✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I could probably just look this up but wanted to get some personal takes on it also - are Eastern Orthodox beliefs about Mary essentially the same as Catholic beliefs (perpetual virginity etc)? If this is so, if a person wants to join the EO church would they be required to express faith in these ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Orthodoxy does not officially accept the Immaculate Conception, whereas it is a required belief for Roman Catholics. However, there is room for doubting in Orthodoxy on this matter as with others since the objection is more to the act of defining (as the RC have done) and less to the actual belief. Many EOs think this belief does not need to be dogmatized and, also, is beyond proving true by either Scripture or Tradition.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Orthodoxy does not officially accept the Immaculate Conception, whereas it is a required belief for Roman Catholics. However, there is room for doubting in Orthodoxy on this matter as with others since the objection is more to the act of defining (as the RC have done) and less to the actual belief. Many EOs think this belief does not need to be dogmatized and, also, is beyond proving true by either Scripture or Tradition.

Thanks Albion - how about the idea of 'perpetual virginity', i.e. that Mary & Joseph didn't have normal marital relationships, and that Jesus didn't have half-brothers and sisters

Tom

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Perpetual virginity of Mary is an accepted doctrine in the Orthodox Church. I'm unsure of its dogmatic status, but questioning it for an EO would be generally considered impious, and it is a doctrine than is expressed in the liturgy of their church. They regard Mary's body as consecrated to God, much as Catholics do, though their tradition as a whole has a less negative view of sexuality.

• Useful
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Albion - how about the idea of 'perpetual virginity', i.e. that Mary & Joseph didn't have normal marital relationships, and that Jesus didn't have half-brothers and sisters

Tom
Yes, they believe all of that.

• Useful
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
BTW, traditionally, and generally, most Protestants believed in Mary's perpetual virginity as a received tradition. It's only been in the relatively recent past that has changed, perhaps due to changing Protestant attitudes towards sexuality, that people find the doctrine incredible. Also, Mary's consecration to God wouldn't be a significant theme in most Protestant spirituality (with a few exceptions).

It's doctrinal status in the Lutheran church is ambiguous, most would say it is a pious opinion at best. It is definitely not a de fide dogma in our church.

• Useful
Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

I could probably just look this up but wanted to get some personal takes on it also - are Eastern Orthodox beliefs about Mary essentially the same as Catholic beliefs (perpetual virginity etc)? If this is so, if a person wants to join the EO church would they be required to express faith in these ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi, Tom.

EO do not believe in the Immaculate Conception as we believe it is completely unnecessary due to our different understanding of Original Sin.

We do believe in Her perpetual virginity, as that is something that has been believed & taught since very early in the Church.

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi, Tom.

EO do not believe in the Immaculate Conception as we believe it is completely unnecessary due to our different understanding of Original Sin.

We do believe in Her perpetual virginity, as that is something that has been believed & taught since very early in the Church.

Thanks - so there’s a belief in the virgin birth, and perpetual virginity, but not the Catholic immaculate teaching (I’m not so familiar with Catholic terminology but I can look that up)

Tom

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The question might be whether or not the EOs believe in the Assumption of Mary (bodily into heaven). That's the other obligatory RC doctrine.

The EO belief in the dormition of Mary is similar, but you'd better have Mary of Bethany or some other Orthodox Christian handle that one.

• Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thanks - so there’s a belief in the virgin birth, and perpetual virginity, but not the Catholic immaculate teaching (I’m not so familiar with Catholic terminology but I can look that up)

Tom

The Immaculate Conception has to do with Mary being given a special grace at her birth to keep her from the stain of original sin. A Catholic can explain it much better. We reject it because we don't believe we inherit a stain of sin. We are born fallen in a fallen world, with the propensity to sin, but not already stained with sin, so for us the IC is completely unnecessary. We also have some other problems with it, but that's the main reason.

Albion brought up the Assumption of Mary which is a Feast in the west. That is another thing we somewhat disagree on. We have a Feast called the Dormition (Death) of the Theotokos commemorating her death and subsequently being taken to heaven.

I believe we only have two absolute Dogmas regarding the Theotokos; one being that she *is* the Theotokos (birthgiver of God) which serves to protect the truth that Christ is fully God and fully man (it does not mean that she is His creator, or gave birth to God the Father or anything like that); and her ever-virginity. My apologies if I'm telling you things you already know!

Mary

• Informative
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Immaculate Conception has to do with Mary being given a special grace at her birth to keep her from the stain of original sin. A Catholic can explain it much better. We reject it because we don't believe we inherit a stain of sin. We are born fallen in a fallen world, with the propensity to sin, but not already stained with sin, so for us the IC is completely unnecessary. We also have some other problems with it, but that's the main reason.

Albion brought up the Assumption of Mary which is a Feast in the west. That is another thing we somewhat disagree on. We have a Feast called the Dormition (Death) of the Theotokos commemorating her death and subsequently being taken to heaven.

I believe we only have two absolute Dogmas regarding the Theotokos; one being that she *is* the Theotokos (birthgiver of God) which serves to protect the truth that Christ is fully God and fully man (it does not mean that she is His creator, or gave birth to God the Father or anything like that); and her ever-virginity. My apologies if I'm telling you things you already know!

Mary

Many thanks Mary. I know very little about the Eastern Orthodox faith, or that Catholic faith for that matter, so I appreciate the info,

Kind Regards,

Tom

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Many thanks Mary. I know very little about the Eastern Orthodox faith, or that Catholic faith for that matter, so I appreciate the info,

Kind Regards,

Tom
The Eastern Orthodox Church is the historical Church of your country. I dare say that many of your ancestors were Eastern Orthodox. If you are Romanian, that is :)
Have you heard of Elder Cleopa? He was a spiritual elder to many Orthodox Christians throughout the persecution of the Church under the rule of Communism and only passed away a few decades ago.
Elder Cleopa on the Eight Sources of Temptation

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Eastern Orthodox Church is the historical Church of your country. I dare say that many of your ancestors were Eastern Orthodox.
Have you heard of Elder Cleopa? He was a spiritual elder to many Orthodox Christians throughout the persecution of the Church under the rule of Communism and only passed away a few decades ago.
Elder Cleopa on the Eight Sources of Temptation

I’m not originally from Romania, but I’ll
Look that up, thanks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,656.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are a couple of books put together of Elder Cleopa's talks with enquirers. I will admit that I have a soft spot for this book primarily because my wife helped translate it into English. It was previously only available in Romanian and Greek.
The Truth of Our Faith

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are a couple of books put together of Elder Cleopa's talks with enquirers. I will admit that I have a soft spot for this book primarily because my wife helped translate it into English. It was previously only available in Romanian and Greek.
The Truth of Our Faith

I'll get a copy of it. Was it originally written in Romanian?

Thanks

Tom

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
BTW, traditionally, and generally, most Protestants believed in Mary's perpetual virginity as a received tradition. It's only been in the relatively recent past that has changed, perhaps due to changing Protestant attitudes towards sexuality, that people find the doctrine incredible. Also, Mary's consecration to God wouldn't be a significant theme in most Protestant spirituality (with a few exceptions).

It's doctrinal status in the Lutheran church is ambiguous, most would say it is a pious opinion at best. It is definitely not a de fide dogma in our church.

Agreed--though technically the Confessions do call her semper virgine.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0