Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've heard in these forums that guns aren't OK, but yet we eat animals. In the sense of letting living creatures live I would have to say that killing your pets and eating them is evil. Not to be rude. But we use guns to kill and stay alive, and eating of animals is the same, we kill them and eat them to stay alive. Eat and live for another day. But we don't have to, we have beans and eggs and things that don't involve the killing of creatures that have a nervous system. So things without a nervous system don't feel pain when they die. That would be plants and eggs. But things that have a nervous system do feel pain when we kill them, that would be animals.

So the question I have is how do you feel about that?

Reactions: Abaxvahl

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm assuming you mean unfertilized eggs...right?
Yes of course, and you should note that Christ gave out bread and wine (seed and fruit) for his body and blood to his disciples.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes of course, and you should note that Christ gave out bread and wine (seed and fruit) for his body and blood to his disciples.
Using wine for the Kiddish and blessings is a well established millennia old tradition in Jewish culture and religion as well as the ban on drinking blood. He would not have used flesh and real blood. But he also ate lamb at the Passover sedar, as well as fish for himself and disciples (and the multitude). The Bible is very clear that eating meat is OK, kosher meats anyways.

That said,there are some Christian groups that say we should have a vegetarian diet, particularly the Seventh Day Adventists. Further, when Jewish people could not get kosher meats they were/are generally vegetarian, see Daniel for examples. So, there are certainly health benefits when done correctly, but we cannot really use the Bible to say we should not eat flesh.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But we don't have to, we have beans and eggs and things that don't involve the killing of creatures that have a nervous system. So things without a nervous system don't feel pain when they die.

I think it's safe to say, it's more likely than not, a hunted or raised for food animal will generally feel less pain when it dies over some natural deaths.

As far as taking away their lives, ending it early, God said animals were to be food, so I have no problem at all with it. I love meat. But at the same time, I have no problem with the problems some have with killing animals for food. Up to the individual.

However, like the uppity vegan that has to bring it up just to show how good they are as opposed to us carnivores, just stay away from me. That I have a problem with.

Never ate a pet, but for those who have had semi farm pets...love em when they're alive and love em when they're dead.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I've heard in these forums that guns aren't OK, but yet we eat animals. In the sense of letting living creatures live I would have to say that killing your pets and eating them is evil. Not to be rude. But we use guns to kill and stay alive, and eating of animals is the same, we kill them and eat them to stay alive. Eat and live for another day. But we don't have to, we have beans and eggs and things that don't involve the killing of creatures that have a nervous system. So things without a nervous system don't feel pain when they die. That would be plants and eggs. But things that have a nervous system do feel pain when we kill them, that would be animals.

So the question I have is how do you feel about that?
I would like to be a vegetarian but haven't figured out how I would get all my amino acids. It would be especially challenging, I think, to get all my amino acids while traveling.

Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's safe to say, it's more likely than not, a hunted or raised for food animal will generally feel less pain when it dies over some natural deaths.

As far as taking away their lives, ending it early, God said animals were to be food, so I have no problem at all with it. I love meat. But at the same time, I have no problem with the problems some have with killing animals for food. Up to the individual.

However, like the uppity vegan that has to bring it up just to show how good they are as opposed to us carnivores, just stay away from me. That I have a problem with.

Never ate a pet, but for those who have had semi farm pets...love em when they're alive and love em when they're dead.

The bible is clear on the issue:

Genesis: {1:29} And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. {1:30} And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein [there is] life, [I have given] every green herb for meat: and it was so. {1:31} And
God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, [it was] very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

• Useful
Reactions: Stepcoach
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, there are certainly health benefits when done correctly, but we cannot really use the Bible to say we should not eat flesh.

True. I ran out of fun stuff to eat a few months back and put off going to the grocery store by eating pinto beans, rice and homemade bread, nothing else but vitamins. Once I realized I was losing a few pounds that was probably good for me, I put it off a little longer. Dropped 8 lbs in a 2 or 3 weeks period. Mainly because there wasn't a lot of tasty foods. I was never hungry, but beans and rice just get boring so didn't eat any more than I needed.

Great trade off/effortless weight loss.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Studies have shown that plants do have "feelings", they do have a memory and have responses to pain.
It's when we start projecting human emotions onto animals that muddies the waters.

See Genesis 9:3, yes it is clear.
Also Jesus ate the Passover meal, that included lamb

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Genesis: {1:29} And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. {1:30} And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein [there is] life, [I have given] every green herb for meat: and it was so. {1:31} And
God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, [it was] very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Those are good and valid verses, however, we cannot pick and choose the verses of the Bible when interpreting scripture, we have to take it as a whole. There are also many, many verses that speak of how to make sure animals are kosher, how to prepare them, and examples of people eating flesh, including Jesus himself.

In the end, based on scripture, it is good if one chooses to be vegetarian, but it is not evil if one chooses not to do so.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

You are really telling me we aren't to eat meat? If so, yes, the bible is clear, you are not.

After the flood:

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

And how anyone can miss the old law concerning what meats were allowed for the Jews, and what were not, IDK?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Studies have shown that plants do have "feelings", they do have a memory and have responses to pain.

True. When exposed to rock 'n roll music they whither and die (they do like the classics however).

Upvote 0

Humble me Lord

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2017
The far north icebox
✟190,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, that is very interesting about the effects of music on plants. I read that marijuana growers play classical music to the plants and have very good results.

*Time to order a sound system for my high tunnel garden!

• Haha
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are really telling me we aren't to eat meat? If so, yes, the bible is clear, you are not.

After the flood:

Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

And how anyone can miss the old law concerning what meats were allowed for the Jews, and what were not, IDK?

But animals put to death so you can live seems harsh. What if you got put to death so others could live, like a warrior in a war, said to you kill or be killed so we can be free of extermination, like in WWII and the germans. Does that make sense?

• Prayers
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

devin553344

Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, that is very interesting about the effects of music on plants. I read that marijuana growers play classical music to the plants and have very good results.

*Time to order a sound system for my high tunnel garden!
Plants don't have a nervous system as we would recognize, they might having something that mimics it, but we can't be sure they feel pain and suffering.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But animals put to death so you can live seems harsh. What if you got put to death so others could live, like a warrior in a war, said to you kill or be killed so we can be free of extermination, like in WWII and the germans. Does that make sense?
Simply put, animals do not have souls and animals do not equal people. This does not mean they do not feel pain, want, or desire, but they are not sentient beings so they do not feel them in the same way as we do. We want to treat them well, and it is in God's will for us to treat them with respect, but Biblically it is OK to eat animals, there really is no denying that.

However, if one chooses not to, that is great, but judgement is not OK on the other end as it is clear it is not sinful to eat animals.

Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Netgear

A Dog On A Mission
Feb 23, 2018
Pontliw
✟6,402.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced

What about animals put to death in sacrifices in the OT? Did not God want that?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But animals put to death so you can live seems harsh. What if you got put to death so others could live

I get it, but trust God, if he said it was ok, then it is. And my simple mindedness is at least backed by God, so...:)

like a warrior in a war, said to you kill or be killed so we can be free of extermination, like in WWII and the germans. Does that make sense?

Bad things happen, but don't really have any bearing on this. They never make sense, nor are they right, but are going to happen regardless. It's not something we can use to make a point with.

Upvote 0