Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The Latin dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin is utterly rejected by the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Faith. For us that dogma cannot even be a pious opinion, but would be heresy if ever it were to be found in the EOC. And the heresy is this: It denies the humanity of the Blessed Virgin, and thereby denies the humanity of Christ, which thereby denies the Salvation of man by Christ.

The reason it denies Her humanity is that by it, She was given a "special Grace" at Her conception which exempted her from the burden of the Original Sin of Adam into which ALL the rest of humanity is born except her. She thereby becomes the exception to all humanity in terms of Her life from its very beginning. A dogma that we do hold is that Christ became man in order that He heal man's fallen condition by His Own humanity, body and soul and will... What Christ assumed, that he healed, and what He did not assume, He did not heal... So that IF the Blessed Virgin had some "Special Grace" given to her at the very inception of Her conception, then it is THAT condition of humanity, which the rest of us do not have, that Christ then healed in His Own Body, soul and will... And because NONE of the rest of humanity HAS that condition, so therefore is OUR salvation by Christ's Incarnation made null and void...

Which is, as you can see, a very serious problem for that very false dogma...

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Russian Orthodox Winter Baptism, Valaam Monastery,
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Agreed--though technically the Confessions do call her semper virgine.

-CryptoLutheran
I had no idea... I have never even once in my many years of posting ever heard a Lutheran defending the doctrine of Her ever-virginity... So do you simply see this as a matter of cultural dogmatical shift for the Lutherans? Or does it simply write off the Confessions as pretty much archaic dead weight of histoeic but not vital interest?

Arsenios

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello,

I could probably just look this up but wanted to get some personal takes on it also - are Eastern Orthodox beliefs about Mary essentially the same as Catholic beliefs (perpetual virginity etc)? If this is so, if a person wants to join the EO church would they be required to express faith in these ideas?

Thanks,

Tom
We utterly and completely LOVE and REVERE the Blessed Virgin... Just as Christ is our intermediary to the Father, so also is She our intermediary to Christ... Indeed, when our prayers to Christ turn up dry and unanswered, (fresh sins, for instance, can have that consequence), She is our sure, faithful and powerful intercessor for help. Prayers to Her are a part of each and every Church Service, short or long... Without Her, Christ would not be human, and just as He entered His Creation through Her, so also do we, who are the creation into which He entered through Her, enter into Christ through Her. She is a figure of the Church, the Woman of Revelation pursued and persecuted by the Serpent, the ongoing state of Christians in the world...

She ever intercedes for us all, and She is the original Bride of Christ in the Marriage of the Lamb whose Union with Christ was consumated in Her womb, in which Christ was pleased to dwell for nine months in the flesh. So extraordinary is this most wondrous of all the Saints that Her life alone would have saved creation had there not been even one other human being who attained to union with Christ... She is the Mother of us all... The Mother who did not fail as did Eve... Her union with Christ is complete, total and final - To say that She has "motherly priveledge" with Christ, while true, trivializes Her relationship of union with Him...

John 17:3
And this is life eternal,
that they should be knowing Thee,

the alone True God, and Jesus Christ,
Whom thou hast sent.

She KNOWS Christ as no one else ever CAN know Him...
His Body came forth through Her body...
THAT is the Marriage of the Lamb...

God Bless you, Brother, on this the Birthday of our Lord - from Her...

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,148.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I could probably just look this up but wanted to get some personal takes on it also - are Eastern Orthodox beliefs about Mary essentially the same as Catholic beliefs (perpetual virginity etc)? If this is so, if a person wants to join the EO church would they be required to express faith in these ideas?

Thanks,

Tom
There are some good sites on the different Orthodox Church sites which answer question about this and other questions. I have some links on my computer if you'd like.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I had no idea... I have never even once in my many years of posting ever heard a Lutheran defending the doctrine of Her ever-virginity... So do you simply see this as a matter of cultural dogmatical shift for the Lutherans? Or does it simply write off the Confessions as pretty much archaic dead weight of histoeic but not vital interest?

