINIST:

"A man should wander about treating all creatures as he himself would be treated." (Sutrakritanga 1.11.33)

SIKH:

"Precious like jewels are the minds of all. To hurt them is not at all good. If thou desirest thy Beloved, then hurt thou not anyone's heart." (Guru Aranj Devji 259, Guru Granth Sahib)

CONFUCIANISM:

"Do not unto others what you would not have them do unto you." (Analects, 15:23)

"If one strives to treat others as he would be treated by them, he will come near the perfect life." (Book of Meng Tzu)

WESTERN SCHOOLS:

"What you wish your neighbors to be to you, such be also to them." (Pythagorean)

"We should conduct ourselves toward others as we would have them act toward us." (Aristotle, from Plato and Socrates)

"Avoid doing what you would blame others for doing." (Thales)

"Do not to your neighbor what you would take ill from him." (Pittacus)

"Cherish reciprocal benevolence, which will make you as anxious for another's welfare as your own" (Aristippus of Cyrene).

"Act toward others as you desire them to act toward you" (Isocrates)

TAO:

"Pity the misfortunes of others; rejoice in the well-being of others; help those who are in want; save men in danger; rejoice at the success of others; and sympathise with their reverses, even as though YOU WERE in their place."

"The sage has no interests of his own, but regards the interests of the people as his own. He is kind to the kind, he is also kind to the unkind: for virtue is kind."(T'ai Shang Kan Ying P'ien)

NATIVE AMERICAN:

"Love your friend and never desert him. If you see him surrounded by the enemy do not run away; go to him, and if you cannot save him, be killed together and let your bones lie side by side." (Sur-AR-Ale-Shar, The Lessons of the Lone Chief)

"Do not kill or injure your neighbor, for it is not him that you injure, you injure yourself. But do good to him, therefore add to his days of happiness as you add to your own. Do not wrong or hate your neighbor, for it is not him that you wrong, you wrong yourself. But love him, for The Great Spirit (Moneto) loves him also as he loves you." (Shawnee)

"Respect for all life is the foundation." (The Great Law of Peace)

AFRICAN TRADITIONAL RELIGION:

"A SAGE is ingenuous and leads his life after comprehending the parity of the killed and the killer. THEREFORE, neither does he cause violence to others nor does he make others do so." (Yoruba Proverb, Nigeria)

"One going to take a pointed stick to pinch a baby bird should first try it on himself to feel how it hurts." (Yoruba Proverb, Nigeria)

ISLAM:

"Not one of you is a believer until he desires for another that which he desires for himself." (Muhammad, 40 Hadith of an-Nawawi 13)

"Do unto all men as you would they should do unto you, and reject for them that which you would reject for yourself." (Mishkat-el-Masabih)

JUDAISM:

"What is hateful to you, DO NOT to your fellow man. That is the law: all the rest is commentary." (Talmud, Shabbat 31a)

"Thou shalt LOVE thy neighbor as thyself: I am the LORD." (Moses, Leviticus 19:18)

BAHA'I WORLD FAITH:

"Blessed is he who preferreth his brother before himself." (Baha'u'llah, Tablets, p. 71)

"Lay not on any soul a load which ye would not wish to be laid on you, and desire not for any one the things ye would not desire for yourselves." (Baha'u'llah, Gleanings LXVI, p. 128)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Simplicity + Sincerity = Serenity
Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely NOT!!!

Then in essence you're saying Jesus spoke something that was not divine truth, because the gist of it is absolutely NO DIFFERENT. There are quite a number of ways it may be said, but it remains the same truth, no matter what context or where stated:

In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you

All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them

Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them.

Always treat others as you would like them to treat you.

Therefore all things whatever ye desire that men should do to you, thus do ye also do to them

Therefore whatever you desire for men to do to you, you shall also do to them

Do the things for others that you would like for them to do for you.

Do for others what you want them to do for you.

Whatever you would have people do for you, do the same for them.

Treat other people exactly as you would like to be treated by them.

All things, therefore, whatever ye may will that men may be doing to you, so also do to them.

πάντα οὖν ὅσα ἐὰν θέλητε ἵνα ποιῶσιν ὑμῖν οἱἄνθρωποι, οὕτως καὶ ὑμεῖς ποιεῖτε αὐτοῖς

omnia ergo quaecumque vultis ut faciant vobis homines et vos facite eis haec

Por eso, todo cuanto quieran que los hombres les hagan, así también hagan ustedes con ellos

Tout ce que vous voulez que les hommes fassent pour vous, faites-le de même pour eux

Ciò che volete gli uomini facciano a voi, anche voi fatelo a loro.

Постапувајте со луѓето онака, како што сакате тие да постапуваат со вас!

Wilt u dat anderen goed voor u zijn? Wees dan zelf ook goed voor hen.

Správajte sa k ľuďom tak, ako chcete, aby sa správali oni k vám.

Alles nun, was ihr wollt, daß euch die Leute tun sollen, das tut ihr ihnen auch

所以,无论何事,你们愿意人怎样待你们,你们也要怎样待人,因为这就是律法和先知的道理。

Do to others as you would have them do to you.

And as you would like and desire that men would do to you, do exactly so to them.

Treat people in the same way that you want them to treat you.

Treat others just as you want to be treated.

And as you would that men should do to you, do you also to them in like manner.

Do for other people everything you want them to do for you.

Do for others just what you want them to do for you.

Just as you want others to do for you, do the same for them.

And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

A Masonic pastor can never fool a Spirit-filled believer.

I'm not a "Masonic pastor," I am a Christian pastor--and a Spirit-filled one. I am a pastor by divine calling of God, acknowledged and confirmed by the blessing and ordination of the church. So you might as well face the fact, you aren't going to fool me either. Especially with THIS:

Your quote comes from Islam, but you deliberately left out part of it

I did not "leave out" anything, for I was not "quoting Islam." You mean you actually found somewhere that MATCHED what I posted? Amazing. But that only illustrates further what I've already stated, that it's the same truth, and you can put it anywhere else you wish, but the truth of what it says will not change. The many varieties shown above, even within the one language of English, illustrates that fact. I'm not surprised, that with all the many ways this divine truth can be expressed in the English language, that what I extemporaneously posted, you would find a match for it SOMEWHERE.

