• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Eating swine & other unclean animals is a work of the flesh

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Dkh587, Aug 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dkh587

Dkh587 Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,736
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Christ upheld the law, and fully taught it & preached it. He didn't abolish it. The Christ i believe in did not teach his followers to disobey God's law, what you are erroneously are calling "Jewish law"

Christ obeyed God's law, and lived the life that the law teaches us to live. And we all know we are supposed to imitate Christ.

Was Christ walking around teaching folks to eat unclean animals? Did Christ eat unclean animals? Did Christ teach disobedience to God's commandments?

If Christ didn't eat unclean animals, didn't teach his followers to eat unclean animals, and didn't teach disobedience to God's law, are we really imitating him if he didn't do these things, & teach his followers to do the same, yet we are doing and teaching them?

I would have to say NO.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  2. nonaeroterraqueous

nonaeroterraqueous Nonexistent Member

+2,672
    United States
    Protestant
    Married
    Both of those passages that I mentioned came from the New Testament. What language was used to write the New Testament? Why even bother mentioning Aramaic or Hebrew, when you know it was written in Greek. Your argument is deliberately misleading, and you're attempting to use esoteric terms to construct a fallacious argument.

3. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+1,329
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Than our interactions are at an end, I wish you well following Jewish law and reject the law of Grace

4. Ken Rank

Ken Rank Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,466
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Don't say I am deliberately misleading, that is calling me a liar. We don't agree so automatically I am a liar? That's why we have over 20,000 divisions in the ONE body of Messiah. As for what language the NT was written in? The answer is, mostly Aramaic, some Hebrew... a little Greek. If you want to get together and go over the Hebraic syntax we can. The idea that the NT was written in Greek is a fallacy. The language of the day in Judea was Aramaic... the Temple language was Hebrew... and the Jews who had to interact knew enough Greek to get by save for the Hellenists of course, who were already Greek raised. All of the Jewish writings from that time period (see Dead Sea scrolls for a few thousand examples) are in Aramaic and Hebrew... and the NT is a Jewish writing.

Be blessed. :)
    Ken

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Dkh587

+1,736
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I'm a little disappointed that you were not willing to answer my questions, but no hard feelings. Peace & blessings to you

6. Ken Rank

+5,466
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    That is a ridiculous statement. First of all, he is talking about "God's law," it is only known as "Jewish law" culturally. It is like saying, "Feasts of the Jews" and ignoring God calling them "My Feasts" or the two verses that plainly state, "these are the Feasts of the LORD."

7. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Translator

+546
    Anglican
    Married
    When you are intimately familiar with the requisite languages (and I'm speaking from experience here :) ) Greek is the best explanation. The NT as we have it was compiled in Greek – despite there being some Aramaic source material, predominantly in the Gospels. Aramaic Primacy for the entire NT is an untenable fringe hypothesis.

8. Tutorman

Tutorman Charismatic Episcopalian

+1,329
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Married
    US-Republican
    I am sorry if I was bad to you a fellow brother in Christ. Blessings to you

9. Dkh587

+1,736
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    No hard feelings. It's okay. We all want everyone to see and understand things the way we understand them.

10. Nato12

Nato12 New Member

+6
    Russian Federation
    Non-Denom
    Single
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Nato12

Nato12 New Member

+6
    Russian Federation
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Sorry man,
    but I would have to take issues with two things you've said here.

1) Christ obeyed God's law . . but was He not caught doing work on the Sabbath? (Mark 2:23, Luke 6:1-11). And another time, he intentionally did not wash His hands before eating (mentioned somewhere earlier in this thread). So if He violated those laws, then so can we, right?

2) Are you sure that we have to do our best to imitate Christ? I know from my Bible that he was born without sin, but in sin my mother conceived me. No matter how hard I try, I'll never be perfect like Him. What am I trying for? It is like putting patches on the old wineskins; to put on the mind of Christ, I must first die

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Anand Prabhu Antony

Anand Prabhu Antony Member

+23
    Christian
    Single
    That was regarding gentiles, but not swine.