Arsenios

I had no idea until it was pointed out to me that the Confessions say this:

"Filius ita factus eat homo, ut a Spiritus Sancto sine virili opera conciperetur, et ex Maria, pura, sancta sempervirgine nasceretur." - Smalcald Articles, Part I.IV

The English translation being,

"That the Son became man in this manner, that He was conceived, without the cooperation of man, by the Holy Ghost, and was born of the pure, holy [and always] Virgin Mary."

The "semper" in the English translation ends up being bracketed.

We would by and large classify it as adiaphora, neither commanded or condemned. Thus putting it in the category of pious opinion. I suspect it may be one of those things that Lutheran clergy and theologians are more familiar with and accept than necessarily the average member in the pews.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I had no idea until it was pointed out to me that the Confessions say this:

"Filius ita factus eat homo, ut a Spiritus Sancto sine virili opera conciperetur, et ex Maria, pura, sancta sempervirgine nasceretur." - Smalcald Articles, Part I.IV

The English translation being,

"That the Son became man in this manner, that He was conceived, without the cooperation of man, by the Holy Ghost, and was born of the pure, holy [and always] Virgin Mary."

The "semper" in the English translation ends up being bracketed.

We would by and large classify it as adiaphora, neither commanded or condemned. Thus putting it in the category of pious opinion. I suspect it may be one of those things that Lutheran clergy and theologians are more familiar with and accept than necessarily the average member in the pews.

-CryptoLutheran
I have never heard a Lutheran even defend it as a pious opinion...

The Orthodox faithful do not spend a whole lot of time on dogma either, but for us, when a vital matter that has dogmatic dimensions raises its head in the course of our Life in Christ, we flee to "them that have the rule over us" and ask directions...

Were there not some Lutherans starting an Orthodox style monastery a few years back?

How did that project turn out? (If you know)

Thank-you...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I have never heard a Lutheran even defend it as a pious opinion...

The Orthodox faithful do not spend a whole lot of time on dogma either, but for us, when a vital matter that has dogmatic dimensions raises its head in the course of our Life in Christ, we flee to "them that have the rule over us" and ask directions...

Were there not some Lutherans starting an Orthodox style monastery a few years back?

How did that project turn out? (If you know)

Thank-you...

Arsenios

On that I have no idea. There are Lutheran monasteries and Lutheran monastics though. Many of them use the Rule of St. Benedict. Ostanback Monastery in Sweden, St. Augustine's House in America, and the Priory of St. Wigbert in Germany are examples of Lutheran and/or ecumenical monasteries that follow the Rule of St. Benedict. Amelungsborn Abbey is one of the oldest, the first Lutheran abbot being Andreas Steinhauer, from 1555 to 1588. Lutheran monasteries are kind of anomalous, because of Luther's animosity toward "monkery", but Luther's own opinions on such things don't establish dogma or praxis; and there have been Lutheran monastics since the Reformation. Similarly there are Lutherans who have adopted a modified form of praying the Rosary. Some of this stuff is old, some of it is more modern; there is something of a Lutheran revival in many parts of the world that's been going on for several decades--a desire to emphasize our Lutheran-catholic identity by reconnecting with our Lutheran roots and the greater catholic whole of the historic Church.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Arsenios
Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There are Lutheran monasteries... Many of them use the Rule of St. Benedict.
Well, St. Benedict is Orthodox...

Thank-you for your informative post...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Latin dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin is utterly rejected by the Eastern Orthodox Catholic Faith. For us that dogma cannot even be a pious opinion, but would be heresy if ever it were to be found in the EOC. And the heresy is this: It denies the humanity of the Blessed Virgin, and thereby denies the humanity of Christ, which thereby denies the Salvation of man by Christ.