And since Jesus taught it as a truth, it most certainly IS a divine truth.

Truth is not truth because of time, or circumstances, or location, or specific wording, or any other such thing. Truth is truth because of its MEANING. And the meaning of ALL these statements above, whether the English variants, or other language translations, is the SAME!

Why you would go to such great lengths to declare that what Jesus stated is NOT divine truth, I can't imagine. I really thought you were more familiar with the teachings of the Christian faith than that.

Muslims reject the Deity of Jesus Christ and the fact that He is the Son of God; which says a lot about how they apply this verse. They also reject non-Muslims, calling them "infidels" and often mistreat them or kill them. Their version of the "Golden Rule" applies to Muslims only.

Fine commentary, I'm sure, but it has nothing to do with anything I posted. You pulled this from somewhere that I did not.

And did you even bother to check out your source and find out what "Mishkat-el-Masabih" is? Apparently it's not Quran and thus not a "Muslim holy book" at all, it's what is referred to as "hadith." Although there are some Sunni Muslims who highly regard it, there are as many or more Muslims who will tell you, that if what it speaks does not appear anywhere in the Quran, it is a false hadith.

To sum up: What conclusions can we reach, given this sophmoric attempt at discreditation?

(1) It's very appparent that not only is your claim that I "quoted it from Islam" a false one, it's also pretty lame--since it's abundantly clear that you weren't exactly "quoting Islam" either.

(2) Since this discussion, which began between Alex and myself, was begun in the context of "other VSL's of Freemasonry," it's even more clear just how bogus an attempt this is. "Mishkat-el-Masabih" does not rest on any Masonic altar anywhere in the world, nor is it on any Grand Lodge list anywhere, of VSL's that are considered acceptable for use within their jurisdiction.

And all I can say about your attempted "Muslim" substitution is, nice try, but unfortunately straw man arguments are not valid. I can't believe you would attempt such a false claim about what I posted, solely in an effort to try to discredit me, and I find it even more appalling that you continut to try to deny the divine truth of what Jesus said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skip Sampson

Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
✟9,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some thoughts:
1) Divine truths come from God, who was there at the beginning. Anything Jesus said in the Bible, he had also said from the beginning. The issue of 'do unto others...' is a timeless one, and has been used by many different religions. It shouldn't be surprising that this occurs, as all mankind has been exposed to God's truths, if not by personal revelation, then by nature itself. But it didn't originate with the Bible; rather, it was present from the beginning, as is all divine truth, and thus mankind was aware of it from the days of Adam.

2) The use of a divine truth by a false religion or book is more an example of false advertising or plaigerism. That the Book of Mormon has over 25,000 words from the KJV does not make it divinely inspired, nor can the verses copied be claimed to be divinely inspired, though Mormons do indeed attempt to do so. The 'do unto others...' comment, when used in such a Book, loses its divine inspiration because its author is not under divine inspiration, and his motives wrong. Such words then fall under the 'bait & switch' category.

3) Can we separate divine truths into prioritized categories? Those that speak to the relationship of God to man are surely separate from those speak to the relationship of man to man. Certainly the former are of eternal consequence while the latter are not. Perhaps the books which masonry classifies as 'VSL' must be judged on their adherence to all divine truths, not just a subset of them. The Bible, being completely written under the inspiration of God, cannot be equated to the Koran, which was not. That there are commonalities between them is completely irrelevant due to the inspirations of their authors. God's inspiration is to bring men to him; Muhammad's was to deceive. We cannot claim a book contains divine inspiration unless all its content is divinely inspired. The Book of Mormon, then, can only point to the Bible as its source of divinely inspired truth, but cannot in and of itself be classified as divinely inspired.

4) How are divine truths different from the natural rights of man, as both are given by God? Does a government protecting those rights claim to be divinely-led?

Comments, please. Cordially, Skip.

Upvote 0

Skip Sampson

Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
✟9,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wayne:
It appears that you have decided not to answer the questions posed in my posts 14 and 26. That's fine, but in so doing you have lost all credibility in demanding others answer your questions. I also see it as a matter of intellectual cowardice. Cordially, Skip.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wayne:
It appears that you have decided not to answer the questions posed in my posts 14 and 26. That's fine, but in so doing you have lost all credibility in demanding others answer your questions. I also see it as a matter of intellectual cowardice. Cordially, Skip.
thanks for ringing in "as you see it." I'm reminded that you also see it as Jacob's Staircase, rectangular cubes, authoritative picture "statements," imaginary phone calls, topics addressed two weeks before they post, and Grand Secretaries contacting themselves for rulings.

So you've lost all credibility when it comes to addressing anything "intellectual," since the only thing about your posts that comes close to the term at all is that intellectual vacuum in which you continually operate.

Upvote 0

O.F.F.

An Ex-Mason for Jesus
Jan 22, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some thoughts:

1) Divine truths come from God, who was there at the beginning. Anything Jesus said in the Bible, he had also said from the beginning. The issue of 'do unto others...' is a timeless one, and has been used by many different religions. It shouldn't be surprising that this occurs, as all mankind has been exposed to God's truths, if not by personal revelation, then by nature itself. But it didn't originate with the Bible; rather, it was present from the beginning, as is all divine truth, and thus mankind was aware of it from the days of Adam.

2) The use of a divine truth by a false religion or book is more an example of false advertising or plaigerism. That the Book of Mormon has over 25,000 words from the KJV does not make it divinely inspired, nor can the verses copied be claimed to be divinely inspired, though Mormons do indeed attempt to do so. The 'do unto others...' comment, when used in such a Book, loses its divine inspiration because its author is not under divine inspiration, and his motives wrong. Such words then fall under the 'bait & switch' category.

