Eastern Orthodox is the bishop of Rome the successor to Apostle Peter?

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for your response.
Do Orthodox believe all Bishops are successors to Peter? If so why?

Also does the Orthodox Church officially believe that Peter was the rock mentioned in Matthew?
You are Peter and on this rock...?

yes, all bishops are successors of St Peter since all are called to make his confession of Faith. speaking historically, Antioch was founded by Peter before Rome, so we are in communion with that historic line as well.

as for Peter being the rock, yes we believe that. we also believe the Fathers who said Christ is the rock, the confession itself is the rock, and the Apostles collectively is the rock. all are true.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
yes, all bishops are successors of St Peter since all are called to make his confession of Faith. speaking historically, Antioch was founded by Peter before Rome, so we are in communion with that historic line as well.

as for Peter being the rock, yes we believe that. we also believe the Fathers who said Christ is the rock, the confession itself is the rock, and the Apostles collectively is the rock. all are true.

Please tell me what you think of this interpretation of Matthew 16.

“When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” “Well,” they replied, “some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.” Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭16:13-19‬ ‭NLT‬‬

What just happened here? Peter had just received guidance from the Holy Spirit. He had been given information straight from God. This is the first time the Holy Spirit had ever revealed Himself to any of the apostles according to the scriptures. At this point they hadn't been taught about the Holy Spirit yet. This is why Jesus says to Peter upon this rock I will build my church. The church is built on the Holy Spirit. It was because Peter had received guidance from the Holy Spirit that Jesus says that to him. It is also why the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven WILL BE given to him. What exactly are the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven? Again the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit unlocks the doorway to the Kingdom of Heaven and Jesus is the doorway.

What are your thoughts on this interpretation?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Please tell me what you think of this interpretation of Matthew 16.

“When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?” “Well,” they replied, “some say John the Baptist, some say Elijah, and others say Jeremiah or one of the other prophets.” Then he asked them, “But who do you say I am?” Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Jesus replied, “You are blessed, Simon son of John, because my Father in heaven has revealed this to you. You did not learn this from any human being. Now I say to you that you are Peter (which means ‘rock’), and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it. And I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven. Whatever you forbid on earth will be forbidden in heaven, and whatever you permit on earth will be permitted in heaven.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭16:13-19‬ ‭NLT‬‬

What just happened here? Peter had just received guidance from the Holy Spirit. He had been given information straight from God. This is the first time the Holy Spirit had ever revealed Himself to any of the apostles according to the scriptures. At this point they hadn't been taught about the Holy Spirit yet. This is why Jesus says to Peter upon this rock I will build my church. The church is built on the Holy Spirit. It was because Peter had received guidance from the Holy Spirit that Jesus says that to him. It is also why the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven WILL BE given to him. What exactly are the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven? Again the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit unlocks the doorway to the Kingdom of Heaven and Jesus is the doorway.

What are your thoughts on this interpretation?

I don't dispute what you said, however, nowhere in Scripture is this only tied in to Rome. and this may have been St Peter's first Revelation, but according to Scripture, this is not the first time it happened to an Apostle.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't dispute what you said, however, nowhere in Scripture is this only tied in to Rome. and this may have been St Peter's first Revelation, but according to Scripture, this is not the first time it happened to an Apostle.

Yes I agree that this is not limited to RCC. Peter established the church in Antioch before going to Rome. I’m not even sure if it was Peter who established the church in Rome. It could’ve possibly been Paul. Can you please elaborate on the Holy Spirit guiding the apostles before Matthew 16? I’m very anxious to study that.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes I agree that this is not limited to RCC. Peter established the church in Antioch before going to Rome. I’m not even sure if it was Peter who established the church in Rome. It could’ve possibly been Paul. Can you please elaborate on the Holy Spirit guiding the apostles before Matthew 16? I’m very anxious to study that.

I am for the first time studying the doctrines of the Eastern Orthodox Church. So far I am very impressed with what I’ve learned but I haven’t really had a chance to get a good picture of what the church teaches. I wanted to ask a few questions if that is ok. Is it true that the Orthodox Church doesn’t teach purgatory? Do you believe in forgiveness of sin after death? Do you believe in temporal punishment after death? I also read that you don’t pray the rosary instead you pray a series of prayers to Jesus. I think that is great. Praying the rosary concerns me because according to what I’ve read RCC pray the Hail Mary 10 times and pray Our Father only 1 time which seems backwards to me and a dangerous practice. To me the rosary is honoring Mary more than God and that scares me. What are your thoughts?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

chronologically, Nathaniel confesses Christ in John 1 which was long before St Peter did.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am for the first time studying the doctrines of the Eastern Orthodox Church. So far I am very impressed with what I’ve learned but I haven’t really had a chance to get a good picture of what the church teaches. I wanted to ask a few questions if that is ok. Is it true that the Orthodox Church doesn’t teach purgatory? Do you believe in forgiveness of sin after death? Do you believe in temporal punishment after death? I also read that you don’t pray the rosary instead you pray a series of prayers to Jesus. I think that is great. Praying the rosary concerns me because according to what I’ve read RCC pray the Hail Mary 10 times and pray Our Father only 1 time which seems backwards to me and a dangerous practice. To me the rosary is honoring Mary more than God and that scares me. What are your thoughts?

correct, we do not teach purgatory. folks can be saved after death through the Church and her prayers. and yes, our common meditative prayer is asking Christ to have mercy on us.

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Also the necessity of temporal punishment (before or after death) is a Latin Catholic belief. In many cases we do suffer consequences as a result of our sin (or we may cause others to suffer) but it is not because God inflicts x-amount of punishment for sins committed.

Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes but Nathaniel wasn’t an apostle. John the Baptist also proclaimed Jesus.

Nathaniel absolutely was an Apostle. He witnessed the risen Christ, and was sent forth after Pentecost. there were the 12 Apostles and also the 70.

and you are right about the Forerunner

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nathaniel absolutely was an Apostle. He witnessed the risen Christ, and was sent forth after Pentecost. there were the 12 Apostles and also the 70.

and you are right about the Forerunner

Wow thanks for sharing that brother I am unaware of the 70 apostles.

• Winner
Reactions: prodromos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What is the Orthodox interpretation of 1 Corinthians 3:10-15 and Matthew 12:32?
What do you believe to sin against the Holy Spirit means?

and to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is is to look at goodness of God and to prefer what is evil. so there is no forgiveness because the forgiveness that is offered is rejected.

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,442.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
and to blaspheme the Holy Spirit is is to look at goodness of God and to prefer what is evil. so there is no forgiveness because the forgiveness that is offered is rejected.

I thought to blaspheme against the Holy Spirit is to never accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior. Everyone who does evil can still be forgiven if they repent and confess.

Upvote 0