The reason it denies Her humanity is that by it, She was given a "special Grace" at Her conception which exempted her from the burden of the Original Sin of Adam into which ALL the rest of humanity is born except her. She thereby becomes the exception to all humanity in terms of Her life from its very beginning. A dogma that we do hold is that Christ became man in order that He heal man's fallen condition by His Own humanity, body and soul and will... What Christ assumed, that he healed, and what He did not assume, He did not heal... So that IF the Blessed Virgin had some "Special Grace" given to her at the very inception of Her conception, then it is THAT condition of humanity, which the rest of us do not have, that Christ then healed in His Own Body, soul and will... And because NONE of the rest of humanity HAS that condition, so therefore is OUR salvation by Christ's Incarnation made null and void...

Which is, as you can see, a very serious problem for that very false dogma...

Arsenios
Arsenios, good to hear from you. I saw and read your replies to my posts on another thread entitled, "Catholics vs Protestants". I wanted to reply to your posts, but the thread has been closed. So if you do not mind, I will reply here on this thread.

You made comments that the repentance of believers are the source of their salvation. That the works of believers is what saves them. This is common ground with the RCC in relation of works-salvation of the individual.

I will reply to these comments, with no insults or belittling. We are discussing theology, and I believe we can discuss it with others outside our own traditions with Love, not hate.

Our works as sinners or believers, do not save us. These works fall short of the glory of God. Being fallen in the first Adam, we are already condemned because of our sins before God. There is absolutely no way for us to make up for this, by our own efforts.

Which is why who first Loved us, sent the Last Adam to do for us, what we cannot do. We all are under a curse, and Christ became a curse for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God. All this is God's doing, not ours.

Believers do live a life of repentance, because it is a fruit of Faith in God who justifies the "UNGODLY". This is the good news for the ungodly. Not another set of rules and laws to be follow to be saved. We repent because we are made alive by God in Christ; given New Hearts and New Minds to live to God. Because we are already saved. Repentance is the fruit of being saved in Christ through Faith Alone!

Am I denying repentance here?

God Bless! In Christ our Covenantal King and Savior!

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Arsenios, good to hear from you. I saw and read your replies to my posts on another thread entitled, "Catholics vs Protestants". I wanted to reply to your posts, but the thread has been closed. So if you do not mind, I will reply here on this thread.

Well, it was getting a little raucous there!

You made comments that the repentance of believers are the source of their salvation. That the works of believers is what saves them. This is common ground with the RCC in relation of works-salvation of the individual.

Well, if that is what you heard me to say, then either I mis-spoke or you did not hear me aright...

I will reply to these comments, with no insults or belittling. We are discussing theology, and I believe we can discuss it with others outside our own traditions with Love, not hate.

Roger that!

Our works as sinners or believers, do not save us. These works fall short of the glory of God. Being fallen in the first Adam, we are already condemned because of our sins before God. There is absolutely no way for us to make up for this, by our own efforts.

Agreed, absolutely!

Which is why who first Loved us, sent the Last Adam to do for us, what we cannot do.

No question...

We all are under a curse, and Christ became a curse for us, so that we might become the righteousness of God. All this is God's doing, not ours.

Well, we are under a curse, but more importantly, we are dead... We are born dead, and the "curse" that God placed us under is a blessing for us... I will leave that one hanging for awhile...

Believers do live a life of repentance, because it is a fruit of Faith in God who justifies the "UNGODLY". This is the good news for the ungodly. Not another set of rules and laws to be follow to be saved. We repent because we are made alive by God in Christ; given New Hearts and New Minds to live to God. Because we are already saved. Repentance is the fruit of being saved in Christ through Faith Alone!

This theory contradicts the Prophet John the Baptizer of Christ who preached:
Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand...
And then Christ Who said:
The Kingdom of Heaven is suffering violence
And the violent are siezing it by force...

Am I denying repentance here?

Yes - You are claiming that we are given Life by God and therefore enter into repentance...
John the Baptist came first, then Christ came after John...
Hence, repentance comes before Christ...
Violence (eg as heaven is now suffering) is repentance...

Repentance by man leads to Salvation by God...
That is why the Forerunner came before Christ...

And I would add that Salvation is not forgiveness of sins, nor is it even sinlessness...