3) Can we separate divine truths into prioritized categories? Those that speak to the relationship of God to man are surely separate from those speak to the relationship of man to man. Certainly the former are of eternal consequence while the latter are not. Perhaps the books which masonry classifies as 'VSL' must be judged on their adherence to all divine truths, not just a subset of them. The Bible, being completely written under the inspiration of God, cannot be equated to the Koran, which was not. That there are commonalities between them is completely irrelevant due to the inspirations of their authors. God's inspiration is to bring men to him; Muhammad's was to deceive. We cannot claim a book contains divine inspiration unless all its content is divinely inspired. The Book of Mormon, then, can only point to the Bible as its source of divinely inspired truth, but cannot in and of itself be classified as divinely inspired.

4) How are divine truths different from the natural rights of man, as both are given by God? Does a government protecting those rights claim to be divinely-led?

Comments, please. Cordially, Skip.

Skip, you bring up some good points. Thank you for sharing them.

Let me ask you; am I wrong in my assessment of Wayne's argument? In other words, to me he is 'implying' that since every verse in the Bible is 'divine' truth, then if the same idea is expressed in the sacred writings of believers in false gods, it too is divine truth, even though it came from an uninspired source. You may have already answered my concern when you said, "The use of a divine truth by a false religion or book is more an example of false advertising or plaigerism." Yet I want to be certain.

From your perspective, is his position a valid one? I recognize the fact that based on Romans 2, non-Christian religions have obtained the Ethic of Reciprosity via 'divine' revelation (i.e. General Revelation instilled by God in the human conscience). However, I cannot accept that ANYTHING found in the book of a false religion can be classified as 'divine' truth; when they specifically worship a false god. So your point about it being "false advertising or plaigerism" is important to me.

While I wait for your response, I will continue with my position; unless he, you or someone else can convince me that the implications I get from his points are invalid.

Upvote 0

O.F.F.

An Ex-Mason for Jesus
Jan 22, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wayne said:
Then in essence you're saying Jesus spoke something that was not divine truth, because the gist of it is absolutely NO DIFFERENT.

No again; you are absolutely wrong!!! You quoted a demonic source, NOT Jesus Christ, who is the source of all divine truth; the gist of which is CATEGORICALLY DIFFERENT!

See, the problem is, you thought I would fall for your deceit and say, "Yes, what you quote is divine truth, but..." So that you could come back and say, "See there, I quoted a religious source "outside of the Bible" and you agree that it is divine truth." But it backfired on you, so you came up with some nonsense about "that only illustrates further what I've already stated, that it's the same truth, and you can put it anywhere else you wish, but the truth of what it says will not change."

But for the record, in essence of your reply to my question, you're saying that all the sources I quoted from believers in false gods, as well as the ones you just quoted, are ALL divine truth. Do you really want to go on record with added heresy to your previous heretical claims?

Wayne said:
I'm not a "Masonic pastor," I am a Christian pastor--and a Spirit-filled one. I am a pastor by divine calling of God, acknowledged and confirmed by the blessing and ordination of the church.

Sorry, but I do not believe a Spirit-filled, divinely called Christian pastor would call the writings of believers in false gods, divine truth. So I beg to differ with you. Satan may have convinced you that your position is valid, but like I said earlier, such a position is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit!

Wayne said:
So you might as well face the fact, you aren't going to fool me either. Especially with THIS: "Your quote comes from Islam, but you deliberately left out part of it."

I did not "leave out" anything, for I was not "quoting Islam." You mean you actually found somewhere that MATCHED what I posted? Amazing.

What is most amazing is the fact that what I found was WORD FOR WORD of what you posted! Surely you are NOT going to NOW deny the source from which it came and claim that the Holy Spirit revealed it to you, are you? So where did you get it from?

Wayne said:
And did you even bother to check out your source and find out what "Mishkat-el-Masabih" is? Apparently it's not Quran and thus not a "Muslim holy book" at all, it's what is referred to as "hadith." Although there are some Sunni Muslims who highly regard it, there are as many or more Muslims who will tell you, that if what it speaks does not appear anywhere in the Quran, it is a false hadith.

Interesting point, but you didn't provide a single citation to support it. Moreover, if one were to give you the benefit of the doubt, then why on earth would you quote a false source, from a false religion (Sunni Islam), that "many or more Muslims" view as false? Or, are you trying to suggest you quoted it from another source; if so, what source did you use, 'supposedly honest' Wayne? Please tell us, did you quote Mishkat-el-Masabih, OR NOT?

If not, then where did it come from? And, please don't waste any more of our time and try to convince us that it doesn't matter, because the 'gist' of it came from Jesus Christ. As for your threat to push the 'report' button or claim that I am 'solely trying to discredit you,' I don't need to do that which you have proven to be thoroughly capable of doing to yourself. So you should cease the IMing before you have a brain aneurysm. And that doesn't stand for "Instant Messaging," but if you can't figure it out, just PM me and I will gladly let you know what it means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Skip Sampson

Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
✟9,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Mike:
Let me ask you; am I wrong in my assessment of Wayne's argument?
First, I wouldn't give much credence to Wayne's arguments. He's shown himself to be unserious in both analysis and commentary. Kinda the poster boy for what passes for Masonic scholarship, and the antithesis of the behavior described in 1 Cor 13:5.

As to your question, what is the difference between the "I love you" from a man's wife and the "I love you" from his child? Or the same phrase directed to him from a prostitute? I think it's all a function of meaning and source, which makes all the difference.

However, I cannot accept that ANYTHING found in the book of a false religion can be classified as 'divine' truth; when they specifically worship a false god.
Neither can I, for the reason noted above. Since it's appearing in such a book, it has ceased to have divine inspiration, as its meaning is purposely distorted and it's disconnected from its source. The intent of such plaigerism is to invite the reader to delve further into falsehood, much like Mormons do with the Book of Mormon. No matter how many Bible verses in that book, it cannot have divine inspiration behind it as it is man-derived. As well, the meaning is often changed in such books, with such distortions invalidating the original intent.

Take the "do unto others.. " comment. Do we claim that as our own? Of course not. We point to the source which is the authority behind the comment. It is not divinely-inspired because we say it, but because God has said it. Thus, the same verse is only divinely-inspired where it originally appeared because the source is trusted. Were the same statement in the Koran, for example, it would not be divinely inspired because the source has been altered; it's now from Allah, not from God.