13. RGW00

RGW00 Member

+77
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Jesus died for our sins and cleared this right of us. Of course, there are people on this forum that believe otherwise but God wouldn't forbid people of this today. If God forbid these things then I guess 99.9999% of the world is going to Hell. Because it is almost impossible to say that you have never eaten unclean meat unless it's a family value you have kept all of your life. But there are lots of health benefits that come from those that make us stronger, and God means for us to take care of those animals the way we see fit, as God gave Adam the permission to do this in the beginning of time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Anand Prabhu Antony

Anand Prabhu Antony Member

+23
    Christian
    Single
    Romans 14: 14-17, 20-23
    Paul said: "I know, and am persuaded in the Lord Jesus, that nothing is unclean of itself; except that to him who considers anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
    Yet if because of food your brother is grieved, you walk no longer in love. Don’t destroy with your food him for whom Christ died.
    Then don’t let your good be slandered,
    for God’s Kingdom is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit".
    Don’t overthrow God’s work for food’s sake. All things indeed are clean, however it is evil for that man who creates a stumbling block by eating.
    It is good to not eat meat, drink wine, nor do anything by which your brother stumbles, is offended, or is made weak.
    Do you have faith? Have it to yourself before God. Happy is he who doesn’t judge himself in that which he approves.
    But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because it isn’t of faith; and whatever is not of faith is sin".

15. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Pardoned Rebel Supporter

+5,648
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    The Church would be a better place if the sheep knew what covenants where, and who they applied to and who they don't apply to.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+1,180
    Catholic
    Married
    This is a theological novelty that you've arrived at through your own reasoning. What makes you think that you know better than the entire church, which for two thousand years has said that you're wrong? How do you know that you're not one of those spoken of in 2 Peter 3:16?

17. Ken Rank

+5,466
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I am surrounded with some of the world's finest Koine Greek scholars. The interesting thing about this form of Greek is the Semitic undertones... it is almost Yiddish to German in the sense that the Hellenists made it their own. That said, there are many reasons why I said what I did and stand by it. This is also not the thread for a debate on languages... you are welcome to start one and tag me or send me a PM.

Shalom and brakhot.
    Ken

Edit - by the way, no means did I say nor think (are you trying to read my mind? :) ) that the entire NT was written in Aramaic. I don't have a primacy at all.... I said I think much of it was written in Aramaic, but I teeter between that and saying much was written in Hebrew. There were Hellenists in Judea but the disciples and Paul were not Hellenists and their views of Greek people (see the Peter and Paul dispute, also the vision God gave Peter wasn't about food it was about people... and in the immediate sense, Greek speaking Romans) were not high, in fact, at first, they were viewed as loathsome. Document after document from that time period written by a Jew is done in Hebrew or Aramaic... the problem is, we don't have a 1st century NT book. So we really don't know...

What I teach because of this is that regardless of the original language, the mindset was Semitic, the idioms and other abstract phraseology also Semitic, and the rules of exegesis also Semitic. Context is lost, when we read the NT, without considering those things.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    • List
  18. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Translator

+546
    Anglican
    Married
    You make a fantastical assertion in defense of your argument – one considered pseudoscience by those who are actively in the field, a fringe theory at best – and then (in all practicality) retreat from it while still insisting that you "stand by it"?

As far as debate goes, this is a foul.

19. Ken Rank

+5,466
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I just edited my post... and will cease talking to you now since I am fanatical. If you can't have an intelligent discussion without demeaning the other, then the discussions are a waste of time.

20. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Translator

+546
    Anglican
    Married
    I respectfully ask that you take a closer look at what I typed: "Fantastical" not "fanatical". It is quite a difference and I could see how such a mis-read would mar your opinion of my words. :)

I'll take the time in a bit to read over your edit, as I did not see it before I submitted my response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.