Salvation is union with God, KNOWING the One True God in the MARRIAGE of the Lamb... IF you see a first encounter with God, which promises the Honeymoon, as Salvation, then you will be up against formidable barriers to the actual Marriage... Confusing the Call with Glorification...

God Bless! In Christ our Covenantal King and Savior!

Back at ya!

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This theory contradicts the Prophet John the Baptizer of Christ who preached:
Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand...
And then Christ Who said:
The Kingdom of Heaven is suffering violence
And the violent are siezing it by force...

Yes - You are claiming that we are given Life by God and therefore enter into repentance...
John the Baptist came first, then Christ came after John...
Hence, repentance comes before Christ...
Violence (eg as heaven is now suffering) is repentance...

Repentance by man leads to Salvation by God...
That is why the Forerunner came before

Arsenios
Thank you for your comments. I will highlight a couple of points, that I ask if you will clarify?

1) Repentance before Christ. In Protestant belief, Faith & Repentance is the proper response to the Gospel. But Faith & Repentance is not the good news or what saves us. Who Christ is and what he has done proclaimed through the Gospel is what saves the dead & the ungodly. We repent because we believe in Christ who came to save the ungodly; not the godly or righteous.

2)Please expound on Romans 4:5 for me.

Side note: If everyone is dead, how can they repent before having Christ? By placing repentance before Christ. The dead have too qualify first to have Christ. In other words they have too provide good works to be saved.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
1) Repentance before Christ.

John's was the baptism of repentance...

So pay attention to the sequence of stages here:

Rom 8:29-30
1: For whom He did foreknow,
2: He also did fore-ordain to be conformed to the image of His Son,
that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
2: Moreover whom He did fore-ordain,
3: them He also called:
3: and whom He called,
4: them He also justified:
4: and whom He justified,
5: them He also glorified.

Now 1: and 2: we cannot know...
And 3: I never hear about, but should
4: is proclaimed as Christ's "work" on the Cross
And 5: is ignored and assigned to heaven...

First God CALLS you...
The appropriate response to this CALL is repentance.
John came calling in the wildereness:
REPENT, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!

Subsequent to this repentance in response to God's CALL,
we are justified by Baptism into Christ...
Because Christ is the Justifier
He is in right relationship with the Father...
And IN Him, so are we...
And everyone who has been baptized INTO Christ
Has put on Christ [you know the text]

In Protestant belief, Faith & Repentance is the proper response to the Gospel. But Faith & Repentance is not the good news or what saves us. Who Christ is and what he has done proclaimed through the Gospel is what saves the dead & the ungodly. We repent because we believe in Christ who came to save the ungodly; not the godly or righteous.

John proclaimed the Good News:
1: The Kingdom of Heaven, long awaited by the Jews, is AT HAND, is here and now...
2: There is something you can DO about that fact - eg
3: Be ye repenting!
Because from the time of John the Baptist, the Kingdom of Heaven suffereeth violence
And the violent are taking it by force...
And the fact is that repentance is unto Baptism, after which we can repent even more, because now we are IN the Kingdom of Heaven, and you will recall that the Giants were not encountered until AFTER the Jews entered the Promised Land, crossing Jordan, the waters in which John Baptized Jesus...
It is Christ who saves us, and His Salvation is a Gift... It cannot be earned... But He gives it according to our obedience to His Commands...

So that it is in our repentance after Baptism that we find God Glorifying us according to His Mercy and purposes... The degree of our repentance is voluntarily up to us, you see - We CAN repent far more than we DO repent, but it is not forced on us, or taken over from us... The fallen state of man always has room for repentance according to our condition of soul...

2)Please expound on Romans 4:5 for me.

tw de Mh ergazomenw
But to him not working

pisteuonti
de epi ton dikaiounta ton asebh
but believing upon him justifying the unGodly

logizetai
h pistiv autou eiv dikaiosunhn
is accounted the Faith of him unto righteousness

Not doing works but believing in God leads to righteousness

The works he is referring to are the works of the Levitical Law of Moses...
He is NOT wspeaking of the works of repentance...