Moreover, I don't think such comments can be divorced from the rest of the canon. You can't pick and choose; it is all divinely-inspired or none of it is. Thus to isolate one comment and reuse it elsewhere is to reject the rest, which I think destroys the context.

Here's another way to look at it: We like to say that even a stopped clock is right twice a day; however, which two times is it right? How can one know without a clock that does work? An untrusted source remains that way no matter how many Bible verses it contains.

Hope all this answers your question. Cordially, Skip.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But for the record, in essence of your reply to my question, you're saying that all the sources I quoted from believers in false gods, as well as the ones you just quoted, are ALL divine truth.

No, I'm not, and you've been around and around this thing in circles yet again, without saying a cottonpicking thing that has anything to do with what I've stated. All you're trying to do is reframe what I DO say to create something that resembles the cannon fodder you wish it to be. You should know by now your re-frame has failed, and I will continue to refuse to let you try to re-spin it in any other way where you can make it stick, because your every contention is still false. I already stated my position on the matter, I was very clear in doing so, I shot down the very same contentions you are continuing to re-spin, so I will simply repost it again, and you can take it or leave it:

(1) I have NOT EVER, in any comment made on this particular point, described what I have stated about biblical truths that appear in other religions as "inspired." You are injecting into my comments an entirely foreign aspect that I have neither stated nor implied. I believe in open discussion and for that reason use great restraint in using the "report" feature available on this forum. But with your REPEATED straw man attempts to force that language upon my comments, that option becomes more and more a possibility, since you don't appear to be about to cease from your false accusations on that point any time soon.

(2) All I have stated concerning divine biblical truths which also find expression in other religions, is that--given the fact that there are some which predate even Christianity--that they MUST have received that truth by some means of revelation from God. Otherwise, we must accept some strange notion that something which is a divine truth--given its appearance in the Bible, which IS divine truth--came to someone else by some other means. That simply cannot be. I am willing to concede divine revelation, by whatever means that may be explained, as the means by which other religions came by SOME truths; more specifically, the one in question and/or any others which are essentially the same but seem to predate our own. But I have not once called it "inspiration," which is quite a different proposition. So again, I thank you kindly to dispense with your false accusations and suggestions that I have either stated or implied any such thing, for I most certainly have not.

(3) You seem to be suggesting that a truth of God found in the Bible becomes a contextual issue when found somewhere else, and can be dismissed and declared as false merely for its appearing in the texts of another sacred book. It's either true or it's not true, regardless of where it appears. Truth is not contextual, and depends on no context or any other such thing for its being true. What you suggest is very much akin to situational ethics, and I truly thought you knew better.

why on earth would you quote a false source, from a false religion (Sunni Islam), that "many or more Muslims" view as false?

That's just it, I didn't--that was YOU.

Or, are you trying to suggest you quoted it from another source;

I never said I "quoted" it from ANY source, that's just YOU talking. I answered this once already, didn't you read it?

Please tell us, did you quote Mishkat-el-Masabih, OR NOT?

How many times are you going to ask questions that were already addressed?

In order to place it before you in the manner intended--that being, not quoted from any Bible version nor from the sacred writings of any other religion--what was posted was extemporaneous, as already noted. The purpose was, to TRY to get you to simply state whether the truth itself can be taken as a divine truth or not, and prevent your evasiveness, by causing you to have to deal with the concept itself rather than the various renditions of it. With the approach you took, you totally circumvented it again, though.

I'll tell you what--check out post #42 above, and the list of different expressions of this truth, and compare them with any Bible translations you care to, and you will find that not all of THOSE are cited directly from Bible versions, but are nevertheless expressions of the same truth. I half-expected at the time I posted the one you now address, as well as the others that were mixed in with the various translations, that one of them just MIGHT match directly with one of the various English translations of the Bible. But I never had the slightest notion that you would try to match it up with something else. I should have realized though, given your track record, that you'd STILL manage to invent something.

You really ought to get you a shorter horse and a lower hat, and come down off the high horse and quit trying to high-hat me from every oblique angle you can invent, and deal with this honestly. By honestly, I mean: deal with the MEANING, which is what makes this a truth of God--the MEANING of what Jesus stated, which is and will always be true no matter where it is stated. And in case you hadn't noticed, when I HAVE cited or made reference during this discussion, it has been to the EGYPTIAN version of it, primarily because, PREDATING the Judaeo-Christian context of it in our Bible, no counter-claim can be made that the source could be considered derivative. And it's a very intentional position, and one I have taken many times in similar discussions. It puts the debating opponent in the position of having to either acknowledge it came by some sort of divine revelation, or to explain how it was that the Egyptians apprehended it by purely human means.

So why would I abandon that advantage, which you foolishly wish to convince readers here, and begin citing from a source which by simple reckoning of its origins, would almost IMMEDIATELY elicit claims of being derivative from the Christian expression of it in the Bible?

For the record, I never heard of any Mishkat (though I'm picking up a strong indication of polecat on my radar), and as I pointed out, it is not germane to this discussion anyway, not being a VSL in any Lodge, nor appearing on any list of accepted VSL's in any lodge anywhere that you could name.

You could try discarding it back wherever you found it, and quit wasting bandwidth with your ad hominem filibustering.

What is most amazing is the fact that what I found was WORD FOR WORD of what you posted!

Incredible! Especially to claim "word for word" after adding all that stuff that I DIDN'T say!

I also find it to be irrelevant, since it's pure coincidence. Where'd you find that thing anyway? Have you even bothered trying to match up any of the whole list of them I posted? You may wind up matching some more that were not quoted from any source. There are so many ways of expressing this truth, and so many ways even in the English alone, that if enough of them are put out there, you're bound to hit SOMETHING sooner or later.

And I really don't care how much you go boo-hooing about it "matching," doing so is disingenuous anyway, since the original was probably in Arabic, and you are looking at yet another English translation. Find the original, put it before another interpreter, and doubtless you will have yet another English expression of it.

Since you persist in this, though, I thought it might be worthwhile to take a look around and see what people are doing with this, and see how it pans out when taken in the whole scheme of things. Boy, was I ever right. Not every place you look has what you posted. I came up with several expressions of it, all relating it to the Mishkat:

‘Do unto all people as you would they should do to you.’ [This one did NOT have the trailer you tried to tack onto MY statement]

Do unto all men as you would they should unto you, and reject for others what you would reject for yourself.

Do to all men as you would wish to have done unto you; and reject for others what you would reject for yourselves.

"Do unto all people as you would they should do unto you, and reject for others what you would reject for yourself."

Do to all people as you would wish to have done unto you; and reject for others what you would reject for yourselves.

Do to all men as you would wish to have done to you; and reject for others what you would reject for yourselves.

Do to all people as you would they should do unto you, and reject for others what you would reject for yourself.
What I found really has quite a bit of variations--nor is this an exhaustive list, I don't have the time for any such thing. But it's easy to see: some have "Do unto," others "do to"; one of them did not even have the second part; there are some with single quotes, some with double quotes, some with no quotes at all; one of them has the "all" underlined; some omit the second "do"; some have "unto" after the second "do," others have "to"; some have "would," others have "would wish"; some have a comma before the second part of the statement, others have a semicolon; etc. etc. etc.

With all those variations, one can only wonder how many hit-and-miss efforts you had to make before you got the "right" one that you could use to plug this phony Inquisition as you try to play your Torquemada games.

Interesting point, but you didn't provide a single citation to support it.

I really didn't list a source for that particular information, because I incorrectly assumed that since you posted it as though you quoted from it directly, rather than citing the webpage you found on your surfing trip, that you just MIGHT already know that information. But since you indiscriminately post from sources that you don't even have the least inkling what they are, in your attempts to continue your pursuit of "discredit-everything-at-any-cost," perhaps this will be a wake-up call for you to learn what you're posting from before you post it.

The information I shared can be found on just about any Islamic information page, for anyone who actually reads such things before they cite Islamic materials. Once such page is quranic.org. Go there and look for "Contradictory Hadiths," or go to any other Islamic information site and look for the same term, you can find bundles of info about it. Here's a statement on the matter from quranic.org:

As we have seen, God says that the Quran is protected and free from all contradictions. God brings testimony to His statement by the fact that the Quran is His own word. By analogy, we deduced in Chapter 6 that hadiths could not constitute a source for religion as they clashed even with the Quran. These discrepancies are proofs of our contention. We shall be witnessing the fact that truth and falsehood are inextricably mixed together. It would be worthwhile to note that even though, when a given hadith does not conflict with the Quran and is not contrary to reason, it does not necessarily follow that it is the word of the Prophet and need not be taken as such. Religion cannot be based on such conjectures. Therefore no hadith can be considered having a religious connotation.

Be a little more forthcoming yourself, and you might get better response when you make such notations. It's part of what we're discussing, remember? That if you wish someone to behave a certain way, you behave the same way toward them?

And, please don't waste any more of our time and try to convince us that it doesn't matter, because the 'gist' of it came from Jesus Christ.

Oops, my bad. I thought since you were a fellow Christian, that you would feel differently. But don't worry, I won't trouble you any further with things that Jesus Christ said, since you apparently don't wish to be bothered with them, and consider it "wasting your time."

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But for the record, in essence of your reply to my question, you're saying that all the sources I quoted from believers in false gods, as well as the ones you just quoted, are ALL divine truth.

There you go again. How do you ever get your laundry finished around your house, when you have it set on eternal spin cycle? I thought I explained this sufficiently the half-dozen OTHER times you tried this spin: I am NOT addressing entire systems as a whole; I am NOT addressing entire sacred books as a whole; so for you to FALSELY make this same loose and unconsidered STRAW MAN accusation once again, is totally unbelievable. I've never seen you become such a broken record EVER before, here or elsewhere.

So READ MY LIPS: I said nothing about SYSTEMS; I made no remarks regarding SACRED BOOKS in their entirety, with this exception, that I do not toss out the baby with the bath water when it comes to ascertaining the truth or falsehood of anything any other sacred book teaches. In other words, I take any truths/alleged truths one at a time--as anyone should.

You also keep insisting that there CANNOT be any truths in other religions. Wrong again, and it's not just my opinion. Here are some examples, taken from a variety of sources--old, new, evangelical or otherwise, since I know your first inclination will be to do the same with sources that you do with posters, and try to discredit, discredit, discredit--showing that this is nothing new, nor is it anything novel, nor is it anything meriting the overzealous and overbearing slam-dunking style of critique you are attempting to sell here (keep in mind that MANY such authors go much FARTHER than I myself do on this matter--citing them here is for examples of how many there are who are of this opinion, and beyond, and NOT as any endorsement of any stated opinions therein--until and unless I indicate otherwise):

Other religions sometimes correct our misunderstandings, blindness, and unfaithfulness. There are truths in other religions from which we can learn. Such truth provides a frame of reference into which the gospel penetrates. We should not exaggerate the worst nor the best in other religions, but let Christ be the final judge. (Calvin E. Shenk, Who Do You Say That I Am? p. 180)

For Hans Kung, the truths in other religions add to rather than subtract from the truth of Christian faith. According to Karl Rahner, genuine seekers after truth in other religions are already Christians--though anonymous ones. John MacQuarrie thinks that the revelation of true humanity is to be discerned not only in Jesus but also in luminaries of other religious traditions, such as Buddha and Confucius. (Donald G. Bloesch, A Theology of Word and Spirit, p. 52)

(As you can see from the above, some of these guys go much farther than anything I have stated here. I include this not to agree, but by way of example only.)