Side note: If everyone is dead, how can they repent before having Christ?

We are born dead - No if... Let the dead bury their dead - Christ's very words...
We are not, obviously, totally dead, but fallen from Life... We have in this life the power of choice between Good and evil, because Adam ate of the fruit of the tree of Knowledge of BOTH Good and evil, and God had told Adam that in the very day in which he ate of that fruit, he would die, and he did die that very day, and lived over 900+ years, and died... So this power to turn from and toward Good and evil is part of our fallen from Life human condition...

By placing repentance before Christ. The dead have to qualify first to have Christ. In other words they have too provide good works to be saved.

That is not true - We have to repent from evil thoughts, words and deeds, which is a good work that does not produce Good - For One is Good, yes? - eg it is merely a work that turns one's self away from evil insofar as one is able... The "walking in Good works" which is our purpose on earth is doing what God gives us to do when mature in the Faith... We are here, instead, looking to the works only of repentance, and not those of bestowing God's Grace... The latter, you see, in the sequence I showed you from Paul above, only comes with God's Glorification of those mature - perfected - in Christ...

I hope this is proving useful... Glorification is theosis... The Marriage of thte Lamb on earth with His Holy ones...

Arsenios

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
John's was the baptism of repentance...

So pay attention to the sequence of stages here:

Rom 8:29-30
1: For whom He did foreknow,
2: He also did fore-ordain to be conformed to the image of His Son,
that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.
2: Moreover whom He did fore-ordain,
3: them He also called:
3: and whom He called,
4: them He also justified:
4: and whom He justified,
5: them He also glorified.

In Protestant tradition we call this the Golden chain of Salvation (Romans 8:29). In other words God Promise, God's Oath saying, "I Will Do"; " I Will Be Your God, and You Will Be My People".

Baptism: Christian baptism, which has the form of a ceremonial washing (like John's pre-Christian baptism), is a sign from God that signifies inward cleansing and remission of sins (Acts 22:16; 1 Cor. 6:11; Eph. 5:25-27), Spirit-wrought regeneration and new life (Titus 3:5), and the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit as God's seal testifying and guaranteeing that one will be kept safe in Christ forever (1 Cor. 12:13; Eph. 1:13-14). Baptism carries these meanings because first and fundamentally it signifies union with Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection (Rom. 6:3-7; Col. 2:11-12); and this union with Christ is the source of every element in our salvation (1 John 5:11-12). Receiving the sign in faith assures the persons baptized that God's gift of new life in Christ is freely given to them. At the same time, it commits them to live henceforth in a new way as committed disciples of Jesus. Baptism signifies a watershed point in a human life because it signifies a new-creational engrafting into Christ's risen life.

J.I. Packer

If I may inquire a bit more. Can you expound on point 4 a bit more?
First God CALLS you...
The appropriate response to this CALL is repentance.
John came calling in the wildereness:
REPENT, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!

I agree that God calls us to believe and repent. Because a person that believes God, will repent. Because this repentance is fruit of the Holy Spirit in us that unites us to Christ. The living vine that gives us life to bear fruit.

Repentance:

Unbelievers need to repent of their immorality; religious people need to repent of their morality; both need the gospel of Jesus Christ.
Monergism

Evangelical repentance is ... a gracious principle and habit implanted in the soul by the Spirit of Christ, in the exercise of which a regenerate and believing sinner, deeply sensible of the exceeding sinfulness and just demerit of his innumerable sins is truly humbled and grieved before the Lord, on account of the sinfulness and hurtfulness of them. He feels bitter remorse, unfeigned sorrow, and deep self-abhorrence for the aggravated transgressions of his life, and the deep depravity of his nature; chiefly, because by all his innumerable provocations he has dishonoured an infinitely holy and gracious God, transgressed a law which is "holy, and just, and good," and defiled, deformed, and even destroyed his own precious soul. This godly sorrow for sin and this holy abhorrence of it arise from a spiritual discovery of pardoning mercy with God in Christ, and from the exercise of trusting in His mercy. And these feelings and exercises are always accompanied by an unfeigned love of universal holiness, and by fixed resolutions and endeavours to turn from all iniquity to God and to walk before him in newness of life. Such, in general is the nature of that evangelical repentance, to the habit and exercise of which the Lord Jesus calls sinners who hear the Gospel."
- John Colquhoun

1. Repentance is taking full responsibility for the sin

2. Repentance is turning from the idol we serve to the true God

What do we mean by idols? How does that tie into sin? Sin is not just a transgression of a law of God. It involves a turning from God in unbelief and turning to something else as a "god". When I sin I am saying to God, "I do not trust you. I do not believe your way is good and best. I do not believe you are wise." In place of the true God I worship pleasure, a lover, a lie, my money, a career advancement, my reputation etc. We cannot worship God and sin. we cannot sin without worshiping idols. Deep in the heart of man there is a powerful pull of idolatry. We want to worship this other god because of the pleasure it brings us. That love for sin and out false lover can actually keep us from repentance.

- Mark Lauterbach - The Transforming Community 142-144

Subsequent to this repentance in response to God's CALL,
we are justified by Baptism into Christ...
Because Christ is the Justifier
He is in right relationship with the Father...
And IN Him, so are we...
And everyone who has been baptized INTO Christ
Has put on Christ [you know the text]

See my dear friend, in the Protestant Faith, we teach that Faith comes by hearing God's Gospel of Christ. We sinners repent because we believe in who Jesus is, and what he has done for us; which is proclaimed in the Gospel for the ungodly.
John proclaimed the Good News:
1: The Kingdom of Heaven, long awaited by the Jews, is AT HAND, is here and now...
2: There is something you can DO about that fact - eg
3: Be ye repenting!

As I stated before that repentance is the result of our justification in Christ receive through Faith Alone! Then once we are made right with God through Christ and His Perfect obedience to God. We then can live to God; which is a life of repentance. But prior to repentance we need Christ first. If we place repentance before Christ; meaning we have to measure up a certain amount of repentance before we can have Christ; then Christ is earn by it, and not freely given to us; the ungodly through a promise, and Christ died in vain.

Justified by Faith
Galatians 2
15We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

17But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. 20I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

This Arsenios is the good news for the ungodly. And once we are justified in Christ through Faith apart from the works. We can repent and live to God in Christ Alone!

Because from the time of John the Baptist, the Kingdom of Heaven suffereeth violence
And the violent are taking it by force...
And the fact is that repentance is unto Baptism, after which we can repent even more, because now we are IN the Kingdom of Heaven, and you will recall that the Giants were not encountered until AFTER the Jews entered the Promised Land, crossing Jordan, the waters in which John Baptized Jesus...
It is Christ who saves us, and His Salvation is a Gift... It cannot be earned... But He gives it according to our obedience to His Commands...

Christ is given to those who believe and trust God who justifies the ungodly. Christ is received with empty hands. Like a beggar who receives money or food. They did not earn it, or repent to receive it. They passively received it. So yes we receive Christ through Faith Alone; and we cannot offer anything for it; because everything we have is like dung, as Paul says.

And once we are in Union with Christ and made alive by God. We can live to God and repent, because we are now New Creations in Christ. We will not repent until our hearts of stone are made flesh (Alive by the Spirit).

Romans 10:8“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

14How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? 15And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!”

So its by the preaching of the Gospel that people hear and believe. This is the command, to believe and repent, in Christ who saves the ungodly.
So that it is in our repentance after Baptism that we find God Glorifying us according to His Mercy and purposes... The degree of our repentance is voluntarily up to us, you see - We CAN repent far more than we DO repent, but it is not forced on us, or taken over from us... The fallen state of man always has room for repentance according to our condition of soul...

tw de Mh ergazomenw
But to him not working

pisteuonti
de epi ton dikaiounta ton asebh
but believing upon him justifying the unGodly

logizetai
h pistiv autou eiv dikaiosunhn
is accounted the Faith of him unto righteousness

Not doing works but believing in God leads to righteousness

The works he is referring to are the works of the Levitical Law of Moses...
He is NOT speaking of the works of repentance...