Buddhism, like Mohammedanism, in order to retain its hold over the hearts of the people, had also to develop the idea of a God to worship and of a ritual of worship, in addition to its belief in the gaining of peace through self-mastery. Each of those religions started with a belief fundamental to the religious consciousness, and each of them was compelled to add to that belief what was also fundamental to the religious consciousness. From a purely philosophical standpoint Christianity contained those two elements in their fullness. The reason surely was that Christianity was founded upon the person and the teaching of the Supreme Teacher. Mohammedanism and Buddhism only emphasized the claim of Christianity to universality. Christianity was the only absolute religion, although that did not force them to deny that there might be truths in other religions, and that other religions might have a genuine though inferior inspiration. (Christian Truth and Other Intellectual Forces, published by SPCK, "Christian revelation and the Similar Claims of Other Religions," p. 4)

I do not share the fear of many people, particularly Christians, that the acknowledgement of spiritual truths in other religions will weaken one's commitment to one's own faith; rather, I am convinced that one's own faith can be deepened. (Lynn A. De Silva, The Problem of the Self in Buddhism and Christianity, p. xii)

The comparative study of religions is sometimes held as disproving the exclusive claim that the missionary enterprise is making for the Christian faith. It is impossible here to deal with the subject as it deserves; but the writer may be allowed to state his conviction as one who has carefully compared the religions of the world as they are, not only in literature but in life, that the fundamental Christian verities, the personality, perfection, and Fatherhood of God, the reality of sin, the necessity of atonement, the sufficiency of the grace of Jesus Christ, the presence and the power of the Holy Spirit of God, the hope of a blessed and a glorious immortality, stated with no sectarian accretions or ecclesiastical assumptions, can and do make their appeal to the human reason and conscience everywhere. He has not discovered any truths in other religions[FONT='Arial','sans-serif'] [/font]that the Christian Gospel lacks; he has not found in one of them the moral dynamic that Christian faith offers; he has not seen a Master of the soul who can in truth and grace be placed above, or even beside, Jesus Christ. (Alfred Ernest Garvie, A Handbook of Christian Apologetics, p. 223)

(Nice to come across one who can affirm truths in other religions, while maintaining the supremacy of Christ.)

Christianity is the true centre of human perfectibility, the complement of all partial truths in other religions, the full answer to the deepest instincts of reverence and hope in the human heart. (F.D. Maurice, "The Religions of the World in Their Relation to Christianity," F.D. Maurice, The Churchman's Monthly Review, p. 754)

There are truths in other religions, but one religion is exclusively effective in that it alone provides the way of salvation or liberation. Adherents of other religions, although sincere in their piety and upright in their moral conduct, cannot attain salvation through their religions. . . .
The author would also argue that, in justification of his exclusivist view that the Spirit of God is and will always be at work in the lives of those who choose to worship other religions; they just do not recognize it, that is, His activity in Christian terms. Either way, they unconsciously or consciously are seeking the one true God, Jesus Christ. Michael L. Peterson, Reason and Religious Belief, p. 262)

Salvation and deliverance is in Christ, but God acts mercifully with those who do not yet know Christ and who live by the light of their limited insight. The truths in other religions are as scattered rays of light which are ultimately joined, gathered, and supplemented by the full brilliance of Christ. (Johannes Verkuyl, The Message of Liberation in Our Age, p. 84)

Our response as Christians to the challenge of Pluralism does not require us to water down our Christian faith when we acknowledge and welcome the truths in other religions. (Angus James MacQueen, Memory is My Diary, Vol. 2, p. 201)

Second, we are called to challenge the structures and beliefs of existing religious systems, even as we invite their followers to turn to Christ. There are important truths in other religions that need not be destroyed, but other religions exist as systems in rebellion against God. (John Dudley Woodberry, Muslims and Christians on the Emmaus Road, p. 56)

Pinnock is unequivocal. Jesus is the fulfillment of the Spirit's work and of God's revelation. Therefore premessianic believers would see Jesus as being the fulfilment of what they have gleaned from creation, the imago Dei, and truths in other religions. (Daniel Strange, The Possibility of Salvation Among the Unevangelised," p. 130)

Christ made a life-changing difference to me. I honor Him and revere His teachings. But I cannot believe He would have me close my eyes to the deep spiritual truths in other religions. (Clyde H. Reid, The Return to Faith: Finding God in the Unconscious, p. 37)

In regard to the spiritual principles underlying the Old Testament, it does proclaim a number of things that are true for all time; and in regard to the relation of men individually, and collectively toward God, it teaches things that are always true. It shares this property with a great number of other books written under the same inspiration as that under which the Jewish historians and prophets wrote; but on the whole, when we have gone through all the sacred books belonging to other religions, we come back to the Bible as the greatest of them all, and conceive of its inspiration as the highest of all inspirations. (Stopford A. Brooke, "The Bible," Homiletic Review, Vol. VII, No. 5, p. 260-61)

On one point, all the Gospels are agreed; --that when it became clear that Israel as a whole was not prepared to receive the message--and still less, to pass it on--then Jesus unhesitatingly announced that God would choose other messengers. "He will destroy those vine-dressers, and give the vineyard to others."
The world-wide outlook is also implied in the "missionary commissions" which are recorded in the New Testament as delivered by Jesus to His disciples after His resurrection. . . Many Christian scholars hesitate to accept these as verbatim reports of words spoken by Jesus. But in any case, they witness to the belief of the primitive Church; and if we compare them with the Gospels as a whole, we shall have little doubt that they truly express the purpose of Christ, that His message should be proclaimed throughout the whole world.
Nearly all of the most striking sayings and parables of Jesus lay stress, not upon temporary or local forms of religious organizations or rites, or even doctrine, but upon inner and spiritual truths, which are God's universal laws, applicable to all kinds of men and women. For example: "Blessed are the meek,. . .the merciful,. . . the pure in heart, . . . the peacemakers." "Forgive, that ye may be forgiven." There is noting "sectional" here;' nor in the central messages of most of the great parables, such as the Prodigal Son, the Sower, the Unmerciful Servant. Doubtless they had a special reference to the immediate situation; but they are applicable to all men at all times. (The Christian Attitude to Other Religions, p. 89-91)

As a philosopher teaching religion at a state university in the Bible Belt, my most important responsibilities are teaching students that:

(1) religion is more extensive than Judaism and Christianity;
(2) spiritual truths are found in religions other than Judaism and Christianity;
(3) while religions differ in beliefs, they share many spiritual values;
(4) thinking, questioning study of other religions as well as one's own is neither sinful nor harmful but encourages a growing, mature faith;
(5) knowledge contributes to toleration whole ignorance encourages superstition, bigotry and violence;
(6) one should never be afraid of having questions or doubts because only the questioning, doubting mind is capable of learning. Socrates was correct when he observed that wisdom begins in the awareness of one's ignorance and the life-long desire to learn. (Albert B. Randall, Strangers on the Shore: The Beatitudes in World Religions, p. 7)

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As for your ideas of "false religions," I found this piece to be particularly interesting.

These considerations have now prepared the way for an answer to the question whether or not it is correct, in the light of the facts which the comparative study of religions has brought before us, to distinguish other religions from the Christian religion as the false from the true. Only let the question be rightly apprehended. It is not, as sometimes assumed, whether other religions than the Christian recognize important moral and spiritual truths. About this there is no dispute. Indeed, except for this, they would not have had the power they have to attract the millions of mankind. Moreover, it may be remarked in passing, that it is of great importance that all Christians, and missionaries especially, recognize and heartily acknowledge such truths as they may find more or less clearly admitted in the religions of those among whom they labor. Let us by all means acknowledge with thankfulness the fact that Islam insists on the unity and spirituality of God, as opposed to all polytheism and pantheism; and no less, on His absolute supremacy and sovereignty over all that is. Let us rejoice again, that in Hindooism we find so many intimations of that other profound truth, of which Islam seems never to have caught a glimpse, the immanence of God in the world. Let us even thank Buddhism for its continual insistence on the utter vanity and the unsatisfying nature of the world and all that is in it, and for its assertion of the equality of all men, as against the intolerable pretensions of caste.
Nor have we the least reason to fear, lest by such frank recognition of any truth to which any non-Christian religion may give witness, we detract aught from the Divine authority and unique supremacy of Christianity. If the teaching of the Holy Scriptures is to be received, it were even incredible that some fragments of spiritual truth should not be found in nil religions. For the teaching of the Word is explicit that all men alike have a moral nature, and that humanity began its history with a true, if imperfect, knowledge of God. We are told that the invisible things of God, from the time of the creation itself, have been clearly revealed, "being understood by the things that are made ";' and that men who have not the revealed law of God, are yet "a law unto themselves "; inasmuch as they show the operation of a "law written in their hearts," when their thoughts within them accuse or else excuse them for what they have done. Moreover, the same Scriptures teach no less clearly that the working of God's Holy Spirit is by no means confined to those who have the revealed Word, but that the eternal Word "lighteth every man." And since the same Scriptures also teach that even before God separated Israel to be the special vehicle and channel of His supernatural revelation, His will for our salvation was made known to the children of men; therefore, in the light of all these facts, we need not be surprised that among religions other than the Christian we should find, as we do find, some vestiges of God's ancient revelation and many most impressive suggestions of truths which are commonly regarded as belonging, not to natural, but to revealed religion.
Then we have further to remember that by the dispersion of the Jews after the Babylonian captivity, in the first instance, and after that, by the preaching of the apostles and their associates and immediate successors, the distinctive facts of the gospel were very widely spread abroad in the world of that time. That such truths, so extensively proclaimed, should have everywhere utterly perished from the memory of men, in those various lands where they labored, had been truly astonishing; and the evidence is all to the contrary.
As is well known, Mohammedanism accepts as infallible truth very much of the history and doctrine of the Old and New Testaments. Hindooism, with its teaching concerning Prajapati, who sacrificed himself in behalf of the gods, recognized in its most ancient days, the doctrine of a Divine Atoner and atonement; and at this present time, in its doctrine of the avatars, confesses to the fact that if the world is to be saved, an incarnation of the Deity is required. These two ideas have been strikingly combined in the Bhagavad Glta, where Krishna, as an incarnation of the Deity, is represented as saying, in language which might be applied without modification to our Lord Jesus Christ: "I am the offering; I am the sacrifice; I am the burnt offering."' The poem is of later origin than the Christian era, and this teaching with regard to Krishna, like some of the incidents of his life as given in the Bhagavad Purana, may indicate faint recollections of Christian preaching by the apostle Thomas, or other early missionaries to India. But the fundamental idea thus expressed had found striking expression even in India before the incarnation of our Lord; as in one of the Brahmanas previously cited: "The Lord of creatures gave Himself for them, for He became their sacrifice."
Not to multiply illustrations, let it then be granted, once for all, that in all the great religions of mankind may be discovered more or less important fragments of Divine truth; and even of such truths as are distinctive of Christianity. (Samuel Henry Kellogg, A Handbook of Comparative Religion, p. 166-170)

Upvote 0

Skip Sampson

Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
✟9,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Masonry cites no "volume of sacred law" other than the Bible within its rituals.
That's not true for all Masonry. When a candidate asks for another VSL, the ritual is modified to accommodate it. Thus when the ritual discusses the 'rule and guide,' it will be pointing to a book other than the Bible. That is why Masonry more and more points to the VSL as one of the three great lights in Masonry. Cordially, Skip.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's not true for all Masonry. When a candidate asks for another VSL, the ritual is modified to accommodate it. Thus when the ritual discusses the 'rule and guide,' it will be pointing to a book other than the Bible. That is why Masonry more and more points to the VSL as one of the three great lights in Masonry.
You seem to have misunderstood, since you address the mere mention, whereas I was speaking of content. But to clarify, perhaps the addition of one small additional word in its proper place would be helpful:

Masonry cites from no "volume of sacred law" other than the Bible within its rituals.
You seem to have taken "cites" in its secondary meaning of "to mention," rather than its primary meaning of "quotes," which was actually my intent. The addition of "from" should be a helpful corrective, if you will be gracious enough to accept the statement as amended, as a more accurate reflection of my intent.

And with that clarification, I would reiterate the same point, that you will not find the content of any other sacred volume cited in Masonic ritual. Or at least, to date, no one has met this challenge, and I've offered it more than once before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skip Sampson

Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
✟9,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Note: Much of this post has been removed due to errors of content. I had missed the fact that the 2011 NIV had been issued and was that which Wayne had quoted. What follows remain in force:

As to the original point, we all go to judgment, one way or another, as this verse indicates:
Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,.. (Hebrews 9:27)
The difference is that the saved are not condemned, but are sent to eternal joy in heaven by the merits of their relationship to Jesus.