I beg to differ. Christ is our Glorification. He is the One who "Finished it at the Cross", and was glorified. And we are Glorified in Christ, because we are in Union with Christ. And because we have Christ, and have all of His heavenly blessings as well.

Just curious, is the believer to obey and keep the Levitical Law? And what's the difference between keeping the Law & Repentance?
We are born dead - No if... Let the dead bury their dead - Christ's very words...
We are not, obviously, totally dead, but fallen from Life... We have in this life the power of choice between Good and evil, because Adam ate of the fruit of the tree of Knowledge of BOTH Good and evil, and God had told Adam that in the very day in which he ate of that fruit, he would die, and he did die that very day, and lived over 900+ years, and died... So this power to turn from and toward Good and evil is part of our fallen from Life human condition...

I will only quote scripture here, and ask you to explain it.

Romans 3:
No One Is Righteous

9What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all. For we have already charged that all, both Jews and Greeks, are under sin, 10as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;
11no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
12All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one.”
13“Their throat is an open grave;
they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of asps is under their lips.”
14“Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
15“Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16in their paths are ruin and misery,
17and the way of peace they have not known.”
18“There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

BTW, you exclude that we are condemned as well as dead in the first Adam (Romans 5).

That is not true - We have to repent from evil thoughts, words and deeds, which is a good work that does not produce Good - For One is Good, yes? - eg it is merely a work that turns one's self away from evil insofar as one is able... The "walking in Good works" which is our purpose on earth is doing what God gives us to do when mature in the Faith... We are here, instead, looking to the works only of repentance, and not those of bestowing God's Grace... The latter, you see, in the sequence I showed you from Paul above, only comes with God's Glorification of those mature - perfected - in Christ...

I hope this is proving useful... Glorification is theosis... The Marriage of the Lamb on earth with His Holy ones...

Arsenios

Thank you Arsenios for your comments. I hope I did not come off offensive? If I did, forgive me.

Union Christ we possess everything.

Upvote 0

Arsenios

Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2015
Washington
✟151,120.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
In Protestant tradition we call this the Golden chain of Salvation (Romans 8:29). In other words God Promise, God's Oath saying, "I Will Do"; " I Will Be Your God, and You Will Be My People".

Some do...

Baptism: Christian baptism, which has the form of a ceremonial washing (like John's pre-Christian baptism), is a sign from God that signifies inward cleansing and remission of sins (Acts 22:16; 1 Cor. 6:11; Eph. 5:25-27), Spirit-wrought regeneration and new life (Titus 3:5), and the abiding presence of the Holy Spirit as God's seal testifying and guaranteeing that one will be kept safe in Christ forever (1 Cor. 12:13; Eph. 1:13-14). Baptism carries these meanings because first and fundamentally it signifies union with Christ in his death, burial, and resurrection (Rom. 6:3-7; Col. 2:11-12); and this union with Christ is the source of every element in our salvation (1 John 5:11-12). Receiving the sign in faith assures the persons baptized that God's gift of new life in Christ is freely given to them. At the same time, it commits them to live henceforth in a new way as committed disciples of Jesus. Baptism signifies a watershed point in a human life because it signifies a new-creational engrafting into Christ's risen life. J.I. Packer

So according to the Bible, whom did Christ appoint to Baptize ALL the nations into Christ??
Do you agree that Christians are Baptized INTO Christ??

If I may inquire a bit more. Can you expound on point 4 a bit more?

Do you mean Justification?

As you know, it is the same word as righteous, and could easily be translated in that vein as "Rectifying", yes? Because it means to "make right with God"... And we agree that sin is never justified, yes? And we both agree that the righteous are justified... And that we are all called to be perfected in the Faith of Jesus Christ... eg To become fully mature in the Faith, freeing ourselves completely from the doing of all sin by means of vigilance in the guarding of the heart, yes? And that in these voluntary efforts, God's Grace makes us acceptable to God as we are progressively made right, made just, with God, living repentant lives and calling on the Name of the Lord day and night, yes?

So being made righteous - the dik- root in the Greek is the key - is God's doing through our voluntary repentance from our sins and our turning to Him... This is His doing, not ours... All we do is continue to live ever more and more repentant lives in obedience to the command: "Be ye perfect, as your Father in Heaven is also perfect..."

So that it is NOT that we are CALLED righteous by God when we are still glued to our sins, but that living in an ongoing state of repentance from these sins, we are progressively OVERCOMING them in our own hearts and bodies by His Grace working in us as we are working, and as we do so, God makes us Righteous, which is the real meaning of "TO JUSTIFY" - eg It means "to make right with God"... God Himself works that in us progressively, as we continue to become more and more repentant in our quest for Union with Him...

You see, the Gospel of Christ and God's Word as recorded in Holy Writ is first and foremost PRACTICAL... And the praxis of the Faith of Christ is primarily repentance - The denial of self, the turning away from the world, and the taking of the Cup of Salvation and calling on the Name of the Lord, as David writes...

Unbelievers need to repent of their immorality; religious people need to repent of their morality; both need the gospel of Jesus Christ.

Did you really mean to say that believers need to become immoral, and unbelievers moral???
Christian virtue is repentance from sin...

As I stated before that repentance is the result of our justification in Christ received through Faith Alone! Then once we are made right with God through Christ and His Perfect obedience to God. We then can live to God; which is a life of repentance. But prior to repentance we need Christ first. If we place repentance before Christ; meaning we have to measure up a certain amount of repentance before we can have Christ; then Christ is earn by it, and not freely given to us; the ungodly through a promise, and Christ died in vain.

So why do the Righteous, Justified in Christ, need repentance??

Justified by Faith
Galatians 2
15We ourselves are Jews by birth and not Gentile sinners; 16yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.

17But if, in our endeavor to be justified in Christ, we too were found to be sinners, is Christ then a servant of sin? Certainly not! 18For if I rebuild what I tore down, I prove myself to be a transgressor. 19For through the law I died to the law, so that I might live to God. 20I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not nullify the grace of God, for if righteousness were through the law, then Christ died for no purpose.

You are suffering from an error in translation above at 2:16 -
It states plainly in the Greek: dia pistewv Ihsou Xristou
eg: Through (the) Faith OF Jesus Christ... Not through OUR faith, but through THE Faith OF Jesus Christ, the Faith He discipled to His Diciples and commanded them to disciple to US...

So its by the preaching of the Gospel that people hear and believe. This is the command, to believe and repent, in Christ who saves the ungodly.

The Gospel proclaimed is: "Repent for the Kingdom of heaven is at hand." If you hear this preached, and respond with repentance, you will be saved... The Gospel is a command, you see, to be obeyed... And that obedience is willful and voluntary, or it is nothing...

I beg to differ (from the idea of progressive repentance from Glory to Glory). Christ is our Glorification. He is the One who "Finished it at the Cross", and was glorified. And we are Glorified in Christ, because we are in Union with Christ. And because we have Christ, and have all of His heavenly blessings as well.

Paul tells us that God Glorifies those whom He hath justified [made right with God]...

Just curious, is the believer to obey and keep the Levitical Law?

If he is, I am lost!

And what's the difference between keeping the Law & Repentance?

Keeping the Law is an outward act - Observable and enforcable...
Repentance in an inward act - Not observable nor enforcable, but voluntary

BTW, you exclude that we are condemned as well as dead in the first Adam (Romans 5).

We all inherit Adam's death, by reason of which all have sinned...That death, (Adam's) IS the condemnation... Condemned to death...

Thank you Arsenios for your comments. I hope I did not come off offensive? If I did, forgive me.

Back at ya!

Arsenios

Last edited:
Upvote 0