The SC GL can teach that Masons await the call to heaven all they wish, or get there via Jacob's 'ladder,' or by purity of conduct, but the nonChristian will not get the call to heaven. His Masonic efforts will have amounted to nothing. Cordially, Skip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your quote apparently comes from the TNIV, and I'd suggest you be more careful in the future as they are quite different translations.

I'd suggest you be more careful in making your accusations, because what I quoted came from the NIV at biblegateway.com, where any reader who cares to can go to the following link and see exactly how much smoke you're disseminating at the moment:

John 5:24 - Passage Lookup - New International Version - BibleGateway.com=

Heck, you can even choose to pull up both the NIV and the TNIV in parallel, so that you can see they are the SAME translations:

John 5:24 - Passage Lookup - BibleGateway.com

I'd also suggest you try to keep up a little better with changes as they occur. The NIV has always had a built-in process of revision to ensure that the NIV continues to reflect the original vision of the man who originated t, Howard Long. Biblegateway describes that process on their website:

Perhaps no other translation has undergone a more thorough process of review and revision. From the very start, the NIV sought to bring modern Bible readers as close as possible to the experience of the very first Bible readers: providing the best possible blend of transparency to the original documents and comprehension of the original meaning in every verse. With this clarity of focus, however, came the realization that the work of translating the NIV would never be truly complete. As new discoveries were made about the biblical world and its languages, and as the norms of English usage developed and changed over time, the NIV would also need to change to hold true to its original vision.
And so in the original NIV charter, provision was made not just to issue periodic updates to the text but also to create a mechanism for constant monitoring of changes in biblical scholarship and English usage. The CBT was charged to meet every year to review, maintain, and strengthen the NIV’s ability to accurately and faithfully render God’s unchanging Word in modern English.
The 2011 update to the NIV is the latest fruit of this process. By working with input from pastors and Bible scholars, by grappling with the latest discoveries about biblical languages and the biblical world, and by using cutting-edge research on English usage, the Committee on Bible Translation has updated the text to ensure that the New International Version of the Bible remains faithful to Howard Long’s original inspiration.

Knowing you as I do,

Guess you'll have to drop THAT presumption, since you just proved you DON'T.

I think you shopped for the version that allowed you to make the claim you did.

You will think all sorts of things, we have abundant evidence of that as well. Fact is, the Biblegateway site has the NIV as its default version that pulls up automatically when you visit the site.

This suspicion is supported . . .

Sorry to bust your bubble, but no, it's not.

Finally, I would caution you that there is a thin line between error and dishonesty,

You should know, you've blurred it often enough, with Jacob's staircase, rectangular cubes, imaginary phone calls, and General Secretaries contacting themselves for rulings about dissemination of GL materials.

The SC GL can teach that Masons await the call to heaven all they wish,

Thank you for being willing to be condescending enough to give us your permission.

but the nonChristian will not get the call to heaven. His Masonic efforts will have amounted to nothing.

Well, thank God that applies to no Mason I have met, since I have met no Mason who professed other than Christian beliefs, and since I never met a Mason who was trying to get to heaven by any "Masonic" efforts either.

Just my personal, and, of course, humble, opinion.
Oh, of course. What did you figure, mock humility is better than none at all? Fact is, as you composed this post, you were practically dripping with it. Perhaps you're the one who needs advice: I'd advise being "honest" enough to lose the mock humility, which is the kind quickest to turn into humiliation.

Upvote 0

Rev Wayne

Sep 16, 2003
SC
Visit site
✟13,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is why Masonry more and more points to the VSL as one of the three great lights in Masonry.
Not in the places you've always considered authoritative, the rituals and monitors. The monitors are pretty consistent in listing "Holy Bible" rather than "VSL," the rituals are even MORE consistently "Holy Bible."

Upvote 0

O.F.F.

An Ex-Mason for Jesus
Jan 22, 2004
USA
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Mike:
First, I wouldn't give much credence to Wayne's arguments. He's shown himself to be unserious in both analysis and commentary. Kinda the poster boy for what passes for Masonic scholarship, and the antithesis of the behavior described in 1 Cor 13:5.

As to your question, what is the difference between the "I love you" from a man's wife and the "I love you" from his child? Or the same phrase directed to him from a prostitute? I think it's all a function of meaning and source, which makes all the difference.

Neither can I, for the reason noted above. Since it's appearing in such a book, it has ceased to have divine inspiration, as its meaning is purposely distorted and it's disconnected from its source. The intent of such plaigerism is to invite the reader to delve further into falsehood, much like Mormons do with the Book of Mormon. No matter how many Bible verses in that book, it cannot have divine inspiration behind it as it is man-derived. As well, the meaning is often changed in such books, with such distortions invalidating the original intent.

Take the "do unto others.. " comment. Do we claim that as our own? Of course not. We point to the source which is the authority behind the comment. It is not divinely-inspired because we say it, but because God has said it. Thus, the same verse is only divinely-inspired where it originally appeared because the source is trusted. Were the same statement in the Koran, for example, it would not be divinely inspired because the source has been altered; it's now from Allah, not from God.

Moreover, I don't think such comments can be divorced from the rest of the canon. You can't pick and choose; it is all divinely-inspired or none of it is. Thus to isolate one comment and reuse it elsewhere is to reject the rest, which I think destroys the context.

Here's another way to look at it: We like to say that even a stopped clock is right twice a day; however, which two times is it right? How can one know without a clock that does work? An untrusted source remains that way no matter how many Bible verses it contains.

Hope all this answers your question. Cordially, Skip.

Thanks Skip, that was a very good reply. Happy Father's Day to you!

Upvote 0

Skip Sampson

Veteran
Apr 18, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
✟9,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd suggest you be more careful in making your accusations,
You are correct and you have my apologies. I had gone to the same source you had quoted but had not pulled up the 2011 version of the NIV. I had also used my own NIV, which is the 1984 version.

The other comments about judgment and condemnation remain in force. Cordially, Skip.

Upvote 0